carat
color
clarity

Help! In need of dark green gem cushion studs for baby sis's 35th bday

giamari23

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

Sorry for the very long subject line, but I don't post often to this side of the forum so am not as certain as to what's as useful. If this isn't the right of the woods to post please let me know.
My baby sister, who is my absolute pride, joy and the best gift my parents every brought me home, is turning 35 and has asked for jewelry! She never does as much and I was overjoyed to tasked with the project, albeit with not much time as her birthday is the end of the month and I'd like to have it before her birthday (the 29th). I was given some specifications as to what she would like and I'm going to include them below and I am wide open to suggestions. I am already indebted to many people on this forum for helping my family, and myself and I am confident you guys will point me in the right direction.

To start my sister provided me with image below as the example of the shape she is looking for and the color but without the gold prong/posts:

Her requirements:
* dark green stones
*they can be natural or manmade, she doesn't care as long as they look right.
*she want's them more cushion shaped as below, they could even have a halo around them with diamonds or CZs or white sapphires.
*the photo below is the precise right color green and shape of the stones but she wants white gold, silver or a white metal for prongs/post.

Screenshot 2018-11-11 21.26.51.png
she also included the following information:
She was considering jade previously, I suggested emeralds, but I know you guys are also aware of a multitude of other gem stones and this isn't my expertise at all. I had thought of paraiba tourmaline but I think it's too light.

So I was hoping for help as to a few things:

1) what types of stones might do the trick besides emeralds and what online vendors could I use to secure them?
2) If I did do emeralds, lab or natural, where would be the best online vendors to secure them?
3) I am looking for suggestions and/or resources so I can do the right research. I know it on the diamond side but not this side.

Because I don't know what other stone options there are besides emeralds, it's hard to figure choices and know what the budgets should look like. So, any help will help me narrow that too.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
In that shade of green you would be looking more at Brazilian emeralds more so then Colombian.
Another gem worthy of consideration and more price friendly would be what is called “chrome tourmaline”. It is a nice deep green. Sapphires also come in green.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a few candidates on eBay (I’m a huge eBay shopper) but what is your budget - you can get silver with CZ or zircon for around $100 but I found 2 nice options in gold with diamonds for $700 and $900.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I suggest tourmalines. Prices are reasonable at darker shades.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I think tsavorite garnets are perfect for what your sister is looking for. They are not cheap though (but cheaper than what paraiba would cost you). And they are rarely treated if at all.

I agree with everyone’s suggestions of green/chrome tourmalines as the affordable option. And also do look into green sapphires. Some of them come in dark green and as they are less popular, will be affordably priced.

Last edited:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Another deeper green stone is Chrome Diopside. It should be quite affordable in earring size too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely gift idea for your sister's birthday. I would contact Elle at The Gemstone Project and see what she might recommend.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGemstoneProject

She does beautiful work and has beautiful gemstones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Second, third, whatever it is by now, for tourmaline. It's cheap, that right dark green, and easy to source.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Try reaching out to Dana at Mastercut gems for the green tourmaline. I don’t usually see pairs on his website, but he always seems to have a good inventory of darker green tourmaline.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ivy New York has plenty listed under Tsarovite and Tourmaline.

I picked this pair at random, but you probably have 12 or so pairs to rummage through

https://ivynewyork.com/collections/tsavorite-1/products/tsavorite-2-58-ct-2-pcs

Everything is going to be darker in real life, so I would guess these would be dark green.

Otherwise rioux rocks may have something, or bayoto gems (poeple have had trouble occasionally with the payment setup here, as he may or may not take paypal).

I would just check she wants something so dark, and also how big does she think these things will be? If she is envisioning 1 cm stones in each ear, then 6 mm ones are going to be a disapointment. We'd be better off finding you something bigger in that case.

Edit -- you have ready made options too

https://www.mineralminers.com/cgi-b...blue-tourmaline-earrings.jpg&Iname=Blue-Green Tourmaline Earrings in 14k Gold %7Ctblj211y

But I think you could get nicer options by finding the stones and settings seperately.

Last edited:

giamari23

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I wanted to reply to you all just now as the day has been so much busier than I expected.
This has all been immensely helpful!

My sister apparently had resigned herself to cheap earrings, now is very excited by the tourmaline and the Tsarovite. I think I have her interested in working with me to picking the stones separately and working to set them separately as many of you folks have recommended.

I am loving what I am seeing on ivynewyork for visualizing this. I will take more looks and will reply more fully to everyone tomorrow.

But seriously you guys rock (heh, gem joke).

I'll be back with more later.

giamari23

Shiny_Rock
Premium
OK I'm going to go back through the resources you guys gave me no armed wit this new image and see what I can do but if you guys happen to feel inspired by the link let me know and thank you a thousand times over for the help.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results