shape
carat
color
clarity

Halo to solitaire size ratio? Need large solitaire to match 1ct halo?

Melrichards

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! I’m after some help I’ve had a search on the forum and found some really useful info so far :)

I’m leaning towards a solitaire ring however obviously these are more expensive as it’s just one rock. I like the size of a 1ct halo but when I checked sizes side by side that means I’ll need a 3ct solitaire is that right?

I have 4.5 fingers and on the forum people seem to suggest a 2ct would be enough. This doesn’t get over the fact that when I measure side by side, to get the same size as a 1ct halo I think I need a 3ct solitare? Which is crazy expensive so a problem!

I feel like I’m missing something as I am quite new to this. Thanks in advance :)

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It is quite a change of look overall not just diameter... I do not see how you could decide if two carats will do unless you try one such solitaire on.

Two carat diamonds look great in halos too. It goes on from two to neverland & back again (there are stories around here!)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not entirely sure I understand the question. Are you talking about just diameter, or look in general?

Melrichards

Rough_Rock
Sorry I wasn’t that clear. I’m set on a solitare design I just don’t know what size I’m after. Budget isn’t really an issue. I like the size (in terms of surface area) of a 1ct oval halo. Although Diamond Exchange didn’t have any oval solitares larger than 1ct for me to try on, they had the diamonds by themselves in a case.

Just looking at surface area, it looks like I’ll need a 3ct solitare to match the 1ct halo size which I’m after. Does that sound right or is there something I’m missing? Will the setting make a difference for example? Thanks!!! Sorry It’s all a bit new and confusing :lol:

Reactions: AV_

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
depends on the size of the melee in the halo plus how the metalwork is done but likely somewhere between 2 & 3 ct would give the spread you are after. do you have an opportunity to try ovals this size on in person or perhaps order some cz versions in the sizes you are considering to take for a test drive?

brl_oval_diamond_size_chart.jpg

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would challenge the assertion that halos give you more value for your money over solitaires. Frankly, high quality halos are expensive. Just as there are 1 carat diamonds you can buy for $500, there are very inexpensive halos. Doesn't mean you should buy either of them.

Pave settings in general are not good investments for resale (settings period, really). They can take damage much more easily than a single diamond and have to be worn with care. If you are deciding between a halo setting and a smaller diamond solitaire with a great upgrade policy to get the larger look, the upgrade policy gives you greater value and flexibility. Going with a smaller well cut diamond, combined with a compromise on color or clarity, in a nice affordable solitaire with a good upgrade policy will allow you to get to your dream size/color/clarity eventually with less loss of value than a halo that you would have to replace if you upgrade. Or if it takes damage.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I do want to add that one area where I love halos is earring jackets. 1) You do not get hard wear on your ears so they don't take daily damage from wear and tear 2) give you a huge size boost on two diamonds (saving a ton of money) and 3) you can get some lovely colored stone studs and make one pair of earring jackets into several pairs of earrings. You can still wear your studs on their own. And you get more than one pair of jackets or enhancers for a different look. They are usually more affordable than two larger diamonds. And if you want to sell, they sell well second hand if you stick to standard sizes.

I say all of this as the owner of a halo engagement ring (not original setting). Why do I have a halo? My diamond didn't have an upgrade policy and I would have lost too much money consigning. I would have much preferred to upgrade my diamond if I'd had the choice. Hindsight.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly I think you need to try things on in person in the sizes you think you think you want. I have been here almost 9 years now and always thought I wanted a 2 carat solitaire. But when I saw things in person I actually preferred the 1.5 and my fingers are a 6.5!! No my finger did not swallow it or anything like that. I was so confused after that visit because it challenged what I had always thought. Your fingers are even smaller so you may decide the 2 carat looks good to you and that is what you want.

It all depends on your eyes once you get it on your finger.
If one place doesn't carry what you want, drive out somewhere else. We go 45 minutes or so away because what my husband wanted in style and the knowledge I wanted was not necessarily the most local. We ended up going with an independent store who passed all of my little tests.
If you call ahead maybe they can find you the size diamond you want to look at as well. Never hurts to ask!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results