shape
carat
color
clarity

French V-cut / fishtail pave for larger stone eternity?

Divadly

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I like the way a French v-cut / fishtail pave eternity band looks, especially with step cut stones but this setting seems to be rarely used for eternity rings above 2 CT for any shape stones. Seems even harder to find with asscher or emeralds. I've only found one asscher band with this setting (at blue Nile?) in the 3 CT range. I like that the stones are set very low in this type of setting too.

Why is this setting so hard to find? Is this setting type not secure enough for larger stones (the prongs do look dainty but that's what I like about it) or is it just not popular?

I'm tempted to buy the eternity from blue Nile but not if it will = stone loss headaches down the line. Not worth that stress lol.

Thanks!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Links to BN ring would be helpful.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh that beautiful!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Decent price on it right now too. But makes me question why. Hence my wondering about the stability of the setting. ;)2

@Divadly - this is a VERY secure setting. Each stone has a basket in which it sits, then each stone has 4 prongs, as opposed to shared prongs, which you see on so many eternity settings. Shared prongs are plenty secure enough. This setting is even more so.

If you look at the profile, you will also see a stabilizer in the shape of an inverted V, protruding up the side of every individual stone, on both sides of every stone. Again, this setting isn't going anywhere!

From what I can tell by perusing the BN website for well over a decade at this point, Blue Nile Studio settings tend only to make one of each size, sell them, then they're done. This may have something to do with the discount - I'm not sure. But either way, H VS2 is a lovely quality for a ring like this, platinum is a high-end metal, and this is a well made ring ie there have been no corners cut with this one. So all up, this is a great buy.

And for what it's worth, for MANY years now, fishtail has been my favorite eternity setting style. All class, and I'd snatch this up PRONTO.

Divadly

Rough_Rock
@mrs-b thank you so much for your input! You have definitely made me feel more at ease! I bought the Blue Nile ring today ;)2 but I'm also waiting on a quote from GOG for a asscher u-prong eternity. Thankfully BN has a great return policy. Let's see what GOGs quote is and if I become torn between the 2 :tongue:.

Is there a BN asscher eternity purchase in your future???? Lol!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Divadly -

I'm so pleased you bought it - it's stunning!

I already have my asscher eternity! The diamonds were fabulous but the setting was a mess, so it was reset a couple of years ago. It's now a channel setting as I wanted something that would double more as a wedding band than an eternity ring. I'm very happy with it...and here's a couple of photos! :wavey:

ETA My stones are 7 points each. Yours are roughly 13.5 points each. So yours is going to pack some major oomph!

3 metal combo alt sets_2.jpg

img_8570.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry @Divadly - I should just add....

When I said 'the setting was a mess' - this WASN'T a Blue Nile ring. I bought it from a company in NY who had beautiful diamonds, but were trying out a new style of setting. I bought it for the stones, knowing I'd trash the setting and have something else made.

Which is exactly what I did. :))

Divadly

Rough_Rock
@mrs-b thanks and thanks for the setting clarification lol!

Gorgeous, gorgeous rings you have there! I've been lusting after a channel set band as well. Ugh! I need to slow down, it's becoming a problem. You're not helping :lol::lol::lol:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b thanks and thanks for the setting clarification lol!

Gorgeous, gorgeous rings you have there! I've been lusting after a channel set band as well. Ugh! I need to slow down, it's becoming a problem. You're not helping :lol::lol::lol:

Why, thank you very much! :mrgreen:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results