shape
carat
color
clarity

For Sale Feelers/advice from OEC fans - 3-4ct OEC pricing? sell myself or send it away?

sho nuff

Rough_Rock
I am in over my head and could use some advice from you wise PSers!

I was lucky enough to inherit a large bezeled OEC on a gold chain and I would like to sell it and not get ripped off. I contacted one diamond buyer (Farewelldiamond) and they estimated 12-18k, and they think the stone is a bit under 4ct.
My browsing of similar stones online makes me think 12-18k is too low. Some people recommended I list it on worthy.com or idonowidont.com. Would it save energy and money to leave this to the experts?

It was appraised for insurance purposes but I'm considering getting another, more thorough appraisal for resale value, maybe from someone who specializes in antique stones. I don't want to throw away money on all these appraisals and certifications if it's not necessary. Since I'm not in a hurry, I love the idea of keeping out a middle man if possible but I'm so clueless. What's the best first step? Take it out of bezel and get GIA report? Get professional photos? What is the ballpark I should list a stone like this?

I'm going to collect some more estimates from buyers locally (Boston) but I would love input from the knowledgeable PS community! Thank you!

IMG_8899.jpg
IMG_9010.jpg IMG_9011.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9008.jpg
    IMG_9008.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 12

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
If you are sure that you won't keep it to wear as is, my advice is to send it to GIA before making any other decisions on it. While GIA doesn't report angles for Old cuts, they are still the primary preference of many buyers.

It will be a few weeks before you get the report back, but when you do, the world of possibilities opens up and you will be armed with details that assist your next steps, whether sale, trade in, or consign.

Best wishes - and do let us know what you decide!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would even consider having it unmounted (granted its a bezel so the setting cant be reused) as I would imagine the grading report would be more accurate and selling it loose might be a bit easier. What a lucky piece to inherit

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in over my head and could use some advice from you wise PSers!

I was lucky enough to inherit a large bezeled OEC on a gold chain and I would like to sell it and not get ripped off. I contacted one diamond buyer (Farewelldiamond) and they estimated 12-18k, and they think the stone is a bit under 4ct.
My browsing of similar stones online makes me think 12-18k is too low. Some people recommended I list it on worthy.com or idonowidont.com. Would it save energy and money to leave this to the experts?

It was appraised for insurance purposes but I'm considering getting another, more thorough appraisal for resale value, maybe from someone who specializes in antique stones. I don't want to throw away money on all these appraisals and certifications if it's not necessary. Since I'm not in a hurry, I love the idea of keeping out a middle man if possible but I'm so clueless. What's the best first step? Take it out of bezel and get GIA report? Get professional photos? What is the ballpark I should list a stone like this?

I'm going to collect some more estimates from buyers locally (Boston) but I would love input from the knowledgeable PS community! Thank you!

IMG_8899.jpg
IMG_9010.jpg IMG_9011.jpg

I would even consider having it unmounted (granted its a bezel so the setting cant be reused) as I would imagine the grading report would be more accurate and selling it loose might be a bit easier. What a lucky piece to inherit

Hi @sho nuff, the stone has to be loose for GIA to evaluate it and as far as I know GIA does not unmount or mount stones so if that is what you are planning to do you could get your jeweler to unmount it for you.

Congrats on inheriting such a lovely piece and good luck!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
There might be a few of us right here on PS who would be verrry interested in that stone.
(Ahem.....me......for one ):twisted2:

Definetly agree, unmount, send to GIA. No guessing what you have, you'll know from a trusted source.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, have a jeweller unmount the diamond and send it away for a lab report. To get the best price, buyers expect a GIA report to be sure of colour and clarity. While you can sell the diamond loose, a simple 4 prong 14kt gold ring setting would make it more marketable. You can assume the buyer will have their own ideas for a setting but having it so it can be put onto a finger and admired makes it easier to sell.
There are a few vendors who will sell on consignment and that might be best. They charge around 20% but look after everything. They also get more “traffic”. Loupe Troop is free to use but obviously not everyone the $$$$$ to buy such a diamond. An Auction house is quicker but it depends who is there on the day and they charge both the seller (you) 20/ 25% AND the buyer 20%. I wouldn’t recommend eBay.
Given the age and style of the pendant setting/ chain (not really “current trend”) you might consider either setting another 10mm round gem (amethyst, blue topaz, Garnet are very economical choices) and sell that separately, alternatively sell for gold scrap.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
GIA does not, but AGS does grade set diamonds. If a buyer wants the stone loose and graded again loose, then, why not... I am lenient because one grade left or right in this neighbourhood is not of much consequence.

The necklace deserves a chance!

sho nuff

Rough_Rock
If you are sure that you won't keep it to wear as is, my advice is to send it to GIA before making any other decisions on it. While GIA doesn't report angles for Old cuts, they are still the primary preference of many buyers.

It will be a few weeks before you get the report back, but when you do, the world of possibilities opens up and you will be armed with details that assist your next steps, whether sale, trade in, or consign.

Best wishes - and do let us know what you decide!

Thank you! I don’t think I could pull off such a large stone, nor would I like it stashed away in a safe. I know there’s a good home out there.

sho nuff

Rough_Rock
Yes, have a jeweller unmount the diamond and send it away for a lab report. To get the best price, buyers expect a GIA report to be sure of colour and clarity. While you can sell the diamond loose, a simple 4 prong 14kt gold ring setting would make it more marketable. You can assume the buyer will have their own ideas for a setting but having it so it can be put onto a finger and admired makes it easier to sell.
There are a few vendors who will sell on consignment and that might be best. They charge around 20% but look after everything. They also get more “traffic”. Loupe Troop is free to use but obviously not everyone the $$$$$ to buy such a diamond. An Auction house is quicker but it depends who is there on the day and they charge both the seller (you) 20/ 25% AND the buyer 20%. I wouldn’t recommend eBay.
Given the age and style of the pendant setting/ chain (not really “current trend”) you might consider either setting another 10mm round gem (amethyst, blue topaz, Garnet are very economical choices) and sell that separately, alternatively sell for gold scrap.

Thanks so much for this detailed advice. Maybe I’ll attempt to sell it myself first on Loupe Troop once it’s graded. If I’m not successful, then on to plan B. Thank you!

sho nuff

Rough_Rock
There might be a few of us right here on PS who would be verrry interested in that stone.
(Ahem.....me......for one ):twisted2:

Definetly agree, unmount, send to GIA. No guessing what you have, you'll know from a trusted source.

Thank you! I would love for it to go to someone who would appreciate the history and uniqueness instead of risking it being recut. I’ll definitely post it here once I have the full report and a better idea of pricing.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try Grace at Jewels By Grace, even if you add in her commission she would probably get more than that. You could leave it in the bezel, cut the chain off it and turn it into a bezelled ring, it would sell for a lot more as a ring (or loose) than as is. If you don't want to send it to a lab Dave Atlas is a guru of old cut valuations, and he is also the person I'd recommend as a middle man to help you with a private sale if you advertise it on somewhere like Loupetroop or DiamondBistro;

https://datlas.com/

https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/

Is the stone eye clean under very close inspection? That will make a huge difference to the price of it.

Last edited:

sho nuff

Rough_Rock
0F8A76D6-8DD3-47E6-830D-B6214FBE4AEB.jpeg 8B472D5D-7B96-4622-BED9-3A03F2433E0F.jpeg 14DA1976-BF76-4105-8B28-A95FE2B8F500.jpeg
Try Grace at Jewels By Grace, even if you add in her commission she would probably get more than that. You could leave it in the bezel, cut the chain off it and turn it into a bezelled ring, it would sell for a lot more as a ring (or loose) than as is. If you don't want to send it to a lab Dave Atlas is a guru of old cut valuations, and he is also the person I'd recommend as a middle man to help you with a private sale if you advertise it on somewhere like Loupetroop or DiamondBistro;

https://datlas.com/

https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/

Is the stone eye clean under very close inspection? That will make a huge difference to the price of it.

Thanks for these recommendations! I’ll gather more information from local diamond buyers and then either reach out to Dave Atlas or another old stone guru before sending it out to GIA.

I don’t have a ton of diamond inspection experience, but it looks pretty clear when looking through a cheap magnifying glass. My grandma was a jewelry snob so I expect it was carefully chosen. I keep trying to capture on camera but I think a need a better lens.

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh WOW!
I can’t help with advise, but you have great advice already from PS’rs here.

I just had to say WOW! I love it, as is even, and what a wonderful inheritance....I like your Grandmothers style! :appl:
Good Luck!

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
That's just so beautiful! I am following just to see what you end up doing... that stone looks amazing. I would love to see it out of its setting. I am sorta hoping it stays in PSer-land.

sho nuff

Rough_Rock
I will definitely keep updating this thread with my progress. I would love for it to stay in PS Land, too! It’s not something I would have the opportunity to wear, so it seems wasteful to keep it. I want it to be in the hands of someone who appreciates old stones and will wear it proudly. I think my grandma would agree - she took great pride in the jewelry she selected.

I’m so happy PS still exists and is as welcoming and positive as I remember. Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread! :mrgreen:

I tried to take a photo outside but it was hard to capture the sparkle (anyone have diamond photo tips?). It is really quite a rock! I’m considering taking some of the proceeds and buying a smaller version to keep.
D237DD7A-2CC8-457C-93AD-F95A171FE678.jpeg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
The diamond is beautiful! Unless you want to let it go for a song, I think it will need a GIA report, not just an appraisal. Also, it is likely going to grade as round brilliant. I don't see enough characteristics for it to get an old European classification, but it might get Circular Brilliant. The appraisal lists culet as large but it looks medium from your photos. Does the culet stick out from the bottom of the bezel? That would make it more difficult to convert into a ring.

The appraisal lists dimensions as 10x10x6.5, which by calculation is about 4.16ct. Diamond color in the LMN range can look different in a bezel, and it might not be helping it in positive way right now since it's making it look more tinted than L in some pictures. I think it's worth unsetting and getting a GIA so you know exactly what it's worth before you list.

sho nuff

Rough_Rock
The diamond is beautiful! Unless you want to let it go for a song, I think it will need a GIA report, not just an appraisal. Also, it is likely going to grade as round brilliant. I don't see enough characteristics for it to get an old European classification, but it might get Circular Brilliant. The appraisal lists culet as large but it looks medium from your photos. Does the culet stick out from the bottom of the bezel? That would make it more difficult to convert into a ring.

The appraisal lists dimensions as 10x10x6.5, which by calculation is about 4.16ct. Diamond color in the LMN range can look different in a bezel, and it might not be helping it in positive way right now since it's making it look more tinted than L in some pictures. I think it's worth unsetting and getting a GIA so you know exactly what it's worth before you list.

This is great input, thank you. I agree that it’s worth unsetting and sending to GIA. The bezel isn’t doing it any favors.

The cutlet looks small to me (compared to my 1.6ct oec) so I’m not sure where the appraiser got that description. I’ll probably have another appraisal done by someone who specializes in older stones along with a GIA report. I’m not in a hurry so I might as well do it right. Thanks again!

sho nuff

Rough_Rock
Hi! Many thanks for all of your helpful input. I had the stone removed from the bezel (without totally destroying the setting, yay!) and we were able to get more accurate numbers.

It’s a 4.08 ct M color, and the jeweler estimated a VS1-VS2. Next step is to send it to GIA for official grades.

Then we will have better idea on pricing and where to list it. All suggestions and opinions are still appreciated!
F1C7E89A-5060-48A6-8195-0225593A1A27.jpeg 8E71C111-2ADA-4B01-805D-8B766CD244E5.jpeg D6F409FE-19C3-49EC-A4CB-94C4A4E4582A.jpeg
Please let me know if you have photo angle requests.

Last edited:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty stone. I'm anxious to see what GIA says! Have you thought about contacting Erica with Love Affair Diamonds? Me , personally, I wouldn't want to do all the leg work and shipping and questions about returns, etc. Let someone else handle all that. Plus lots of exposure to just the right clients.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty stone. I'm anxious to see what GIA says! Have you thought about contacting Erica with Love Affair Diamonds? Me , personally, I wouldn't want to do all the leg work and shipping and questions about returns, etc. Let someone else handle all that. Plus lots of exposure to just the right clients.

I agree, or someone like Jewels by Grace. I thought Erica had stopped taking consignment.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks amazing! Cant wait till you hear back from GIA!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is so beautiful. Gosh, a diamond like that at a price of $12,000 you’d be trampled In the rush!
Just consider your options carefully, no Need to rush a sale, a buyer for an appropriate price is out there.

Kasey Bug

Shiny_Rock
Something to keep in mind, the jewelers aren’t going to give you retail price for it. They’ll want to buy it for pennies and mark the price I like crazy as a resale. I’m going to sell my ring and stone because my husband is upgrading my 1.67 I VS2 diamond but my ring won’t hold a larger stone so shipping for both. I will have to keep your beautiful stone in my mind. Good luck!

sho nuff

Rough_Rock

I may take a stab at selling it myself first before reaching out to consignment or auction companies. I’ll more than likely end up going that route, but I’m in no hurry so I’d love to attempt to be involved in the process. I might use a jeweler as an intermediary for shipping/confirming the diamond matches the GIA report, etc. Or, depending on buyer’s location, I could meet them somewhere. I travel often. I suppose I’ll make a game plan once I get the report and consult PS experts.

sho nuff

Rough_Rock
Something to keep in mind, the jewelers aren’t going to give you retail price for it. They’ll want to buy it for pennies and mark the price I like crazy as a resale. I’m going to sell my ring and stone because my husband is upgrading my 1.67 I VS2 diamond but my ring won’t hold a larger stone so shipping for both. I will have to keep your beautiful stone in my mind. Good luck!

True! I could tell it was a game with lots of bluffing when I spoke to the jeweler. I rather cut out the middleman if I can find a unicorn buyer who plans to keep the diamond for themselves. It’s so hard to get a real idea of worth of these old stones. Finding comps online is tough since they are all so unique. I would probably be flexible on price for the right buyer!

sho nuff

Rough_Rock
A couple of photos because I’m procrastinating real work. It’s a very dreary Boston afternoon and it brings out the “warmth” of the M color on the upside down cutlet view. The top faces up brighter. I so wish it was just 1.5ct smaller so I could keep it.

36A2ABE1-AF54-4F4D-8901-AB16692FBE87.jpeg 070DB4BE-708D-4605-A7C7-F9521E052E85.jpeg

sho nuff

Rough_Rock
I hear you about the Boston weather. I am here too and I just lost power for a little bit.

I just wanted to write you and tell you how impressive your diamond is. And to get it as an inheritance...that is amazing.
I would so visit you just to look at it in person. (Just kidding). Good luck with your project!

It’s so miserable out. We didn’t lose power but I have friends who have been out for 12 hours!

Thank you. It’s so pretty, I hope it can find a home with someone who will wear and enjoy it. If you know of anyone local in the market, send them my way!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

here‘s a similar M VS1, $39k! It’s so lovely, is there no way you can see yourself keeping it? Maybe you’d be comfortable wearing it when you are older?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results