shape
carat
color
clarity

Evaluating an eBay diamond

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
B4700BA6-BD95-4F9D-BE35-C1B11BC3F9B8.png 413B20CC-FA5B-4ACA-9F2D-37D61F5EB68D.png ABD55247-A4B5-4E7C-B377-266C54A73A20.png

So I pulled the trigger on an eBay diamond, total impulse purchase but the price was so right and without realizing it I did some of the things I’ve read here to do to get a good ebay deal. I went with a seller with excellent feedback but doesn’t often sell old cut diamonds, and terrible pictures...but really it was just a risk, but the returns process was easy so I did it.

Anyway, I can’t really get a good picture, but I will attach anyway. I think my questions are, what should I do at this point to evaluate the stone? Does it matter even if I’m keeping it? It was listed as a 1 carat I color SI2, it is definitely eye clean, looks around the 1 carat mark, looks very, very white even from the sides but I’m not color sensitive so I am guessing it could be up to a K. For the price I paid I know I want to keep it, but I also may want to put it in another setting (I love the setting but it’s very thin). So I guess I am wondering if it’s worth it to put it in a new setting. What would you do to evaluate? I paid $1,400. I am really happy with the stone, it’s very pretty to my eyes. But whether it’s worth spending more money to reset, I don’t know. I know some of it is obviously just how much I like the stone.

Thanks!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi GG,

It appears to be a pretty stone but to make sure, get an independent appraiser to run an eye over it as mounting permits before your return policy runs out, it's impossible to tell anything about the stone without more info unfortunately.

I take it there's no lab grading report?

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Lorelei, thanks for responding! No lab grading report which I know is a big no. I want a one carat for one of two possible projects and this just seemed like a good price.

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
B4700BA6-BD95-4F9D-BE35-C1B11BC3F9B8.png 413B20CC-FA5B-4ACA-9F2D-37D61F5EB68D.png ABD55247-A4B5-4E7C-B377-266C54A73A20.png

So I pulled the trigger on an eBay diamond, total impulse purchase but the price was so right and without realizing it I did some of the things I’ve read here to do to get a good ebay deal. I went with a seller with excellent feedback but doesn’t often sell old cut diamonds, and terrible pictures...but really it was just a risk, but the returns process was easy so I did it.

Anyway, I can’t really get a good picture, but I will attach anyway. I think my questions are, what should I do at this point to evaluate the stone? Does it matter even if I’m keeping it? It was listed as a 1 carat I color SI2, it is definitely eye clean, looks around the 1 carat mark, looks very, very white even from the sides but I’m not color sensitive so I am guessing it could be up to a K. For the price I paid I know I want to keep it, but I also may want to put it in another setting (I love the setting but it’s very thin). So I guess I am wondering if it’s worth it to put it in a new setting. What would you do to evaluate? I paid $1,400. I am really happy with the stone, it’s very pretty to my eyes. But whether it’s worth spending more money to reset, I don’t know. I know some of it is obviously just how much I like the stone.

Thanks!!!
You can bring to any local jeweler to have a look and they can give you a rough estimate about color/ clarity! Also I would examine the girdle for nicks/chips cause they are so common with old stones so maybe it needs more protective setting! Maybe a bezel ? If you like the look!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't tell them you just bought it from eBay. Just say it's a family piece and you'd like to know a little more about it. I like the look of it and what a nice price ;-)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely get it checked, if only to know you’ve got a diamond. I think it looks like a great score for such a nice price - teeny wee table, chunky facets and not ridiculously chipped and dinged :appl:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done. I’m an eBay guru and that was a great price.
The diamond looks secure, check by using your fingernails on either side of the diamond (between the prongs) try and wiggle the diamond to see if you can get any movement. Movement isn’t good. The four prongs are covering the diamond so that’s fine too. Look carefully to see if all prongs are solid down to the ring mount, look for any cracks or super think bits.
As for estimating size, that’s a bit tricky with OEC because of the dome top, but if it’s close to 6.3 across in width, that’s around 1 carat. Carat is a weight, so a 1 carat round brilliant is about 6.3mm wide.
All that said, do be cautious buying gems on eBay.
There are plenty of synthetic or heavily treated gem out there. And people can and do replace gems in antique or vintage settings so an “old ring” doesn’t guarantee a genuine gem. Diamonds are harder to “fake” in an OEC cut (you’re very unlikely to find a CZ in an OEC cut) but there are Moissanite in OEC cut.
And advised, take it along to your local jeweller, one that has a bench ie he can do repairs, ask him/ her to look it over for you. Of course say you inherited it from great aunt or similiar. If it does need a setting repair the jeweller can help you out there.
Enjoy, it’s very beautiful.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much, I am grateful for the help and ideas!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh what a find! Can you post more pictures? Maybe handshots?

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes I will take some. My phone seems to really not want to take shots of diamonds anymore, ever since I upgraded. I think it’s a good find, at least I hope so!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Lorelei, thanks for responding! No lab grading report which I know is a big no. I want a one carat for one of two possible projects and this just seemed like a good price.

You're welcome! I'd personally choose an independent appraiser rather than a jeweller to get an unbiased opinion on this stone, an appraiser won't have a dog in the race like a jeweller might and can check the stone out for you.

If it checks out then great and that there's no damage to the stone itself as far as can be seen whilst mounting, fantastic!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone and really Beautiful setting too!

If you decide to reset her, please know some of us would be interested in the old setting, I’m looking for a mount for my stone and some others here are also.

But it looks so gorgeous as it is, original! Congratulations on such a great find! :)

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the way that diamond pulls colors out of its surroundings! It was a great buy if it checks out to be a diamond.

DiamondZone on ebay (aka Ivy and Rose on Etsy) has some inexpensive settings that are very nice looking if you decide to go that route.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A rough estimate of weight, color, and clarity isn’t usually what people want.

The difference in value between a 1.00+/I/SI2 and a 0.88/K/I-2 is on the order of a factor of 5, and yes that’s within the margin of error for an amateur estimating without tools, a careful inspection, and a bit of training, and a fair amount of practice. ‘Free’ appraisals by the staff at jewelry stores are routinely worth less than they cost.

None of this may matter, but if you care about these things, seek out a credentialed appraiser.

<soapbox off>

Congratulations on a happy purchase.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I hate to say this, but the way those colors are reflected inside the stone, it looks like moissanite to me.
I hope you get it checked.
Diamond refracts the colors out of the stone, moissanite refracts inside the stone as well.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
This ring looks familiar... I think the person you bought it from posted a similar thread when they bought it lol

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
GG, I think that you did lovely! I know nothing about appraisals but it seems like more knowledgable psers than me have that bit covered.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Just noticed this thread was started in April.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results