shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond studs advice please... all insights welcome!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hope this finds everyone well! Calling @diamondseeker2006, @LLJsmom, @mrs-b, and anyone else who has a pair of studs that they absolutely love!! I am considering a diamond studs project for 2019 and wanted to get some advice on how close certain specs need to be for a matching pair. I will certainly keep color/clarity the same, and spread and table size comparable, but how close do the CAs/PAs and LGFs need to be? And for that matter, ideally how close should the table sizes be? I am still figuring out what size and color to go for (looking at a range between 1.6 and 2.1 ctw, probably G/H color), and although there are many seemingly great options, the perfectionist in me just wants everything to match as closely as possible! I really want these to be my "forever studs" so I am determined to get this right. All insights and opinions are welcome... and of course I will probably think of additional questions along the way as well! Many thanks in advance!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're on the right track. One reason I like Whiteflash for studs is because I know of no other place where it is easier to match a pair of diamonds. They cut their stones within tight parameters, so it is generally easy to find a pair. If possible, I try to keep table size within one percent, and I'd prefer the lgfs to be within one. I also like diameter numbers to overlap or at least touch. But I'd make slight exceptions, if needed. I absolutely would have color the same, but I have had a pair of VS2/SI1 just because those were the best match. But every other pair including the current and final pair are H VS2.

So here's an example:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3999639,4027960

Diameters overlap, lgfs both 77, but tables are 54.8 and 56.7. I think when viewing in actual size, that would not look too different. So I would find this pair acceptable.

They are low in the 1 ct G-H VS range at the moment. I usually have VS1-SI1 in my search, although I would not match a VS1 with an SI1. But if there was a great VS2-VS1 match and the cost wasn't a lot more, I would do that match or a VS2-SI1 match.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my studs. I have had them since 2014 and haven’t wanted to upgrade them. Matching meant only similar color and spread for me. One stone was my old ering and only good cut. It was a GIA F VS1 so very white. I bought a WF ES G SI1. Diameter matched closely. Good enough for me. Ctw was 2.3. If I could start over I would focus on color, spread and cut. I would be fine with WF ES. Or even GIA 3x as long as I was good with the cut. Color mattered a lot to me. I first bought WF ACA matching I’s for total 1.6. Wasn’t white enough or big enough for me so I returned them. So first, I guess you will need to figure out your must haves.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is all amazing advice; thank you both so much!! I am still getting a sense of size... I currently have a pair of 1ctw I SI1s from many years ago but I am looking to upgrade a bit, but I have pretty small earlobes so I don't want to go TOO big. Right now there are several possibilities that are enticing me. Let me throw these out there and see what you all think:

1.6ctw F VS1 (I don't think I need to go this high in color, though)
56.1/56.6
34.4/34.4
40.7/40.8
76/77

1.8 ctw H VS1
55.5/55.7
34.5/34.5
40.8/40.8
75/76

2.1ctw G VS1
56.1/56.7
34.4/34.4
40.7/40.8
76/77

Obviously size is the first decision point, and perhaps I will order a .9 and a 1.1 just to get a sense of the difference on my ear. If anyone has any other thoughts on this all opinions are certainly welcome! Decisions, decisions! :wall:

mn_shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
This is all amazing advice; thank you both so much!! I am still getting a sense of size... I currently have a pair of 1ctw I SI1s from many years ago but I am looking to upgrade a bit, but I have pretty small earlobes so I don't want to go TOO big. Right now there are several possibilities that are enticing me. Let me throw these out there and see what you all think:

1.6ctw F VS1 (I don't think I need to go this high in color, though)
56.1/56.6
34.4/34.4
40.7/40.8
76/77

1.8 ctw H VS1
55.5/55.7
34.5/34.5
40.8/40.8
75/76

2.1ctw G VS1
56.1/56.7
34.4/34.4
40.7/40.8
76/77

Obviously size is the first decision point, and perhaps I will order a .9 and a 1.1 just to get a sense of the difference on my ear. If anyone has any other thoughts on this all opinions are certainly welcome! Decisions, decisions! :wall:

Based on the numbers alone, I would go for the 1.8ctw pair of H's for how closely they match in comparison to the others. BUT, I believe the rest of your diamonds are all in the colorless range, so would you be happy with H color stones for 'forever studs'?

Only you can know the answer to that, and maybe you're not as weird as I am about wanting things to match, but because my other significant pieces are E/F color, I've been trying find studs in that same E/F range for if/when I upgrade (which is hopefully sooner rather than later). My original studs from BGD were H and they were quite sparkly (and the cost savings of going down in color is nothing to sneeze at), so there's nothing wrong with H color by any means; but my preference is always for the icy white of DEF especially when compared side by side against higher color stones. YMMV. If you like colorless diamonds in general, but think F/VS is overkill for studs, then maybe G is a good happy medium?

I think you're on the right track with trying on the different sizes first and once you know what ctw works best, go from there. But I would also make sure you like the color for long-term if you are going several grades away from the pieces you currently have (and hopefully love). Best of luck with your search and I look forward to seeing the end result. :)

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Based on the numbers alone, I would go for the 1.8ctw pair of H's for how closely they match in comparison to the others. BUT, I believe the rest of your diamonds are all in the colorless range, so would you be happy with H color stones for 'forever studs'?

Only you can know the answer to that, and maybe you're not as weird as I am about wanting things to match, but because my other significant pieces are E/F color, I've been trying find studs in that same E/F range for if/when I upgrade (which is hopefully sooner rather than later). My original studs from BGD were H and they were quite sparkly (and the cost savings of going down in color is nothing to sneeze at), so there's nothing wrong with H color by any means; but my preference is always for the icy white of DEF especially when compared side by side against higher color stones. YMMV. If you like colorless diamonds in general, but think F/VS is overkill for studs, then maybe G is a good happy medium?

I think you're on the right track with trying on the different sizes first and once you know what ctw works best, go from there. But I would also make sure you like the color for long-term if you are going several grades away from the pieces you currently have (and hopefully love). Best of luck with your search and I look forward to seeing the end result. :)

This is great advice as well; thank you @mn_shopaholic! You make a lot of good points about keeping consistency with regard to color. I kind of think I would be fine with H color in earrings, though... perhaps I should just order one of them to see for myself! There is obviously a pretty hefty price jump from the 1.8ctw pair to the 2.1ctw pair, partly because of going up a color grade, but mostly due to the jump to 1ct each. The size difference is not that significant, so I just need to weigh things a bit to decide if it is worth it to go slightly up in color.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts on all of this... I tend to overanalyze such things, and the "analysis paralysis" only doubles when you throw matching pairs into the mix! :lol:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think you will know until you have a pair in your ears to evaluate. The size difference between the pairs you have chosen is not huge but still noticeable. Just take a leap and pick one to try. You can do it @carbonfan !! :mrgreen2:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I was looking back at this thread after seeing your crazy beautiful new ring, and I wanted to say that at one time I had .65 each (1.4 ctw), .80 each., 1.15 each, and I have 1.28 each now. My recommendation is to go with the biggest that will fit well on your earlobes and not be like me and waste some awful amount on new settings when I upgraded diamonds!!! I could still go larger because I have room, but I have the largest diamond studs in my circle now as it is and I don't care to overdo. I'd just say to try out 1 ct each fakes and see if you can get used to them. I did it gradually, but as I said, it wasn't necessarily the best way.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I would definitely keep ear lobe size and piercing location in mind ... I have .45 studs (.9 ctw with very good spread) with small ear lobes and piercing location is low ... higher carat weight would not only look silly on me, but the weight droop would also be too much. I was worried they would be too small but find the size perfect. Also mine are GIA G color and I prefer more white.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
7D93E4F7-7016-4201-969B-AB0A1F629974.jpeg Perfect for droop weight!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, I was looking back at this thread after seeing your crazy beautiful new ring, and I wanted to say that at one time I had .65 each (1.4 ctw), .80 each., 1.15 each, and I have 1.28 each now. My recommendation is to go with the biggest that will fit well on your earlobes and not be like me and waste some awful amount on new settings when I upgraded diamonds!!! I could still go larger because I have room, but I have the largest diamond studs in my circle now as it is and I don't care to overdo. I'd just say to try out 1 ct each fakes and see if you can get used to them. I did it gradually, but as I said, it wasn't necessarily the best way.
This is such wonderful advice, @diamondseeker2006; thank you! I appreciate your insights, and your current studs are perfection in every way!! :love: I went to a local B&M store recently and tried on 2ctw and 2.5ctw studs just out of curiosity, and I actually thought that 1ct (or slightly under) in each ear was the sweet spot for my earlobes. I love the idea of 1.25ct in each ear, but I think my lobes are too small... when I bumped up to that size the studs seemed to be gobbling up my lobes! (Now if only I could have that situation with my finger size, but no such luck, LOL!) But as you say, we find ourselves acclimating to different sizes over time, so your advice about trying some 2ctw CZs is a great idea! After all of my other excitement I might take a little breather and let the final decision about studs be a project for the new year! Something to look forward to in early 2019!! :loopy:

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would definitely keep ear lobe size and piercing location in mind ... I have .45 studs (.9 ctw with very good spread) with small ear lobes and piercing location is low ... higher carat weight would not only look silly on me, but the weight droop would also be too much. I was worried they would be too small but find the size perfect. Also mine are GIA G color and I prefer more white.
This is a great point as well; thank you @kmoro! I have small ear lobes as well and I think anything too far over a carat in each ear would look cartoonish on me. My piercings are not low, but my lobes do not have a lot of real estate! So thank you for this reminder; it is much appreciated!!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
7D93E4F7-7016-4201-969B-AB0A1F629974.jpeg Perfect for droop weight!
Thank you @AprilBaby! Jumbo backs seem to be getting rave reviews left and right, and I can see how helpful they would be! I will have to try them out!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have small earlobes with not a lot of real estate and 1.4 tcw looks very nice. Sometimes I wish I went 1.5 but I would draw the line at 1.6 I think. Thst’s me though. I tend to prefer “realistic size” diamonds.

I happened to find a pair through Blue Nile “find a pair” that are F SI1 and are both ideal cut and beautiful, but it took months of searching before I found them— and then immediately pulled the trigger. Luckily, they were less than $20 more than the double amount I needed to spend to trade in my .88 E vs2.

These days, I would use a super ideal company and let them match for me.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I'm almost OCD when it comes to getting things perfect, but my pair of studs ended up quite different in stats, but pretty much no one can tell they aren't a matching pair. I also have earlobes on the smaller side, and larger studs look too much. The below link shows my earshot and the detail of my studs.

Since you like 1 ct in each ear, go with the 2.1ctw for the G color.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...33-5-crown-vs1-why.240310/page-4#post-4342742

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have small earlobes with not a lot of real estate and 1.4 tcw looks very nice. Sometimes I wish I went 1.5 but I would draw the line at 1.6 I think. Thst’s me though. I tend to prefer “realistic size” diamonds.

I happened to find a pair through Blue Nile “find a pair” that are F SI1 and are both ideal cut and beautiful, but it took months of searching before I found them— and then immediately pulled the trigger. Luckily, they were less than $20 more than the double amount I needed to spend to trade in my .88 E vs2.

These days, I would use a super ideal company and let them match for me.
I totally feel you on this, @whitewave! I will probably max out around 1ct each... I think anything bigger is too much on my ears (even the SA at the B&M store agreed with me!), but if someone wants to rock 3ctw studs and can pull it off, more power to them! I want to take my time and find just the right ones, though. Good for you for finding your perfect pair (and Fs at that!)!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm almost OCD when it comes to getting things perfect, but my pair of studs ended up quite different in stats, but pretty much no one can tell they aren't a matching pair. I also have earlobes on the smaller side, and larger studs look too much. The below link shows my earshot and the detail of my studs.

Since you like 1 ct in each ear, go with the 2.1ctw for the G color.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...33-5-crown-vs1-why.240310/page-4#post-4342742
This is a very helpful thread, @blueMA; thanks for sharing! I actually kind of enjoy trying to find a pair that are really close in specs (I enjoy the challenge of it on some masochistic level, LOL!) but you are right that no one else would ever pick up on these minor differences. I am still figuring out my max size... ordered a pair of 6mm and 7mm CZs so I can try them out before taking the plunge. I will admit that the 2ctw set of Gs is pretty tempting, though!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Quick update! I have decided to stay in the 2-2.4 ctw range for studs, and have identified two potential sets of contenders that are both amazing. The sets are identical in color/clarity and just slightly different in size (6.5 vs. 6.8 mm). I realize that I am splitting hairs at this point and cannot really make a wrong choice, but just for fun, here are the stats... which one would you choose and why? TIA!

Set 1:
Table: 56.1/56.2
CA: 34.4/34.5
PA: 40.7/40.7
LGF: 76/77

Set 2:
Table: 56.7/56.7
PA: 40.8/40.7
LGF: 76/76

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Carbonfan, do you want to make it easy finding the right pair?
Call Lesley at BGD. Did this for my daughters studs, very happy I did.
Best of luck.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Quick update! I have decided to stay in the 2-2.4 ctw range for studs, and have identified two potential sets of contenders that are both amazing. The sets are identical in color/clarity and just slightly different in size (6.5 vs. 6.8 mm). I realize that I am splitting hairs at this point and cannot really make a wrong choice, but just for fun, here are the stats... which one would you choose and why? TIA!

Set 1:
Table: 56.1/56.2
PA: 40.7/40.7
LGF: 76/77

Set 2:
Table: 56.7/56.7
PA: 40.8/40.7
LGF: 76/76

With numbers like those, either would be fine. You’re talking about viewing from the front as opposed to viewing from above, so obstruction should not be a problem at all.

Otherwise, what @WillyDiamond said!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your thoughts! I am torn because the larger pair has a slightly smaller table, which I typically prefer, but the smaller pair has a slightly larger table, which I seem to remember is preferable in studs. I am 100% sure I would love either pair, but just don't want to second guess myself later. So please feel free to keep chiming in with your thoughts!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hope this finds everyone well! I have been taking a little breather from bling decisions over the last week (and may well continue this until the new year proper!)... still thinking about table sizes and other minutiae as I tend to overanalyze such things! In the meantime, though, I wanted to post the settings I am considering to see if anyone has any advice or insights about them. I love CvB's 8-prong Abby setting and this is the one I am currently leaning toward. (I would request La Pousette backs rather than screw backs.) What do you all think?

abby 2.jpg abby 1.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What’s not to like? Gorgeous settings for a superb pair of sparklies :cool2:

Edit - Make those “bases” (the flat disc the post attaches to) as wide as you’re willing to aesthetically - larger “base” = less droop ::)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope this finds everyone well! I have been taking a little breather from bling decisions over the last week (and may well continue this until the new year proper!)... still thinking about table sizes and other minutiae as I tend to overanalyze such things! In the meantime, though, I wanted to post the settings I am considering to see if anyone has any advice or insights about them. I love CvB's 8-prong Abby setting and this is the one I am currently leaning toward. (I would request La Pousette backs rather than screw backs.) What do you all think?

abby 2.jpg abby 1.jpg
They are gorgeous. I would request friction back with jumbo backs, but other than that I would be fine with them. I think if you choose stones just above 1 carat each, those would be perfect. I think you were leaning that way right?

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What’s not to like? Gorgeous settings for a superb pair of sparklies :cool2:

Edit - Make those “bases” (the flat disc the post attaches to) as wide as you’re willing to aesthetically - larger “base” = less droop ::)

They are gorgeous. I would request friction back with jumbo backs, but other than that I would be fine with them. I think if you choose stones just above 1 carat each, those would be perfect. I think you were leaning that way right?

Thank you so much @yssie and @LLJsmom for such phenomenal advice on all counts! These are all great points. I will definitely request wider bases, and the friction back with jumbo backs sounds like a fantastic option as well. And yes, the stones I am leaning toward will either be just over 1ct each or they will be 1.2ct each. That said, do you think that eight prongs is overkill? I could perhaps ask Caysie to create a six-prong version of the Abby... so many decisions! :wall:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If well made, i don't think 8 is too much. I think Caysie will make beautiful 8 prong settings. I wouldn't worry at all.

mn_shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much @yssie and @LLJsmom for such phenomenal advice on all counts! These are all great points. I will definitely request wider bases, and the friction back with jumbo backs sounds like a fantastic option as well. And yes, the stones I am leaning toward will either be just over 1ct each or they will be 1.2ct each. That said, do you think that eight prongs is overkill? I could perhaps ask Caysie to create a six-prong version of the Abby... so many decisions! :wall:

Selfishly, I would love to see a 6-prong version of Abby as I'm considering those for my new studs if I ever re-set them into something fancier than a stock 4-prong (I was too impatient to wait and figure out permanent settings this year), but have you asked Caysie how many prongs she thinks would be best with stones of the size you're considering? Based on what I've seen here on PS of her work, I don't think she would do a setting that had prongs out of proportion for the center stones especially if you ask upfront. That pair of Abby earrings listed on Etsy is 2ctw, so I think 8-prongs would be fine for your stones unless you prefer the look of 6.

Also, in RE: the 2 pairs you are currently considering - I'd personally go with the larger pair if you are comfortable with that size in your ears. I'm on my 4th pair of studs in 15 years (thanks PS...) and can say for absolute certain that DSS is real. Plus, if those diamonds are from the superideal vendor I think they are (not trying to be stalkerish here, but I think one of the first pairs you posted had come up in my search for 1.6ctw studs), their performance will be phenomenal regardless of the difference in table size between the 2 pairs.

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
@carbonfan
The earrings you posted are actually mine. :appl: I purchased them from a fellow PSer (who was upgrading) earlier this year.

The 8 prongs are so delicate that they do not in any way distract from the stones. I love them.

I will say that the original posts were 18k screw backs. After a few months of wear, the posts irritated my ears. I don't know if it was the threads or the gold (even though nickel free). Extensive cleaning did not help. In any case, I had a local jeweler replace the posts with platinum and add a small platinum plate between my ear and the Earrings. New posts are friction and I have the large size backs. No droop and no further irritation issues.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Selfishly, I would love to see a 6-prong version of Abby as I'm considering those for my new studs if I ever re-set them into something fancier than a stock 4-prong (I was too impatient to wait and figure out permanent settings this year), but have you asked Caysie how many prongs she thinks would be best with stones of the size you're considering? Based on what I've seen here on PS of her work, I don't think she would do a setting that had prongs out of proportion for the center stones especially if you ask upfront. That pair of Abby earrings listed on Etsy is 2ctw, so I think 8-prongs would be fine for your stones unless you prefer the look of 6.

Also, in RE: the 2 pairs you are currently considering - I'd personally go with the larger pair if you are comfortable with that size in your ears. I'm on my 4th pair of studs in 15 years (thanks PS...) and can say for absolute certain that DSS is real. Plus, if those diamonds are from the superideal vendor I think they are (not trying to be stalkerish here, but I think one of the first pairs you posted had come up in my search for 1.6ctw studs), their performance will be phenomenal regardless of the difference in table size between the 2 pairs.
Thank you @mn_shopaholic; this is all great advice! I conversed briefly with Caysie a few weeks ago but wanted to save any detailed inquiries until after the holiday blitz. Plus it will help if I finalize the stone selection first; LOL! So once I figure out which stones to go for I can defer to her about the number of prongs. I feel confident that she can make either a 6- or 8-prong Abby setting look amazing!

Thank you also for your advice on the size; I truly appreciate that! I have worn my 1ctw studs for 15 years now and I plan to keep them for travel and/or low-key occasions, but I really want this next pair to last me for a good long while! So yes, it would probably be best to bump up the size a slight bit rather than running the risk of suffering DSS later on down the road! I have every confidence that either set of diamonds will be stunning, but I just want to get the size right. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@carbonfan
The earrings you posted are actually mine. :appl: I purchased them from a fellow PSer (who was upgrading) earlier this year.

The 8 prongs are so delicate that they do not in any way distract from the stones. I love them.

I will say that the original posts were 18k screw backs. After a few months of wear, the posts irritated my ears. I don't know if it was the threads or the gold (even though nickel free). Extensive cleaning did not help. In any case, I had a local jeweler replace the posts with platinum and add a small platinum plate between my ear and the Earrings. New posts are friction and I have the large size backs. No droop and no further irritation issues.
I am so happy you chimed in, @Miss Marple! And what gorgeous earrings you have! :love: I am glad to hear that the 8-prong version is so aesthetically pleasing and that you love it so much! Sorry you went through so much with the posts, but I am so glad you found a good solution so you can enjoy these beauties! Thanks again for sharing your insights!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results