shape
carat
color
clarity

Delicate ring problems! Reset? Advice?

honz

Rough_Rock
My engagement ring is super delicate, I wanted a thin band but the jewelers obviously made it so thin that it is not an every day ring.

I totally baby my ring and I was happy to do that if it meant I could achieve the delicate look, I don’t lift heavy things, don’t work out with it, don’t wear it at home etc. The other day someone banged into me during a night out and bent the whole head, I got it repaired the next day and the people in that workshop advised me that they think it is too thin.

I was in the process of designing a wedding band like this one, bespoke made to fit around my engagement ring with a gorgeous pear stone on the point of the crown shape. I put that on hold now while I figure out what to do with my engagement ring.

Do I reset my stone into a solitaire for a more durable engagement ring? We can afford this but it is an annoying cost so close to the wedding as I splashed out on the wedding band but now I would have to remake the engagement ring too.

Do I leave it alone but risk something happening to my engagement ring plus then have a lovely wedding band that looks stupid alone? And would have a gap if I had to reset my stone 5 years down the line?

Do I keep my current ring and solder it to the bespoke wedding band? Would that help?

Any advice IMG_4533.JPG IMG_2488.JPG Hazeline-suite-no_1800x.jpg

Jelly88

Rough_Rock
How thin is your band? I also have a super delicate setting, but I don’t baby my ring and haven’t had issues. I wonder if it’s the craftsmanship?

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm no expert but to me it looks like where the peg head meets your band looks thinner than the rest of your band. I'm with Jelly in wondering if it's a little bit of a craftsmanship as well.

I don't think that soldering your wedding band to the engagement ring is the answer...it actually looks like you might have to reinforce where the head meets the shank.

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
What type of gold is it? 14k? 18k?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your setting does not seem to have been made well. I would consider a full reset. Make a strong dependable setting and no need to solder wedding band to it.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That happened from someone knocking into you? Wow. I’m actually gonna say soldering it to wedding band might be a good idea. What’s your jeweler recommend?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a shame it only took someone bumping into you to bend the head that much! :eek2:

I’m with others who suggest resetting the diamond into something more durable. And I’d take up the issue of craftsmanship with whomever made it. If it hasn’t been very long that you’ve had it, perhaps there is a return/refund opportunity.

If you’re sentimental about the existing ER band, maybe see if your jeweler can replace the spot where the head is currently attached with another small diamond (like what’s in the rest of the ring shank) so you can continue wearing it as a ‘half eternity’ stacker perhaps.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Your setting does not seem to have been made well. I would consider a full reset. Make a strong dependable setting and no need to solder wedding band to it.

+1

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results