shape
carat
color
clarity

Decent deal for emerald diamond?

higanbanya

Shiny_Rock
Was shopping around for an emerald cut diamond and came across this James Allen loose diamond, it seems really affordable at 1980 USD relative to the other diamonds of similar size.

We have purchased it as the only issue seems to be the strong blue fluorescence which made it more affordable.

However as we are new to looking at diamonds, is there anything that we should be worried about, or is this just a decent purchase by chance?

We are awaiting the ASET report and a full gemological inspection from James Allen before deciding if we should continue with the purchase. Our budget is on the low side of < 2100 USD for an emerald cut diamond, preferably closer to the 0.8 carats range.

Specs (https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.80-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-6727320)
Shape: Emerald
Carat Weight: 0.80
Color: F
Clarity: VS1
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Good
L/W/D (MM): 6.11 * 4.56 * 3.07
L/W Ratio: 1.34

Depth %: 67.30
Girdle: Thin - Very Thick
Table %: 67
Cutlet: None
Certificate: GIA
Crown Angle: 44.56
Crown %: 12.20
Pavilion Angle: 56.64
Pavilion %: 51.24

Last edited:
Reactions: AV_

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a nice looking Stone. The asset will tell us more. I think you did pretty good for picking one on your own. Post the aset when you
get it.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a lot of discussions around fluorescence - the short version is that Strong and Very Strong Blue stones are the only ones at risk of negative effects, and the percentage of those that suffer with any issues is low.

You should therefore be fine, but as you say, inspection by JA will help confirm that is the case, and you also have the opportunity to inspect it yourself at home thanks to the great Returns policy :)

Pick up a cheap UV/blacklight for a few dollars from ebay or Amazon, so you can really activate the fluor, but don't stare into it as I don't trust them not to be blinding you in the long-term... :lol: lol

WRT the stone, I think it looks potentially very nice - the contrast/obstruction patterning is nicely spaced out and attractive to my eyes, and it performs well at all angles. Nice find!

higanbanya

Shiny_Rock
I see. Thank you all for the second opinion and informative replies! It's very reassuring to hear that I didn't make too impulsive of a purchase. Will definitely update this post once I get the ASET report!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent stuff, we will look forward to updates! :)

higanbanya

Shiny_Rock
I’ve found another diamond which seems like a better deal at 1890 USD than the one before here: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.92-carat-d-color-si2-clarity-sku-4583861

Specs:
Shape: Emerald
Color: D
Carat: 0.92
Clarity: SI2
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Depth %: 65.2
Table %: 69
Fluorescence: None
Girdle: Medium - Thick
Culet: None
Certificate: GIA
L/W/D (MM): 6.71 * 4.72 * 3.08
L/W Ratio: 1.42

Do you guys think this is okay or if there is anything I should be concerned about? It looks pretty eye-clean to me despite it being SI2.

I’m requesting for an ASET report to be sent as well so that I can compare between the two diamonds, and will update the thread once I’ve received them!

higanbanya

Shiny_Rock
So in summary,
#1: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.80-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-6727320
#2: https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/0.92-carat-d-color-si2-clarity-sku-4583861

Okay I’ve check with the SA about #2 (GIA: 2287032845), the feathers on the bottom left corner of the diamond is not close to the surface and would not cause durability issues.

If it helps in the decision making between the two diamonds, I intend to set the diamond in a 4-prong solitaire setting in a thin band of maybe 1.5-2mm band.

Will still be updating this thread once I get the ASET reports!

Last edited:

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The new diamond you posted has a larger table than its depth. While it will look large it will also tend to look glassy like a skating rink. A smaller table than depth is considered more desireable on this forum. A smaller table with a higher crown means the diamond will flash more often in the same amount of time than the one with the larger table. It is really a matter of personal taste as to which style you prefer.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So in summary,
#1: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.80-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-6727320
#2: https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/0.92-carat-d-color-si2-clarity-sku-4583861

Okay I’ve check with the SA about #2 (GIA: 2287032845), the feathers on the bottom left corner of the diamond is not close to the surface and would not cause durability issues.

If it helps in the decision making between the two diamonds, I intend to set the diamond in a 4-prong solitaire setting in a thin band of maybe 1.5-2mm band.

Will still be updating this thread once I get the ASET reports!
I will be interested to see the ASETs - I personally much prefer the contrast pattern of #1, as #2 seems to lack definite facet patterning when head-on, but the ASETs will reveal more info!

higanbanya

Shiny_Rock
The new diamond you posted has a larger table than its depth. While it will look large it will also tend to look glassy like a skating rink. A smaller table than depth is considered more desireable on this forum. A smaller table with a higher crown means the diamond will flash more often in the same amount of time than the one with the larger table. It is really a matter of personal taste as to which style you prefer.

Interesting! Didn't know about the smaller table than depth part. It looks to be very true in these two diamonds though, as #1 definitely has stronger patterns than #2.

However, I'm in a bit of a dilemma as I've only placed #2 on hold and can only hold up to 48 hours which would mean that I'd have to make the choice by this Thursday morning. According to the SA, #1 has not arrived at their warehouse yet which means getting the ASET for #1 is likely to be long after #2 have to be released on hold.

Thank you all for the opinions! Hopefully I can get the ASET for #2 by tomorrow to help make a decision.

higanbanya

Shiny_Rock
Update:

I've manage to get the ASET report for #2, but I'm not too sure how to interpret this!

4583861.jpg

From reading up online it seems like having more reds would mean higher light return (which I'm not sure if it translates to have more fiery-ness or brilliance?) so would this be a good ASET for #2?

I'd like a diamond that does not look very dark or have too many facets "off" at the same time as I'd like to have a brighter diamond when not really looking up close at the ring, but still be able to enjoy the "hall of mirrors" effect when tilting the ring side to side (if that makes sense). Do you guys think that #2 would fit the bill?

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is good to see so much red and green. From what I have read, the shallower emerald cuts tend to show more red in their ASETs, but I could be wrong. It looks good except for that black area in the center. That is a dead area and will not light up. If you rotate the diamond in the video you will see that it does not appear to light up while the rest of the facets flash off and on. It has to do with pavillion angles and if you type " p3 angles " into the search engine an article by Karl_K will pop up which explains the importance of correctly cut pavilion angles in step cut diamonds.
@Matthews1127, @@OoohShiny, @Karl_K please comment on the above ASET. TIA for your assistance.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The aset for the d-si2 .90?
The center is blue with a fine black line that is the culet which is ok in this case.
Overall all the ASET is good.
But:
The Flat top combined with a large table is an issue.
The feather and a cavity in the most vulnerable areas of an EC might be an issue.

higanbanya

Shiny_Rock
Awww thank you @princessandthepear so much for pinging the others about this! Really very pleasantly surprised by the helpfulness of this community as I've only started looking into diamonds the past few days.

The aset for the d-si2 .90?
The center is blue with a fine black line that is the culet which is ok in this case.
Overall all the ASET is good.
But:
The Flat top combined with a large table is an issue.
The feather and a cavity in the most vulnerable areas of an EC might be an issue.

Yeap this is the ASET for the D SI2! Why would the flap top combined with a large table be an issue though? Is it because it might look less lively and more glassy? For the feather and cavity parts I've requested for a JA gemologist to help look at it, hopefully the durability risk isn't too high and can be covered/secured by a prong.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.70-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-6718516
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.70-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-6718454
These are examples of the rate of flash in emerald cuts with higher crowns. I am not suggesting either of these. Just giving you something to compare with.

Wow these really have quick flashes of light! Reminds me of #1 which I'm still considering to continue with the purchase but later realised that I'd prefer the ratio of #2 (1.4) as compared to #1 (1.3). I'm kind of leaning towards purchasing #2 instead now as the ASET sounds pretty good and it looks decently brilliant-ish and looks like a value buy!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you come to a decision?
These two diamonds are quite different from each other, and it seems most are leaning toward #1.
Have you heard more about #2, and the inclusions/integrity of the stone?
I prefer to reserve my comment, until you know more about #2.

higanbanya

Shiny_Rock
Have you come to a decision?
These two diamonds are quite different from each other, and it seems most are leaning toward #1.
Have you heard more about #2, and the inclusions/integrity of the stone?
I prefer to reserve my comment, until you know more about #2.

I still have not come to a decision as they both have great points and I'd love to get them both if I could :cry2:. I'm still waiting for the ASET report and gemologist checks for #1 (0.8 VS1 F), and awaiting gemologist checks for #2 (0.92 SI2 D) which I've just requested for (which extends the holding period of the stone for a few more days, yay!).

If the gemologist checks for #2 for durability/inclusion issues turns out to be positive/reassuring, I think I am more inclined to purchase #2 as the L/W ratio and overall brightness (from the ASET report too!) appeals more to me and the size is bigger as well.

However, if the checks report that there are rather concerning chances of the stone chipping or having durability risks, I'll probably stick to #1 as the liveliness/contrast/brilliance definitely feels better than #2!

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My entirely personal thoughts/opinion on that ASET is that I wonder if there is too much red??

Would all that red (i.e. facets being 'on') at the same time mean that those same facets are also 'off' at the same time from other angles, potentially making some viewing angles somewhat 'dead'?

The video does look promising, though, but they can't capture all angles!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My entirely personal thoughts/opinion on that ASET is that I wonder if there is too much red??
nope
Someone has boosted the red in the image but a close look shows it is not a red blob but smaller separate virtual facets.
Red is a large range of angles and given the different pavilion angles of an EC you can bet they are drawing from different areas of the red zone.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nope
Someone has boosted the red in the image but a close look shows it is not a red blob but smaller separate virtual facets.
Red is a large range of angles and given the different pavilion angles of an EC you can bet they are drawing from different areas of the red zone.
Thanks, Karl!

I did spot there were slightly different shades of red, so noted for future reference! :)

higanbanya

Shiny_Rock
So I've been looking around for alternatives to #2 since I'm starting to have second doubts about the durability risks about it, and found another pretty diamond #3 here! https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.02-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-sku-4892646

#1 (0.8 F VS1) https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.80-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-6727320
#2 (0.92 D SI2) https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.92-carat-d-color-si2-clarity-sku-4583861
#3 (1.02 J VS2) https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.02-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-sku-4892646

Do you guys think #3 is a decent choice, and which would you pick between 1-3?

For #3 I won't be able to get an ASET as they do not have one available for me to see unless I've paid for it, so it'll be great if I can get a feel of whether #3 is a good choice before making payment for it to view the report! (and decide between #1, #2 or #3).

higanbanya

Shiny_Rock
Update:

Okay in the end I've decided that I'll just go ahead with #3 as I'm the most attracted to it and have decided to go ahead of the purchase of #3. Will be updating the thread once I've received the diamond/ring!

Thank you all for your insightful comments and helping to look into this for me! I've learnt a lot about diamonds thanks to you guys! :love:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update:

Okay in the end I've decided that I'll just go ahead with #3 as I'm the most attracted to it and have decided to go ahead of the purchase of #3. Will be updating the thread once I've received the diamond/ring!

Thank you all for your insightful comments and helping to look into this for me! I've learnt a lot about diamonds thanks to you guys! :love:
Cool - ultimately we must go with what appeals to us!

Will look forward to pics ;-) and your thoughts :))

higanbanya

Shiny_Rock
Update: I’ve just received the loose diamond! So happy with it

Now for the setting part! After looking through the SMTB halos thread I’m so inspired to set it in a halo, similar to the Tiffany Soleste Emerald Cut style!

As this is a J-colored diamond, should the melee diamonds be in a lower color like J-K onwards, or does the melee color not make much of a difference?

2B2F954A-63E0-4094-95FE-51B080F6B4C9.jpeg 867ADF87-01F6-4278-92D0-FC93F3DD737A.jpeg

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your purchase of your emerald cut diamond!:appl: The emerald cut obviously suits the shape of your hand. Will you have David Klass design your setting or go with a local jeweler?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your diamond is beautiful! I would try to match the melee within one color grade if you want them to blend together. If you want a contrast then you would go with lighter melee. It’s always a preference. I have an H color cushion with G color melee and it blends seemlessly... Please come back after you set your ring! We love pics!

higanbanya

Shiny_Rock
Ooohh thanks for the suggestion! Love your ring on your dp, it looks amazing! I’ll definitely post more pics after setting it!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooohh thanks for the suggestion! Love your ring on your dp, it looks amazing! I’ll definitely post more pics after setting it!
Thank you! Looking forward to seeing it on your hand!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results