shape
carat
color
clarity

Comparing Two 3Ct Rocks

kathness

Shiny_Rock
I'm not really a diamond expert but i believe both diamonds are great. Black by Brian Gavin is suppose to be one of the best in market for round diamonds and so is white flash ACA. If budget isn't a problem i would go for the bigger one :D

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a difference? Cut? Could it be where the VS1 flaws are? It is only a 20 point difference so would that really it look bigger?

cottoncandy

Rough_Rock
They’re both gorgeous and top of the line.

To decide between the two, you want to think about the service you’ve received so far from BGD and WF, difference in upgrade policies (BGD has more requirements and WF’s is more liberal), and if you’re interested in a particular setting from one or the other.

As a final tie breaker you could order both to compare them in person. :geek2:

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

Does anyone have any thoughts on these two rocks?

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../3.068-f-vs1-round-diamond-bkags-104093020001

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3755577.htm

I'm leaning towards ACA just for the peace of mind of knowing you have a great cut that will hopefully be shiny

Thank you for the help!

Both are top notch stones. Based on the images provided I like the BGD Black. Both have perfect ASETs, but I prefer the Hearts on the BGD stone. I believe the Hearts on the ACA were taken with the diamond slightly tilted so that may be the difference. Clefts are more noticeable on the ACA and the hearts and points are not as symmetrical at 1:00. As previously mentioned, the diamond may have been tilted so I would have them retake the hearts image.

Will any of this make a difference to the naked eye? Nope, strictly mind clean. When I'm buying a super-ideal I want to make sure it is exceptionally cut even when compared to other super ideals.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I’m with crbl999.
(Except I think the BGD H&A show some less noticeable virtually non-existent clefts too) but better symmetry at 1:00.
Also a $10000 difference for 0.2 increase in weight ... I would go with BGD ...

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I would go BGD for multiple reasons:
  • I prefer the crown/pavilion combo
  • It's a $10,000 difference
  • The ACA has feathers located at the same place on pavilion and crown, I'm a little paranoid because it's a VS1 but I prefer not to see this feature.

rz6600

Rough_Rock
Helpful, thank you! They do look pretty similar to me so agree that it probably makes sense to get the cheaper one if the difference in sizing is negligible

rz6600

Rough_Rock
The difference in cost is actually only $4K based on the wire prices. Would that change anyone's thought process or do people here generally prefer the BGD? Do appreciate the feedback as this is obviously a really big purchase :)

amoline

Shiny_Rock
I'd go with the WF because I think the size difference would be noticeable and they have a little bit more liberal upgrade policy. Plus, it's bigger.

But honestly, how could you go wrong with either?

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with @amoline . But, seriously, both are insanely beautiful and you can’t go wrong. So go with your gut!

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with the BGD. There is a .17mm difference in face up size, but this may not be discernable even if both stones were side by side. Not here to debate this small detail. IMO, not enough difference in face up size for me to justify the extra $4k. Both are great stones and you can't go wrong with either.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also go with the WF stone. If upgrading would ever be a consideration, at BG you have to upgrade 2 of the following 3 categories - size, color or clarity... so since you're already at F VS1, the possibilities will be limited and a lot more expensive down the road, not to mention BG's inventory isn't nearly as robust as WF's and there have been several people who have had difficulty upgrading with BG for this reason.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
The BGD is cut more tight H&A, but if budget is not a problem and you like bigger size, the Whiteflash is also good, probably with a similar performance IRL.

rz6600

Rough_Rock
Makes sense, thank you! Would you guys bother getting a GIA report done on top of it? I've seen a number of posts remarking differences in color grading between GIA and AGS but maybe it's just anecdotal

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
No, I wouldn’t bother

Makes sense, thank you! Would you guys bother getting a GIA report done on top of it? I've seen a number of posts remarking differences in color grading between GIA and AGS but maybe it's just anecdotal

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Would you guys bother getting a GIA report done on top of it? I've seen a number of posts remarking differences in color grading between GIA and AGS but maybe it's just anecdotal
If you can't decide, I think it's a great idea, especially for this high DEF range.
There is a lot of money involved.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with WF for the reasons above relative to trade-in/upgrade.

Anytime someone is looking over 2 carats, I always ask....are you sure your intended wants and will wear a diamond this size? Is it similar to her social circle? Will it work with her lifestyle? If she is active or works with animals or kids, she may prefer something smaller and or bezel set.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1A2FDFC0-6C3C-4E59-B068-AC2E386A51C9.jpeg
BG on the left WF on the right

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the ACA. I can see the size difference and I like Whiteflash's upgrade policy. Both nice stones though.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the WF stone - it's beautiful and larger. I totally agree with their trade in policy being better than BGD which unfortunately, makes it a unfair comparison. However, I would want as much flexibility in that arena as possible.

Scout2018

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I am new here. I am wondering if you all can give me your opinion. I have the opportunity to upgrade my 1.61 SI1 I color round engagement ring (currently set in the Tiffany Embrace Halo) to a larger stone.

We can not afford the perfect stones - but the stone was beautiful when we looked at it in store with various lighting changes, outside in sunny weather and cloudy weather. We are not so concerned with what it looks like under a microscope, rather, just a nice diamond to replace my current one and create a nice heirloom for our daughter when she is older.

The potential "new diamond" is:

2.8 Carats
9.00-9.06x5.57mm
Color:I
Clarity: SI2
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Sym: Excellent
Depth: 61.7%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 35.5
Crown Height: 15.5%
Girdle: Medium
Cutlet: None
Clarity Characteristic: Twinning Wisp, Feather
Fluorescence: None

Is this a nice diamond to wear in a halo setting and also a nice diamond to pass down to my daughter? Again, I don't need a mercedes of diamonds. I need a toyota - one that works hard, looks nice, and you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Of course with increasing from 1.6 carats form 2.8 you can see I appreciate the larger size vs. a perfectly clear diamond. I compared to a nicer diamond 2.5 carat in store and could not tell the difference?

Just looking for some words of advice - thought etc... My situation would be a trade in and cost is very fair.

Thanks!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Scout
You will want to start a new separate posting
Oh and we will need pictures in your new thread!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks like you went with the WF stone! Please come back and share updates and photos when you have a chance... I am excited for you and can't wait to hear your impressions! :dance:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
how do you know this? :confused:

Probably because when you click on the link to the WF stone, it says it was sold. Assuming it is the original poster in this thread or maybe someone else bought it?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Probably because when you click on the link to the WF stone, it says it was sold. Assuming it is the original poster in this thread or maybe someone else bought it?
lol I'd think that's way too much of an assumption given how many lurkers are on PS. I used to be one for a while.
images

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
how do you know this? :confused:
Admittedly it is pure speculation on my part as the BGD stone still shows as available and the WF stone has been designated as sold. But you are absolutely right that someone else could have snatched it up! However, diamonds in this price range typically do not move very fast so it seems like a fairly safe best, and in any case it would be fun to hear an update from @rz6600!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results