shape
carat
color
clarity

Chipped Stone Needs a Recut

lage

Rough_Rock
Sadly, my center stone (mrb flanked by pears in SK setting) has a chip in the girdle that extends into the pavilion. I’m reframing this event as an opportunity to improve the stone’s cut (something I considered pre-chip). Ideally, the recut stone will still fit into the existing setting and not be over powered by the side stones. If not, then I’ll need to figure out a plan B, or C. My local jeweler offered to send the stone to Stuller who he uses for recuts, but I thought I’d inquire here for stone cutting recommendations before moving forward. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it a MRB or an OEC/OMC? If the latter, Yoram at Gemconcepts might be the best option.

If the former, Brian Gavin or Whiteflash would be your best choice, I reckon. CBI does not recut existing stones IIRC.

How much weight/diameter it needs to lose in a recut will need to be estimated by the cutter.

lage

Rough_Rock
Thank you, OoohShiny. The stone is a MRB.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI Whiteflash doesn’t do recutting anymore but they recommend Southwest Diamond Cutters in dallas. I’ve used them and can attest to how amazing they are.

Good luck with your recut!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP Brian Gavin would evaluate your MRB and give you an estimate to see if he can recut to even a branded quality recut. I would start there since he’s the only superideal cutter who seems to do this. There have been one or two posts on this process recently, do a search, that came out really well.

OooohShiney, Does Yoram recut OECs? I didn’t realize Yoram is available for recuts of antique stones. Sorry for threadjack.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have done three MRB recuts with BGD and all of them came back as ideal cuts. One of them had a large chip similar to yours and the end results were just stunning. I would contact them and ask for the current pricing and if you are comfortable with it-ship to them your diamond for evaluation. They would not be able to give you any recut estimates before seeing the diamond.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP Brian Gavin would evaluate your MRB and give you an estimate to see if he can recut to even a branded quality recut. I would start there since he’s the only superideal cutter who seems to do this. There have been one or two posts on this process recently, do a search, that came out really well.

OooohShiney, Does Yoram recut OECs? I didn’t realize Yoram is available for recuts of antique stones. Sorry for threadjack.
I have to say that I don't know for sure if Yoram does recuts, and he often posts on Instagram about keeping old stones 'original' and with the character they've acquired during their years being worn :) but he does awesome old-style cuts so would be my first point of call to check either way! If a chip is potentially going to cause structural damage if left, I imagine that he or any other cutter would prefer to save the stone from any future risk :)

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another person who used BGD for recut here!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear your stone has a chip. But what an exciting opportunity to be able to step up to a super ideal cut!

There was a thread a few months back about someone that had done a recut with BGD and was very happy with the results, but there were some issues when it came down to the certification process. It seemed it was going to cost a premium they felt uncomfortable spending to have the stone certified and inscribed as a BGD Signature (IIRC?) stone that would be eligible for their upgrade program.

The details are foggy at the moment but if getting a great re-cut AND getting the stone re-labeled as a BGD Signature/Black/Blue series stone and being eligible for their upgrade program is important to you, then make sure to ask about the details involved to make each scenario happen.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say that I don't know for sure if Yoram does recuts, and he often posts on Instagram about keeping old stones 'original' and with the character they've acquired during their years being worn :) but he does awesome old-style cuts so would be my first point of call to check either way! If a chip is potentially going to cause structural damage if left, I imagine that he or any other cutter would prefer to save the stone from any future risk :)

I don't even know how we could ship a diamond safely to Israel. It would make more sense to me to contact Jonathan of August Vintage regarding recuts of OECs or antique cushions.

I have also had a diamond recut by BG. Mine was likely not a candidate for superideal, and Brian didn't suggest sending it! But it was a family stone, so it would never be sold and I didn't need the grading certificate. I had a great improvement and certainly recommend them for recuts. It takes awhile, though.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't even know how we could ship a diamond safely to Israel. It would make more sense to me to contact Jonathan of August Vintage regarding recuts of OECs or antique cushions.
Good point on using Rhino :)

I'm sure FedEx or UPS would ship worldwide, I guess insurance coverage would be the deciding factor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results