shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying from individuals / lab analysis in setting

BenGerodin

Rough_Rock
I’m looking at a few options for something for my wife and am considering an item listed by a private seller in a different country. Seems legit from the emails, photos and videos but of course who knows. I also would like to have the main stone (colored) analyzed by a lab (and I assume there also a way to check on the setting metal too...). So two questions:

1. Can you have a colored stone analyzed by a lab when it is already set? (I’ve been poking around on their sites but don’t see a clear answer - probably super obvious and I’m just missing it somehow).

2. How do you provide security when buying from a private seller? They seem to have sold a few things on the private listing site, but again who knows for sure. Or what if the stone turned out to not be as advertised (BE enhancement for example, which I’m not interested in). I have worked quite a bit with escrow companies in my professional life - do you guys do that? Or is there some other typical/accepted approach people use to ensure safety and make sure that the seller gets paid but the buyer can confirm the piece is as advertised?

Thanks in advance!

BenGerodin

Rough_Rock
And just to be more clear, I know that (for example) AGL has a "mounted" price. But I wasn't sure if that means that they will analyze a stone set in the middle of a ring, or it's some other type of "mounting".

Anyway, my bigger question is how to ensure that a buyer has time and ability to analyze a piece, while the seller is comfortable that they will get paid if it is as advertised.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, "mounted" means they will analyze a stone set in a ring. If they invoice you via paypal (be sure it includes purchase details), I believe you can file a dispute if the stone isn't as advertised. The bigger risk is that the piece doesn't appear in real life like the photos you see. This isn't uncommon in colored stones which can shift depending on lighting...even more so if you are new to CS and don't know what to look for.

BenGerodin

Rough_Rock
Yes, that's my exact concern. I've bought a few CS before but mostly just to stick a toe in the water. So I'd like to be able to see the piece in person and be able to return it if the color doesn't work. But I suppose you just have to figure that out with the seller.

I'd love your thoughts on some photos. It's a 2 carat stone, so nothing huge. They apparently got the stone independently and then had it set. Some pics:

These ones from the stone seller pre setting. Are those windows on the side, or maybe just reflections?

sapphire_1.jpg

sapphire_2.jpg

And in the setting:

IMG_4693.jpg

IMG_4784(comp).jpg

I generally like the setting and stone. It looks much darker in the as-set pics but I know that is what happens when you set it, and also, probably a difference between pro photos and non-pro. I also like the color pretty well. What do you guys think?

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
It seems normal that a gem held up against a lightsource looks brighter. If you don't find the color too dark in the setting, it's fine for you. I, personally like to see more blue, better skyblue than navyblue.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results