shape
carat
color
clarity

An unfortunate trade

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
EC2B5C92-8A82-4751-9AAC-91406CF57FB3.jpeg D45FA6DD-9196-4BC2-B025-7BC24D65C218.jpeg A51A85F7-7A9D-4F81-9C74-D9093507A62F.jpeg 3DC255F7-3DFA-4B07-AFDC-61ACFC091708.jpeg

Dear all,

I am currently involved in a “switch” scam of a failed sales process for my beloved yellow diamond ring. Now, I am stuck with a stone that’s not mine and with no paper trail. While I am resolving the issue with my jeweler, I decided to make this a less stressful situation for me by turning it into a study of this stone with you all. Of cause, if you have any wisdom for the very unfortunate me at the moment, I’ll appreciate that from the deep of my heart.

I had a 2.18ct radiant, fancy intense yellow diamond measuring 7.49x6.90x4.51. The current stone, with no paperwork, has been measured by an appraiser with 7.01x6.94x4.28 parameters. That’s all the information I have for my current stone.

Now, I’d love to hear your opinion about the cut of the stone and if you think the color is natural (I.e. non-irradiated and non-HPHT) because it appears to have an interesting cut (hybrid of princess and radiant), great color, and fantastic clarity. Here are some pictures for you all.

Thank you.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you didn’t get what you bought, can’t you take it back and get your money?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, if they switched your stone, can't you just have them switch it back?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I love the stone and setting in the picture. Looks very Tiffany & Co.

Q

Queenie60

Do you have paperwork for the original stone? If so, I would go back to the retailer and initiate the conversation that this is not the stone you originally purchased. I had a switched stone many years ago, had original paperwork so therefore my insurance paid out and went after the con that switched my stone out. You must have original paperwork? I would hope so. Good luck to you.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know what you have but it’s really pretty. Hopefully you get your stone back!

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Do you have any more details? No certificates? How long did you have your original stone for... for insurance you would need to have had some kind of appraisal detailing your stone. How did the switch occur? I find it tough to believe you knew nothing more of your original and valuable stone.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed.

“I had a 2.18ct radiant, fancy intense yellow diamond measuring 7.49x6.90x4.51”

Who did the measuring?
Do you have any paperwork for it at all? A sales receipt?
Does the jeweller you originally purchased from still exist?
For how long did you have the original stone?
Do you have any photos of it?
Can you describe the situation and how you got here?

The lack of obviously-relevant details in this thread is perplexing.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Perplexed is a good word. What you describe can range from a serious felony to a bad appraisal (or two) with several options between. Sensible advice is going to vary wildly depending on the details.

Who graded the first stone and under what circumstances?

What, other than dimensions as reported by the appraiser, lead you to say it’s not the same stone?

Is this ‘switch’ something that happened during setting, selling, or something else entirely? Can you please describe the transaction that led to your predicament?

Are you suspecting a theft, a bad deal, or something else entirely?

You had this, the current stone, appraised. Doesn’t that appraisal include some of the details you’re asking about? Have you had this conversation with the appraiser? They’ve seen it, we haven’t. Was the appraiser working for you or the jeweler? How did you choose this appraiser?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In answers to what I’m guessing are your questions.

Is this an untreated natural diamond? No clue. A photograph is not sufficient to make either call.

Is this the same diamonds as what you had previously? No clue.

Did your jeweler treat you badly? No clue.

Is this stone cut well? No clue. Cutting on fancies has a huge element of maintaining color saturation. It’s a very different question than the cutting on modern round brilliants. ASET is not the correct tool for this.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
What makes you think the stone was switched? How did it happen? Have you contacted the police?

Your new stone is by your measurements .5mm less in length than your previous stone. It's also less deep, so lower in carat weight. My opinion is that if it's not your stone, you should do what you need to in order to be compensated. You should not settle for a stone you didn't purchase, even if it does look lovely.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
I think “unfortunate trade” does not indicate the appropriate feelings/reaction of someone who had actually been wronged with a stone switch of any kind, such as is being implied. Unless you received a better stone than you originally had you would be absolutely devastated and angry. Maybe you haven’t actually been wronged as has been alluded to?

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you all!!!! Here is a picture of my original stone. It is a true radiant with appraisal value of $22k. Never bought an insurance... -_-!!!! It has the GIA certificate which I still have. Just nothing I know about this new stone that is posted above...
YD Rings.JPG

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
So, if they switched your stone, can't you just have them switch it back?

They probably sold my stone...otherwise, why would they switch... -_-!!!! Thanks for the support

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Do you have paperwork for the original stone? If so, I would go back to the retailer and initiate the conversation that this is not the stone you originally purchased. I had a switched stone many years ago, had original paperwork so therefore my insurance paid out and went after the con that switched my stone out. You must have original paperwork? I would hope so. Good luck to you.

Thank you a lot. I took some comfort this is not something unheard. The probably is that I never bought an insurance for my original stone, and I trusted my jeweler to first sell it. He farmed it out, then later I decided to pull the sale, this happened... -_-!!! Thanks for your support.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I don’t know what you have but it’s really pretty. Hopefully you get your stone back!

I know...right? It is actually more sparkly than mine original radiant... I think it is a Cut-corner squared brilliant... but unfortunately, it is estimated to be below 2ct, which is probably why some dishonest dealer switched the stone...

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Do you have any more details? No certificates? How long did you have your original stone for... for insurance you would need to have had some kind of appraisal detailing your stone. How did the switch occur? I find it tough to believe you knew nothing more of your original and valuable stone.

My original ring was purchased with appraisal and GIA. It is over $20k...But I never bought an insurance.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Agreed.

“I had a 2.18ct radiant, fancy intense yellow diamond measuring 7.49x6.90x4.51”

Who did the measuring?
Do you have any paperwork for it at all? A sales receipt?
Does the jeweller you originally purchased from still exist?
For how long did you have the original stone?
Do you have any photos of it?
Can you describe the situation and how you got here?

The lack of obviously-relevant details in this thread is perplexing.

See some of my posts below. Thanks for your support.

SueAnne

Rough_Rock
You are very sparse on details, but obviously if this stone was pawned off as your original stone by your jeweler than you need to call the police and report them and their con.

You left a 22k item in the hands of your jeweler with some sort of consignment terms(?) hope you have paperwork to support this.

What were you trying to do in the first place?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Like others, I have far more questions than answers.
You describe it as "a 'switch' scam of a failed sales process"
Did you give your ring to someone to sell and then when it did not sell they gave you back the ring with a different stone in it?
If so, the dimensions would have had to be very similar to the original.

You indicate that you are in the process of resolving it with your jeweler. Is this the same jeweler that was responsible for your property during the 'failed sales process'?

What has the jeweler offered to do to resolve the situation? The first thing to do is get a GIA report on the new stone so you know what you are dealing with. Nobody will be able to tell you anything useful by looking at pictures.

Give us more background and you will get a lot of advice, some of which will likely be useful to you.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They probably sold my stone...otherwise, why would they switch... -_-!!!! Thanks for the support

Welllll.... have you called to ask them? Also, if you have proof they gave you the wrong stone, then you can get the police involved, as that is THEFT.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original ring was purchased with appraisal and GIA. It is over $20k...But I never bought an insurance.

If this jeweler did indeed give you a different diamond, then it is a police matter. The fact that you didn't insure it sucks, but it's not the end of the world IF you can prove they did so. You need to file a police report. But first, go back to the jeweler and tell them very matter-of-factly that the diamond in your ring is not your original stone. Ask them to find it - now. If they say they can't, then you need to let them know that you plan to press charges.

Last edited:

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You are very sparse on details, but obviously if this stone was pawned off as your original stone by your jeweler than you need to call the police and report them and their con.

You left a 22k item in the hands of your jeweler with some sort of consignment terms(?) hope you have paperwork to support this.

What were you trying to do in the first place?

I am actually more angry at myself than anything else because I did not take any precaution in selling this stone. i trusted someone who entrust this stone to someone else. However, someone during this sales process has not been honest which led to me stuck with a completely different stone with no ID now...I don't know what I can do really...I am trying to stay calm and gather wisdom here and see if there is anything I can potentially do. Thanks.

Reactions: AV_

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I gather that you consigned the ring with a jeweller to sell. However, you later changed your mind and asked for your ring back.
After receiving your ring back, you realized that the diamond in the ring wasn’t your original diamond.
1. Did the jeweller tell you that the diamond was already sold by the time you changed your mind about selling and consequently another similiar diamond was put into the ring
Or
2. Did he give you back your ring as if nothing had changed hoping you wouldn’t notice that the diamond in the ring wasn’t the original one?
Whether it was outright fraud or just a very bad business decision (what else could the jeweller do seeing as the diamond had been sold) he has deceived you if you weren’t informed.
Remedy can really only be financial now, your original diamond is gone.
You probably need to get two appraisals of the current diamond and an appraisal using the GIA certificate of your original diamond.
The jeweller should pay for the costs of these appraisals and if your original diamond is appraised as more $$$ he needs to make up that difference plus perhaps an extra sum for the deceit.
Legal action might be appropriate but it will be expensive and lengthy, it might be “he says he told you it was sold and you had to receive this replacement diamond and you said ok” “vs you saying “I didn’t want to sell my ring anymore and went and picked it up. Afterwards I realized that the diamond was different and the jeweller never told me” .
Whose story is right?
Hoping you can get a satisfactory resolution.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am actually more angry at myself than anything else because I did not take any precaution in selling this stone. i trusted someone who entrust this stone to someone else. However, someone during this sales process has not been honest which led to me stuck with a completely different stone with no ID now...I don't know what I can do really...I am trying to stay calm and gather wisdom here and see if there is anything I can potentially do. Thanks.

You've been told what to do by several posters.
1) contact the jeweler... let them know you're aware the stone is not yours, and ask that they give you back your original stone.
2) if they can't give you back your stone for any reason, then let them know that you will be filing a police report.
3) get a GIA report on the stone they gave you, so that you know exactly what you have [now]

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Like others, I have far more questions than answers.
You describe it as "a 'switch' scam of a failed sales process"
Did you give your ring to someone to sell and then when it did not sell they gave you back the ring with a different stone in it?
If so, the dimensions would have had to be very similar to the original.

You indicate that you are in the process of resolving it with your jeweler. Is this the same jeweler that was responsible for your property during the 'failed sales process'?

What has the jeweler offered to do to resolve the situation? The first thing to do is get a GIA report on the new stone so you know what you are dealing with. Nobody will be able to tell you anything useful by looking at pictures.

Give us more background and you will get a lot of advice, some of which will likely be useful to you.

Thanks very much for the reply. Maybe I should just share all the details. I unfortunately did all the wrong things (not did not so anything right) during this process.

Start from the beginning:

-- I bought my originally 2.18ct yellow intense diamond ring with the GIA certification for over $20k in Greenwich, CT. I did not insure it. (mistake #1)

-- I tried to sell my original GIA certified yellow diamond ring. I brought it to a jeweler with whom I have dealt for a while. There is no contractual agreement of this sale. (mistake #2) However, I kept the GIA certification because that's supposed to be transferred upon a successful sell.

-- During the attempted sales, he sent the stone to someone else with no binding agreement or insurance. (mistake #3)

-- Due to certain family reason, I have to cancel the sales process (I was told that the ring was almost sold) but my jeweler said he would get it back for me. After all the Jewish holidays, I finally got the ring back after almost two months, I realized it is not my original stone because the stone has an obvious different cut.

-- I brought the stone to an appraiser to check. He confirmed that this current stone has a different dimension than my original one. However, he suggested me to send the stone to GIA so we can know what's the price difference between the original one I had which is over 2ct and this current one which he is 90% under 2ct. He felt bad for me and did not even charge me anything.

-- I have sent GIA an email with the image of the GIA certificate with my original stone. I told them that if there is anything they do to track stolen stones, I hope the information is helpful.

-- My jeweler still have not come up with anything concrete in resolving the situation. Frankly, I really do not want to get into a legal battle with him especially that I am somewhat close to him and his finance.

If you have any suggestion based on all the stupid things I did, I am all ears. Thank you very much.

Reactions: AV_

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks very much for the reply. Maybe I should just share all the details. I unfortunately did all the wrong things (not did not so anything right) during this process.

Start from the beginning:

-- I bought my originally 2.18ct yellow intense diamond ring with the GIA certification for over $20k in Greenwich, CT. I did not insure it. (mistake #1)

-- I tried to sell my original GIA certified yellow diamond ring. I brought it to a jeweler with whom I have dealt for a while. There is no contractual agreement of this sale. (mistake #2) However, I kept the GIA certification because that's supposed to be transferred upon a successful sell.

-- During the attempted sales, he sent the stone to someone else with no binding agreement or insurance. (mistake #3)

-- Due to certain family reason, I have to cancel the sales process (I was told that the ring was almost sold) but my jeweler said he would get it back for me. After all the Jewish holidays, I finally got the ring back after almost two months, I realized it is not my original stone because the stone has an obvious different cut.

-- I brought the stone to an appraiser to check. He confirmed that this current stone has a different dimension than my original one. However, he suggested me to send the stone to GIA so we can know what's the price difference between the original one I had which is over 2ct and this current one which he is 90% under 2ct. He felt bad for me and did not even charge me anything.

-- I have sent GIA an email with the image of the GIA certificate with my original stone. I told them that if there is anything they do to track stolen stones, I hope the information is helpful.

-- My jeweler still have not come up with anything concrete in resolving the situation. Frankly, I really do not want to get into a legal battle with him especially that I am somewhat close to him and his finance.

If you have any suggestion based on all the stupid things I did, I am all ears. Thank you very much.

Well, the fact that you're close with him just adds to the level of deceit this jeweler is capable of... I mean, do you think you'll be okay with him stealing from you? Shouldn't that end the friendship right there?? If anything at all, he owes it to you to source a stone that you will agree to. He should be begging for your forgiveness and bending over backwards to try to make this right with you at this point.

Also, you need to STOP BLAMING YOURSELF. True enough, you could've done things a little better, but YOUR JEWELER IS A THIEF! ...and there is NOTHING you could've done to change that. You need to focus on what you can do now.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's important to clarify:
Did he tell you that he was giving you back the original ring with the original stone in it? Or did he say, "I already sold the diamond, sorry, but I put a replacement in it"?

If he told you that he was giving you back the exact ring you had given him, but did not, then you need to file a report. Period.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's important to clarify:
Did he tell you that he was giving you back the original ring with the original stone in it? Or did he say, "I already sold the diamond, sorry, but I put a replacement in it"?

If he told you that he was giving you back the exact ring you had given him, but did not, then you need to file a report. Period.

This is a very good point, @lovedogs...

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
* * * The first thing to do is get a GIA report on the new stone so you know what you are dealing with. Nobody will be able to tell you anything useful by looking at pictures. * * *
- I brought the stone to an appraiser to check. He confirmed that this current stone has a different dimension than my original one. However, he suggested me to send the stone to GIA so we can know what's the price difference between the original one I had which is over 2ct and this current one which he is 90% under 2ct. He felt bad for me and did not even charge me anything.
As a longtime Ass't District Attorney in NYC, I'd like to strongly recommend that you follow the advice given above -- before you do anything else, including calling the authorities. A GIA report on the current diamond -- loose -- will be far more authoritative-conclusive than the local appraiser's measurements of the mounted stone and his guesstimate of the weight.

I'm hoping that you'll clarify these 2 things in your preceding post:
  • Did you turn your ring over to "your" jeweler as a consignment without getting any descriptive receipt from him that would document you gave him the ring -- or are you saying that you have a receipt showing that he took custody of the ring, but that there is no written agreement as to the terms of the consignment (e.g., whether any and all offers had to be relayed to, and accepted by, you (if the offer was satisfactory to you) or whether he was free to accept an offer that was at least X amount of dollars; what percentage of the sale price was the agreed-upon commission)?
  • Is "almost two months" the lag time between the return of the ring to you & your realization that the center stone is not the same or do you mean that nearly 2 months passed between the time you told him you were no longer interested in selling the ring, so wanted it back & when you picked up the ring from him?

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results