shape
carat
color
clarity

Acrylic nails

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
are there any good substitutions for acrylics? In addition to all the issues I am dealing with, I have THE Mardi Gras ball to attend next weekend. I’m going to wear those fabulous sapphire drop earrings I bought in the fall.

My nails are pitiful. Short, very short and peeling. They are always so weak anyway, I’m sort of thinking short acrylics and they would last for the trial also. Can they really damage such ridiculous nails anyway?

Help me out here, ladies, I have 7 days to get something done here. Any ideas?

Thanks.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
82C05A2B-EF6B-4494-89DE-83623F229238.jpeg

My dress

88F19C56-64A0-4C3C-8F2F-8EED91203B5A.jpeg

The earrings

I was practicing this hairstyle today, but I don’t think I can get it to work lol

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I personally don't like the acrylics. I prefer gels. For me they last longer. I had mine done last night so they are looking ok today! I don't like having them filled though. I wish any kind of fake nail would wear out better so there isn't an obvious gap.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally don't like the acrylics. I prefer gels. For me they last longer. I had mine done last night so they are looking ok today! I don't like having them filled though. I wish any kind of fake nail would wear out better so there isn't an obvious gap.

This is a gel tip? Tbh I would likely take them off after the trial. Do they ruin your nailbed like acrylics? Thanks.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The gel nails are removed at the salon if you want them taken off. I wouldn't take them off at home and risk hurting my hands . They do last a long time.

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
are there any good substitutions for acrylics? In addition to all the issues I am dealing with, I have THE Mardi Gras ball to attend next weekend. I’m going to wear those fabulous sapphire drop earrings I bought in the fall.

My nails are pitiful. Short, very short and peeling. They are always so weak anyway, I’m sort of thinking short acrylics and they would last for the trial also. Can they really damage such ridiculous nails anyway?

Help me out here, ladies, I have 7 days to get something done here. Any ideas?

Thanks.
I do silk wraps because the nails breathe underneath and I have them fully redone every 6 months & my nails are healthy. My nails break easily when they get a certain length so the silk just adds a bit of thickness to them. They also look completely natural and don't stink like acrylic.
I had acrylics (at salon and did myself) & gel nail extensions and they do damage to your nails. Acrylics smell, your nails don't breathe so there is a risk of infection (happened to me). With gel they use hard gels that have to be drilled off because acetone can't remove them. So, every time they remove them your nails get more and more brittle.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish they still made Lee press on nails. They were awesome for one night.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ah- lee press ons!

I haven’t thought about lee press on nails in ages, but they were fun !

I may have a different kind of gel nails as they are removed with wraps. Thankfully the kind here are not drilled off. That would freak me out! The removal does smell awful. Both on and off it takes a long time too.
There is no easy on and easy removable solution yet. Hopefully one day though!
I had them done with blue polish, but removed it today and put silver with sparkles on. I usually end up with a neutral pink after a few days of the wilder colors!
:roll2:

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This was right after I changed the color to silver. With my halo ring in a wg setting.
I think insanely long nails help lengthen my stubby fingers.
0408C60B-E174-453F-BCB7-0BE719C40231.jpeg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was right after I changed the color to silver. With my halo ring in a wg setting.
I think insanely long nails help lengthen my stubby fingers.
0408C60B-E174-453F-BCB7-0BE719C40231.jpeg

I like that. I would get a metallic except it would be too much for court. So I’ll probably get some dull natural color QE2 would approve. Lol.

If I do anything at all. It’s going to be dark and everyone will be looking at my earrings :twirl:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can have polygel (different from gel polish) to give you length on a temporary basis and it doesn’t damage your nails like acrylic. I would recommend getting them removed professionally rather than trying to get it off yourself.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just bite the bullet and go for acrylics or gels..both will damage the nails but they are beautiful. Look on Pinterest for what you might prefer. Coffin shapes are really in right now and very beautiful.

Here are some examples...

59C43F2E-702B-4CFF-B7A1-B590581EB63F.jpeg 77A6FC6E-6283-4A32-98B5-874DF149B648.jpeg 58B60F49-8911-48C3-B329-6D68D8C85B36.jpeg 1ECCC44C-B45E-4864-868A-977522450CCC.jpeg

Pointed shape
A40C6907-5BA9-4B4A-A9FC-97305763D563.jpeg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can have polygel (different from gel polish) to give you length on a temporary basis and it doesn’t damage your nails like acrylic. I would recommend getting them removed professionally rather than trying to get it off yourself.

Ok, yes, I’m going to work on something this week. Thanks.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just bite the bullet and go for acrylics or gels..both will damage the nails but they are beautiful. Look on Pinterest for what you might prefer. Coffin shapes are really in right now and very beautiful.

Here are some examples...

59C43F2E-702B-4CFF-B7A1-B590581EB63F.jpeg 77A6FC6E-6283-4A32-98B5-874DF149B648.jpeg 58B60F49-8911-48C3-B329-6D68D8C85B36.jpeg 1ECCC44C-B45E-4864-868A-977522450CCC.jpeg

Pointed shape
A40C6907-5BA9-4B4A-A9FC-97305763D563.jpeg

Those are all really nice. I’m never going to keep them up though...

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are all really nice. I’m never going to keep them up though...
They do sell glue on nails at target. If you google them, they look very nice once on. They aren’t press-on with the little stickers , but they are pretty easy to put on and just as temporary.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
just looking at those pics kinda makes me wish finger lipo was a real thing . What beautiful hands!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just do short acrylic or gel in a neutral or French manicure. They would work for the ball and the trial and you can remove them after that if you wish. They do damage nails to an extent but you can start over trying to grow your nails out after that - or you might like them enough to keep them up!

I keep my own nails short and neutral- I can't stand anything stuck to me or the look of the grow out. However, if my nails were not in good shape and I had a special event, I might consider them.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They do sell glue on nails at target. If you google them, they look very nice once on. They aren’t press-on with the little stickers , but they are pretty easy to put on and just as temporary.

I used those two years in a row and I left one on my friend’s husband’s jacket (lol, we laughed about it. He asked me to dance. It’s that kind of thing) and I realized one was missing and couldn’t find it and it was hanging in my hair :lol::lol:

@tkyasx78 we need to stop complaining about every part of us— I do it too, especially about my hands. Those are gorgeous hands and nails though.

@MissGotRocks I think I may do this. So when do I do it? Is today ok if the ball is next weekend and the trial a week from Wednesday/Thursday?

ETA: I also did an 18% tca peel and am starting to peel, so I look a fright:eek2:

Last edited:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used those two years in a row and I left one on my friend’s husband’s jacket (lol, we laughed about it. He asked me to dance. It’s that kind of thing) and I realized one was missing and couldn’t find it and it was hanging in my hair :lol::lol:

@tkyasx78 we need to stop complaining about every part of us— I do it too, especially about my hands. Those are gorgeous hands and nails though.

@MissGotRocks I think I may do this. So when do I do it? Is today ok if the ball is next weekend and the trial a week from Wednesday/Thursday?

ETA: I also did an 18% tca peel and am starting to peel, so I look a fright:eek2:
Can you please let me know how that peel goes? I have one sitting in my medicine closet but i’m Too afraid to use it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you please let me know how that peel goes? I have one sitting in my medicine closet but i’m Too afraid to use it.

I’ve been working up to 18%. Started over a year ago. All of my peels are from makeupartistschoice. This is my second 4 layer 18% TCA. I look like a shriveled up old bat right now. Lol will tack on a pic. :eek2:

AC90DE30-DC62-40B3-A065-23FE4D3CDB31.jpeg

Yes, I do my under eyes with 18%— again, worked up to it. I have already started peeling around my mouth. My melasma has turned a bit darker as you might be able to see and the whole thing has gotten tight and wrinkly, so in another day or two— she’s going to blow lol. Will start peeling like a mad woman soon.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
679F139D-E8AE-4E3E-AF99-8A71304610AC.jpeg

It’s pretty scary looking while it’s happening, but my skin is going to look lifted and luminous by the ball. Any dark patches get darker in preparation to peel.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love makeup artists choice. Did you start with different acids first? You’re going to peel really well! It’s going to be awesome! I hope you get good results!!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whitewave, They still have some sort of press on nails. My SIL was wearing them last weekend and I would have never known they weren’t acrylic or gel nails. Do you want me to ask her what Brand they were?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whitewave, They still have some sort of press on nails. My SIL was wearing them last weekend and I would have never known they weren’t acrylic or gel nails. Do you want me to ask her what Brand they were?

Yes, please!!!!! Thank you.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love makeup artists choice. Did you start with different acids first? You’re going to peel really well! It’s going to be awesome! I hope you get good results!!

Yes, I started with their phytix peel. Then did a 25% mandelic acid peel which I had a BAD reaction to. It’s me, not the peel. Then I did several more phytix peels. Then the lowest TCA (8%?) then 12% then 15% now 18% and just ordered another bottle of 18%.

My melsma is bad, but I recently took about 4 months off from peels to let my skin rest and receive the gains. I will probably not do another TCA until after the summer. I will switch to once a week Fade peels after about 6 weeks has passed from this one.

I love the phytix one because it’s their “red carpet” peel... use it the day of an event and you look red carpet ready.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish they still made Lee press on nails. They were awesome for one night.
Have you looked at Impress nails? They appear to be the Lee press ons for today. I tried them for the first time this week. So far, so good? Not perfect, but they are cheap and temporary. I'll take a picture in a few minutes.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would wait until closer the first of the events - they will be fresh looking for both!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, two other of their products I think are amazing are the pumpkin glycolic mask and the gly-lauronic serum.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked at Impress nails? They appear to be the Lee press ons for today. I tried them for the first time this week. So far, so good? Not perfect, but they are cheap and temporary. I'll take a picture in a few minutes.

Thank you! I’ll go look. Where did you buy yours?

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to say Target or CVS. Sorry, I've had them a few weeks before I decided to finally fry them on Thursday. Here are a couple quick pictures 20190216_134347.jpg 20190216_134407.jpg 20190216_134419.jpg 20190216_134428.jpg

The thumb nail gave me the most problems. They are secure. but lifted a little if that makes sense. I think it's that my nail beds are flat, they curve side to side, as well as the length. But they've stayed on, and should remove fairly easily with regular remover. I can report back on that, probably tomorrow or Monday

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results