shape
carat
color
clarity

99.2% of recent US Covid deaths were unvaccinated people

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm posting in case this is helpful. My adult niece has multiple auto-immune issues, probably a dozen or more, including Type I diabetes, RA, connective tissue disorder, scleroderma, Sjogren's, and others I can't even remember. So many she's almost a medical unicorn. She's had both shots of Pfizer with no flare-ups of any of them. She did have some side effects, like tired, sore arm, headache, etc. but it did not trigger any of her AI issues. She was prioritized to get the vaccine because of her many AI issues, and she was anxious to get it because she's a teacher.

Thank you so much for sharing this with me. It's very helpful.

W

westofhere

Our help unfortunately will not be enough if 160 million Americans refuse to get vaccinated. Hopefully countries with higher vaccination rates will close their borders to us.

A fully vaccinated colleague emailed all of us last night to say he had Covid and that it took him out of commission for eight days. :( With protests against mask mandates continuing in many cities, the cost of lost productivity in the Fall and Winter is going to be enormous. So very foolish.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guess we are wasting lots of money on cancer research if folks like @Frost Me won’t avail themselves of anything that could prevent them from getting cancer.

We are not wasting time on cancer research (etc) because there are many people who will benefit from it and be grateful for it. If only 50% who get cancer avail themselves to treatment that is still a lot of people.

More than 161 million people in the U.S. have been fully vaccinated.
Those people are grateful and appreciative and perhaps their lives saved because of it.
Unfortunately for the pandemic 50% of the population is just not enough.

I agree that other countries should close their borders to any country (including the USA) who isn't at least 75-80% vaccinated. It's the only way to stop the spread from the countries where people refuse to get vaccinated.

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
We are not wasting time on cancer research (etc) because there are many people who will benefit from it and be grateful for it. If only 50% who get cancer avail themselves to treatment that is still a lot of people.

More than 161 million people in the U.S. have been fully vaccinated.
Those people are grateful and appreciative and perhaps their lives saved because of it.
Unfortunately for the pandemic 50% of the population is just not enough.

I agree that other countries should close their borders to any country (including the USA) who isn't at least 75-80% vaccinated. It's the only way to stop the spread from the countries where people refuse to get vaccinated.

Agree - I was being sarcastic.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure how anyone could really believe that the pandemic response has been in any way, shape or form overdone when it shut down not just our country for over a year (and it's not over yet) but also the ENTIRE WORLD. Gee, we must have a whole lot of really, really stupid scientists and doctors worldwide. Also then lots of actors hired worldwide to fill up all those hospitals and morgues, I suppose?

But then, like many, I am very, very stunned (and terrified) with the sheer volume of very obvious propaganda and lies that too many people STILL believe from the last administration. I so hope the recovery from it continues.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you sooo much. x

I have been thinking about your posts (@Diamond Girl 21 you too), and just wanted to share...

My father is in his 70s and suffers from too many health issues to count. Deep vein thrombosis (blood clotting disorder), liver failure, acute heart disease, wet macular degeneration, to name a few. (Don't feel too sorry, he's a lively active man despite it all.)

We expect it was from an accident that causes brain injury, not an autoimmune disease...but he experiences vertigo episodes occasionally, there have been periods where they lasted for days, and then there would be weeks or months before he had another. He's had them for about 5 years. Each time was debilitating and he sometimes hallucinated during episodes. He has had both rounds of Pfizer, recommended by his doctor. He had basically no symptoms round 1, and round 2 was fatigued for a few days and that was it.

My mother in law has Lupus and Psoriasis, and also had the first round of the Pfizer vaccine with no complications. Father in law has really poorly controlled Type 2 diabetes and has a history of blood clots (one almost killed him) and was also fine.

I hope you are well and suffer no complications. Good luck.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Americans are so privileged to be thinking about a booster shot when most of the world is still unable to even get the first shot.

You know, the worldwide vaccine shortages finally eased a bit when US finally didn’t need so much vaccines.

So the fact that there are so many Americans who refuse to be vaccinated maybe isn’t such a bad thing for the rest of the world…

I totally agree @icy_jade - most of my European and Asian friends have not been able to get even a first round. Many of them have immunocompromised family who haven't either.

One of my best friends is pregnant (due any day) and was desperate to get a shot, and hasn't been able to. She is isolating herself in her home, mostly in her bedroom away from other school-aged children) because she is a geriatric pregnancy (meaning over 35). It's awful.

It makes me furious just thinking about the number of vaccines that are distributed in the U.S. that just get thrown out by the end of the day because people can't be bothered. People deciding not to get vaccinated, unfortunately doesn't mean that they are getting funneled elsewhere. From what I understand, they are distributed based on census data across counties (which are smaller areas within states).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our help unfortunately will not be enough if 160 million Americans refuse to get vaccinated. Hopefully countries with higher vaccination rates will close their borders to us.
So you do agree we should close the Mexican border?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I think we may see a sizeable contingent of men rise to the occasion and decide that the vaccines just might be worth it, after all.
Just a hunch.
*Whatever works.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ain't gonna happen. May as well start shutting down all the airports now.

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I totally agree @icy_jade - most of my European and Asian friends have not been able to get even a first round. Many of them have immunocompromised family who haven't either.

Thanks @Cerulean
So I guess you get what I mean and why I reacted to the idea of booster shots.

In many parts of the world, if you can get vaccinated, and it’s any vaccine even those that are already known to be less effective against Covid, it’s like striking lottery. Literally people are just so happy to have access to some form of vaccine. I know many who got Covid, and someone who died and they never had access to any vaccine.

Found this (outdated) chart that shows the doses per person purchased by countries:

36DF2D1E-B647-43BB-9DD6-BFE010C9D3EF.jpeg

More information via:

A few days ago US just ordered another 200m shots from Pfizer:

That’s on top of 200m Moderna boosters ordered last month:

Anyway I know this thread is about US covid deaths due to unvaccinated and this is off-topic so peace out.

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
An intelligent and logical analogy would be:

What if cancer were highly contagious but preventable, but 50% of Americans were duped by trashy morons in the media into not getting the preventative medicine?

I'm aware this is another fallacy but... So like the HPV vaccine and cervical cancer? ;-)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been thinking about your posts (@Diamond Girl 21 you too), and just wanted to share...

My father is in his 70s and suffers from too many health issues to count. Deep vein thrombosis (blood clotting disorder), liver failure, acute heart disease, wet macular degeneration, to name a few. (Don't feel too sorry, he's a lively active man despite it all.)

We expect it was from an accident that causes brain injury, not an autoimmune disease...but he experiences vertigo episodes occasionally, there have been periods where they lasted for days, and then there would be weeks or months before he had another. He's had them for about 5 years. Each time was debilitating and he sometimes hallucinated during episodes. He has had both rounds of Pfizer, recommended by his doctor. He had basically no symptoms round 1, and round 2 was fatigued for a few days and that was it.

My mother in law has Lupus and Psoriasis, and also had the first round of the Pfizer vaccine with no complications. Father in law has really poorly controlled Type 2 diabetes and has a history of blood clots (one almost killed him) and was also fine.

Thank you so much for your post, @Cerulean.

Best wishes to your father and in-laws. So glad that they had no complications post vaccination.

x

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for sharing. I really appreciate it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Percentage wise the USA isn't doing a good job at getting their people vaccinated.
Singapore, just to choose one example, OTOH, is doing a much better job.

Statistics from Reuters.com.
Singapore has already inoculated nearly 75% of its 5.7 million people, the world's second highest after the United Arab Emirates and half its population is fully vaccinated.

Whereas as of 6 a.m. EDT July 26, a total of 163,173,366 Americans had been fully vaccinated, or 49.1 percent of the country's population, according to the CDC's data.

If every country could vaccinate as much as their population as Singapore we would be in better shape regarding this pandemic.

Here's an informative graphic for those who are interested.

How do we end vaccine inequity?

"One important step is an intellectual property (IP) waiver. The Biden administration recently reversed US policy and was joined by France in endorsing a proposal by India and South Africa to temporarily waive countries’ World Trade Organization (WTO) obligations to enforce IP on COVID-19 technologies. The proposal still faces negotiations over its scope and opposition by certain high-income countries."

Vaccine inequity is a serious issue and will have long lasting profound effects. I feel like a broken record but the USA isn't the bad guy here IMO. There are countries blocking sharing of intellectual property for the vaccines that would allow other countries to make the vaccines. There are other countries who need to give more to those in need. In some low- and middle-income countries, less than 1 per cent of the population is vaccinated. The pandemic is going to continue until we address this crisis. We all have to pull together.

Vaccine inequity threatens all countries and risks us going backwards regarding this pandemic. And further puts the most vulnerable among us at great risk.

This inequity is the biggest obstacle to ending this pandemic and recovering from COVID-19.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Diamond Girl 21 a dear friend of mine with a multitude of health issues just got her second Pfizer dose 2 days ago and is doing really well. After her first dose she was a bit achey and after her second dose she had chills and a low grade fever for 12 hours. And now she is fine. She has so many health issues including AI issues and MS. And I just wanted to share her positive experience with you and @Phoenix. Thinking good thoughts for you both. XO.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Diamond Girl 21 a dear friend of mine with a multitude of health issues just got her second Pfizer dose 2 days ago and is doing really well. After her first dose she was a bit achey and after her second dose she had chills and a low grade fever for 12 hours. And now she is fine. She has so many health issues including AI issues and MS. And I just wanted to share her positive experience with you and @Phoenix. Thinking good thoughts for you both. XO.

Thanks so much, @missy. Best wishes to your friend.

Agreed SG is doing a really good job with its vaccination efforts.

Thinking of you too, @Diamond Girl 21 .

x

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks @missy. I'm glad she's doing well.❤

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
**removed at request of OP**
I lost my mother to cancer. My brother lived with the adverse effects of cancer treatment - and bested them - for over forty years before cancer ultimately bested him. His last two years were excruciatingly difficult. I should be offended by this ridiculous “analogy.” I should be appalled. But my main reaction is sadness, that our public discourse has come to this: communication through inflammatory but totally meaningless memes.

If anyone truly believes that this is a valid analogy, please, let’s have a serious discussion about it. Let’s talk about about the differences between a virus and cancer, and the differences between a vaccination and chemotherapy/radiation, and why, then, the analogy fails.

Last edited by a moderator:

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
It's been a year (and 2 days) since our ICU chief died of COVID. I was just talking to one of the ICU nurses last night, and as expected, there's still a hole there. And now we are watching the wave of Delta begin - the wave of the unvaccinated. These people ridicule our knowledge and advice until the moment they are sick, and then beg us to help them with therapies far less effective than the vaccine.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost my mother to cancer. My brother lived with the adverse effects of cancer treatment - and bested them - for over forty years before cancer ultimately bested him. His last two years were excruciatingly difficult. I should be offended by this ridiculous “analogy.” I should be appalled. But my main reaction is sadness, that our public discourse has come to this: communication through inflammatory but totally meaningless memes.

If anyone truly believes that this is a valid analogy, please, let’s have a serious discussion about it. Let’s talk about about the differences between a virus and cancer, and the differences between a vaccination and chemotherapy/radiation, and why, then, the analogy fails.

The problem is that if anyone truly believes this is a valid analogy then they are too stupid to have a meaningful discussion with.

I'm sick and tired of pussyfooting around with people whose response when they find themselves stuck in a hole is to dig deeper.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results