shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I make a bad decision?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilm3bgaja

Rough_Rock
Okay - so I have been a lurker here for a while. I purchased a diamond two weeks ago, and have been happily wearing it and proudly showing it off. To me, it looks beautiful. My husband and I purchased the diamond from a local reputable jeweler, and while it is not a perfect hearts and arrows or 000 cut as I have seen referenced in this website, it is a GIA excellent cut and symmetry.

However, yesterday at my mom''s house, I noticed something that I hadn''t seen before. I don''t know if it was the lighting, etc, but now I am worried that this particular diamond might have the dreaded "fish eye" effect? I can see a slight shadow when looking directly down on the diamond...
33.gif

Now I am really hoping that I didn''t purchase a "bad" diamond. I have attached a PDF of the dimensions, as I have difficulty reading the reports. Bottom line, as beautiful as I have thought it was for the past few weeks, I am having second thoughts, and our jeweler does have a 90 day return policy.

The rest of the stats are:

Shape and Cutting Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.82 6.88 x 4.22mm

Carat Weight: 1.20
Color Grade: I
Clarity Grade: SI1
Cut Grade: Excellent
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Faint

The report shows a few crystals that I can''t locate without a loupe or a microscope. I don''t have any photos as of yet, but I can try to capture what I am talking about tonight.

Thanks for your help!!!

Attachments

• GIAdiamond1027.pdf
    21.2 KB · Views: 56

sparxs111

Shiny_Rock
I have seen that on the diamond and setting I have, and it is just a reflection od a little hole at the bottom of the setting...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well....the light return rating on it is only "good" on the HCA. And it's score is 5.2, usually you want to be under 2. Did you get a chance to compare it to some really superbly cut stones? If possible, I would go do this and compare in all different light sources to your diamond. Then you can make a more objective decision about whether it's your stone or not.

It could also just be a reflection of your head too though...

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would say change the stone since you are still in the return period. HCA scored a 5.2. quite bad actually. Get one that is really in the excellent cut range.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2008 12:56:49 PM
Author: neatfreak
Well....the light return rating on it is only ''good'' on the HCA. And it''s score is 5.2, usually you want to be under 2. Did you get a chance to compare it to some really superbly cut stones? If possible, I would go do this and compare in all different light sources to your diamond. Then you can make a more objective decision about whether it''s your stone or not.

It could also just be a reflection of your head too though...
Yep ditto. As it is hitting what we call steep deep range, I would compare it to some others of known cut quality such as AGS0 as this might be a better choice for you.

BM993T

Rough_Rock
How are you guys getting the HCA score without the actual diamond numbers?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2008 1:00:52 PM
Author: BM993T
How are you guys getting the HCA score with the actual diamond numbers?

Using this tool

BM993T

Rough_Rock
Yes, I know that tool, but the OP did not provide table, depth etc.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say to the original poster, numbers are one thing but we can't see the diamond and so you must treat any advice given to you accordingly, especially as you say you have been proud of it and thought it was beautiful initially. I would suggest comparing this diamond to some of known cut quality such as Hearts on Fire or other AGS0 cut grade to see which appeals to you the most, then you have a good comparison.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2008 1:03:48 PM
Yes, I know that tool, but the OP did not provide table, depth etc.

Yes they did, the report is attached.

BM993T

Rough_Rock
All,
Apparently, I am blind.

Give me a break, it''s Monday :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2008 1:07:01 PM
All,
Apparently, I am blind.

Give me a break, it''s Monday :)
That has caught many unawares - no worries!

ilm3bgaja

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your posts....I will think about it and talk to my husband. Even though we picked it out together (read I picked it out and he sat in the chair beside me) I am also slightly worried that he will be a little miffed that I now do not know if I like the diamond or not. Fickle women!!!

It is set in an antique style Tacori setting (which I love).

I honestly do not know if the jewelry store carries AGS0 or not. It is something I will check into. I know they carry Hearts on Fire, but I would never buy one of those and pay extra for the branding
20.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2008 1:10:44 PM
Author: ilm3bgaja
Thank you all for your posts....I will think about it and talk to my husband. Even though we picked it out together (read I picked it out and he sat in the chair beside me) I am also slightly worried that he will be a little miffed that I now do not know if I like the diamond or not. Fickle women!!!

I honestly do not know if the jewelry store carries AGS0 or not. It is something I will check into. I know they carry Hearts on Fire, but I would never buy one of those and pay extra for the branding
20.gif
Just take a look at those so you can see how a well cut stone looks, then you can see how yours measures up. Then if you decide to change your stone, consider AGS0 cut grade and GIA Excellent then we can help you from there.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2008 1:14:02 PM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 10/27/2008 1:10:44 PM

20.gif

Just take a look at those so you can see how a well cut stone looks, then you can see how yours measures up. Then if you decide to change your stone, consider AGS0 cut grade and GIA Excellent then we can help you from there.

Ditto. Hearts on Fire basically=an AGS0 with a hearts and arrows pattern. They might be overpriced, but they are good comparisons if the store doesn''t have AGS0''s in stock.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
We only wants you to do a comparison with the HOF stone, not to recommend you to buy it... Definitely not worth the price for the brand name. See if you can notice the difference between the two stones in performance under different lighting, if not then your present stone should be a good optical performer. :)

Good Luck.

Edt:
Ditto above.

ilm3bgaja

Rough_Rock
I''m a little upset because technically this is supposed to be an "Excellent" cut stone from GIA? Ugh. Can I borrow one of you to go shopping with me?? LOL
21.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2008 1:18:13 PM
I''m a little upset because technically this is supposed to be an ''Excellent'' cut stone from GIA? Ugh. Can I borrow one of you to go shopping with me?? LOL
21.gif

I know...unfortunately GIA has a very broad definition of "excellent" stones, some of which are not so excellent...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2008 1:18:13 PM
I'm a little upset because technically this is supposed to be an 'Excellent' cut stone from GIA? Ugh. Can I borrow one of you to go shopping with me?? LOL
21.gif
As Neat says, GIA Ex cut grade can allow for some less desirable combos unfortunately, but as for taking us shopping, all you need to do is to report back with the proportions and details of any diamond you like, and we can help you from there!

I know it can be a bit stressful, but we are here to guide you through it whatever you decide to do!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results