shape
carat
color
clarity

Plain Platinum Wedding Band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marinatchka

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I have a 6 prong platinum engagement ring from Tiffany and I''m looking for a wedding band to go with it. I really love the idea of a plain platinum band as opposed to something with a little bling to it. I''ve seen the tiffany knife edge band a long time ago and found it kind of thin and that it looked like a key ring. I really would love a band that exactly matched the band of the e -ring (which the knife edged platinum band does not-> it is a bit more sharp at the edge). I was wondering if anyone has the lucida platinum band paired with the 6 prong ring (or the tiffany milgrain plat. band). I would love to see how they look together. I would most likely be ordering my wedding band online since there is no tiffany anywhere near where I live (so going into the store isn''t an option). Also, I was wondering what other ladies here matched with their tiffany setting rings (plain metal bands only). thanks

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I have the 6-prong Tiffany as well, and I'm a lucky girl in that there's a T&Co literally around the corner from me, so I go every once in awhile to play. I'm also planning to get a plain platinum band but dislike the knife-edge one. I've tried the 2mm Lucida, 3mm Lucida, and plain Novo (there's one without diamonds, which I originally found out about through PS, although the last time I went into my local T&Co they insisted it didn't exist. I told the saleslady that I knew it existed because I had tried it on at their other store in the area a few weeks ago, and described it again, and she finally looked and found it. She was really embarrassed, which was not my intention, but come on -- at a store like that, you need to know your inventory. Not to mention, I just checked the website and it's there).

Anyway, back to the rings. Depending on the carat weight of your e-ring, the band will be slightly thicker or thinner. I have a small diamond so mine is actually a teeny bit under 2mm, so the 3mm Lucida overwhelmed it. If you have a larger diamond, you may want to check both the 2 and 3mm bands. The 2mm Lucida looked fine with my ring and probably would have been my choice if I'd never learned about the plain Novo. I think I'm probably going to end up going with the plain Novo, though, because IMO the squared-off look compliments the knife-edge band of the e-ring better than the rounded Lucida. But I don't think you'd go wrong either way.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics, I've never been brave enough to whip out my camera there. I did ask about engraving and she said that the 2mm bands aren't too thin to be engraved, so that made me happy.

Do you have a local jeweler where you can try on some similar bands, just to get an idea of how a comfort-fit style band would look with your e-ring (since that's basically what a Lucida is) and to see the widths? Also, if they have a 2mm pipe-cut style, that would be similar to the Novo. Once you see similar bands on your own finger, it will probably help.

I hope this helps a little!

marinatchka

Rough_Rock
thanks for the really helpful reply. My stone is large (1.88 carats) so I probably would be looking at the 3mm. I tried on a few bands that look similar to the lucida band (although I''ve never seen the lucida band inperson) and found that they sat very low and was very flat and looked a little funny with my ring. The lucida looks like it''s a bit more raised in the picture, did you find it''s the case? I guess I will have to schedule a trip to the US to have a look at what tiffany has. Here in Canada, our equivalent is Birks but I didn''t like their selection (although they offered to have a band custom made to match the knife edge look of my ring, I really want to buy the band from tiffany). Did you try the milgrain band with your ring?

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I understand wanting to buy your band there -- I know we could get ours cheaper but I figure, my DF chose to shop at Tiffany for the ring, so it was really his choice, not mine
31.gif
I didn't try the milgrain, though, because I knew I didn't want it. The Lucida has a bit of a dome but it's not much -- it looked pretty flat compared to my e-ring's band. I don't think the Novo sits all that much higher than the Lucida, but the difference is that it's not rounded so it sits higher over the whole width, not just in the center. Visually, it seemed to hold its own more against my e-ring. Tiffany also has a 3mm pipe-cut band, which is similar to the plain Novo, so you might want to think about that if you're going for a 3mm.

ETA: per their website, it looks like there are T&Co stand-alone stores in Vancouver and Toronto, and that they have counters in Holt Renfrew in Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottowa, and Vancouver. So if you're near any of these places, you could call to see if they have the rings you're interested in -- it might be quicker and easier than scheduling a trip across the border!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results