shape
carat
color
clarity

9 carat gold - how good /bad is it??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi
I found a cute little 9 carrat yellow and white gold necklace and am wondering how good/bad this is. The cost is reasonable. I usually have 18 carate gold jewellery. What are the pro''s / cons''s of 9 carat? Should I stay clear of it??
Any feedback really appreciated.
thanks
D2B

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My understanding is that it has alot less gold in it 9 parts out of 24 parts. This makes it less expensive and harder/more durable. Here in the US 10 kt gold is used in school rings otherwise it''s 14 or 18. In Europe 9 kt is used for some things.

Hope that helps.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
My husband''s college ring is 10 kt. gold. He''s had it for years and it still looks fine today without any special care. I would imagine 9 kt. would be fine too although the color will look a little different than your 18 kt. stuff.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, I suppose I was worried if it would tarnish, or look ''bad''after a few years. I am just not used to 9 k gold and the jewellery shop cant make it for me in 18 k as it isnt one of his own pieces.
D2B

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
9 carat gold is 37.5% actual gold, (o 375 parts out of 1000) whereas 18 carat is 750%, so it''s purely the gold content that differs, not the durability of the colour. I have quite a few 9 carat pieces, bracelets, necklaces and gold dome rings and such, and they look as good as when I bought them, just not as ''yellow'' as higher carat gold. I wear 9 carat earrings everyday.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2007 4:44:37 AM
Author: D2B
Thanks, I suppose I was worried if it would tarnish, or look ''bad''after a few years. I am just not used to 9 k gold and the jewellery shop cant make it for me in 18 k as it isnt one of his own pieces.
D2B
just need to get one of those sunshine cloths and give it a polish now and then. yellow gold looks nice when freshly polished.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Because it is more composed of alloy than higher ktw gold, it is actually harder than the higher ktw gold and fairly sturdy. I have not had any of my 10kt gold pieces tarnish.

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
9k is similar to gold teeth. low karat white gold will tarnish becasue of the high silver content, yellow should be fine and will wear like iron.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results