shape
carat
color
clarity

~80-1.00tcw bezel earrings BGD... what colour?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cartea01

Rough_Rock
Hello experts :)

Where to start... Well at the end of 2010 after 7 years of study I''ll be completing my medical degree and becoming a doctor. As a graduation gift to myself I''ve **almost** decided that I''d like a pair of BGD bezel studs around 80-1.00 tcw. I''m located in Australia so I''m planning to order/purchase in advance so that I have them by November.

What I''d like to know, is for the size diamonds I''m looking at (40-50 points each stud), what colour can I afford to go down to before I''ll start seeing warmth? My engagement ring is a princess cut 42pt, excellent cut, E colour, centre stone surrounded by 10 x 5pt G-H princess cut melee and I can''t see any difference between the G-H melee and the E centre stone.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!!

I think studs are a fabulous way to celebrate
9.gif
and you''ve chosen a great size range - clearly visible, big enough to make a statement, but small enough for everyday wear.

How far down the colour scale you can go really depends on your particular tolerance. I''m guessing since you have an E centre you might be more sensitive than others (the melee are small - smaller stones of any given colour tend to look proportionately whiter) but the only way to find out for sure is to go look around. Good excuse to try on lots of pretties
11.gif

I have J studs and I love them - 0.43ct each, I do see the tint but in my ears I don''t mind,.

cartea01

Rough_Rock
I do love the crisp white of my "E" engagement stone but I didn''t pick my ring :) My husband did. So I''ve not really had the chance to see the difference in colour of properly appraised stones... I''ve only see the yellow of poorly cut mall stones and I know I can see the warmth in them and its not my preference.
28.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I''m looking at BGD bezel leverbacks or studs right now too (but a little smaller than yours
2.gif
I''m looking in the H-I-J range, and would think about going to K. if they are bezel studs, for the leverbacks since the sides of the diamond is exposed I''m still thinking about K for that...

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
I would stick with lower color for earrings. J-K range in a bezel will look great! Also more bang for your buck!

I have 30 point J''s from them in bezel and would not hesitate to go to K''s.

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
Cartea, congratulations! Those earrings are gonna be gorgeous. You and I are in very similar situations with the exception of the doctor part.
9.gif
My e-ring is an E princess cut that I also didn''t pick out. I recently gifted myself with a K from Brian for a pendant partly cuz I just wanted it, but also as a mini-experiment. I''d been seeing all these lovely J,K, L stones on PS and wanted to know how I felt about them.

I definitely see the warmth in my stone and have no problem with it for a pendant. (It''s also set in rose gold, which may affect the perceived color). I think if you don''t want to *see* any warmth then stick with H or possibly I at the lowest. And come back with ear shots!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you''re color sensitive and warmth bothers you, possibly stick with H color. My pendant is an E and my earrings are F and both are VERY colorless. I can see the difference between them and my G eng. ring. Even so, I''d be fine going down to an H/I if I could go a bit bigger. I thought with all the stones, I wanted them as crisp as possible, but if/when I upgrade my pendant, I won''t be as picky.

Really it depends upon your preference.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Colour is so subjective. I would go into some high end stores and look at their GIA certified stones to see how you like the warmth or lack of in the G, H, I range.
My ACA earings are G, that is my sweetspot for modern cut diamonds. I could have gone to a H, mu didnt want to start seeing colour just because I was looking for it iykim.

If you dont love the lower colours no matter how well cut the stone is, it will still bug you, so have a look at some examples to see what you like. I am an aussie as well and once you start looking it is amazing what you find.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would say H.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations and what a great way to celebrate. I would go with G or H.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an F center for my engagement ring and have seen my center next to J''s from BGD and I was fine. Just to be safe though... I''d stick to I color.

cartea01

Rough_Rock
Just an update/another question regarding BGD bezel studs.

I bought a pair of "fake" bezeled studs to try on for size. The stones measure just under 5.0mm which I figure matches the .40-.50 stones I was considering for studs. I think I like the size of the studs on my ears although I''m used to wearing much smaller stones (think of the little gem stone studs you where when you first get your ears pierced...)

What do you guys think for size? Sorry for the bad pic. My digital camera is flat so had to use my computer''s built in camera.

BGD0102786.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the size is perfect on you! It seems like people are going a lot lower on colors for earrings like I, J, and
even Ks. However, I do think you will see some color in those. Maybe not so much when they are on your
ears but when you are looking at them.

Here are Maisie''s new k''s. They look beautiful! Link to her thread
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-brian-gavin-diamond-studs.134139/

maisiebgdstuds3.jpg

cartea01

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 8:36:20 AM
Author: cartea01
Just an update/another question regarding BGD bezel studs.

I bought a pair of ''fake'' bezeled studs to try on for size. The stones measure just under 5.0mm which I figure matches the .40-.50 stones I was considering for studs. I think I like the size of the studs on my ears although I''m used to wearing much smaller stones (think of the little gem stone studs you where when you first get your ears pierced...)

What do you guys think for size? Sorry for the bad pic. My digital camera is flat so had to use my computer''s built in camera.

Yes its funny how everyone''s ear lobes are different and suit different size studs... I''ve been looking through Show me the Ring threads and there''s such a variety! Before buying my fakies I though that 0.5ct stones were going to be smallish but an OK size for everyday. Now that I have them on, I am amazed how big 0.5ct size stones look on my ears! I can''t imagine going up in size... but those seem to be famous last words on PS hey?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I color, at most.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That size looks great on you.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The size looks very nice on you. I personally would stick to an I colour or higher. Can you see any in person to find out what colour looks good to you?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Carte, I actually think that size looks great on you. Large enough to be impressive, but small enough to wear every day without looking obnoxious, if you know what I mean.
31.gif
Those really look like the perfect proportions for your lobes.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2010 1:12:49 PM
Author: Hest88
Carte, I actually think that size looks great on you. Large enough to be impressive, but small enough to wear every day without looking obnoxious, if you know what I mean.
31.gif
Those really look like the perfect proportions for your lobes.
Yes, I was thinking exactly this!

I said H color earlier but would go as low an I upon reflection.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
if you want the crisp white I think you can really safely go to I.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi cartea :)

i'm not an expert, but i do have a pair of ideal cut 1.44 cttw G SI1 bezel set stones. in a bezel, i think you could safely go to an I - but having said that...

when i bought mine, i wanted a really high quality pair - and i'd had earrings of lower colors (H, I, J) - and i could see the color. it annoyed me that they werent all i had hoped they'd be, so when i got my studs i thought i'd make extra sure they were exactly what i wanted, and got the ideal cut G SI's. i LOVE them and i can definitely see the difference. since then, i've bought a smaller, casual pair that i often leave in day in-day out - .64 cttw, E VS2, ideal cut - and they're lovely - i have photos of me wearing them taken across a room where you can see them sparkle. so i'd say - whatever you do, stay with a great cut because you want that twinkle. and as for color - you *can* see a difference, but it's all about where you're comfortable. while i think most people are comfortable with an I (and i have a bezel set anniversary ring which has a .72ct I center stone) i love the more colorless look of a G and wouldn't go back to anything lower.

and i think the size looks fabulous on you. :)

congratulations on completing your course - well done! i have 2 nephews who are dr's - one went through adelaide and one went through sydney and finished end 2008 and is now the registrar at wollongong uni. i hope you have much success in your new career.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results