shape
carat
color
clarity

8* - is this true?? and a GIA vs AGS question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lucy

Rough_Rock
hi
in my never ending search for the perfect setting -I''m so picky-i went to a place that sold 8*s. the people were nice and let me have a peek at what one looked like under their firescope (?)and then let me look at my stone under the scope too. -which of course didnt look as good as the 8 but i dont know if i could tell the diff otherwise. anyway-is it true that the firescope is really something 8* people thought up to manipulate customers into thinking the 8''s were perfect and that if favors their diamonds over others in some way? so its kind of a hoax?
and also who is more stricter the GIA or the AGS? seems like when people were showing me THEIR diamonds they acted like the AGS has higher standards? i know they give more info but are they pickyer? thanks all-i am done with my diamond purchase, but its still fun to learn more!
9.gif

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
It is no hoax - Garry's little idealscope works on the same principle.

What gets continuously debated is whether Eightstar's interpretation of the ideal firescope image in fact results in ultimate diamond beauty, or if there is more than one path to diamond enlightenment
1.gif

So did you ask how much Eightstar would you have been able to purchase for the price of your (3 carat?) stone?
1.gif

Good question about GIA and AGS. From a consumer's standpoint I like the extra info the AGS provides but I don't see that as "strictness" in grading, except for having a (flawed) way of ranking one diamond ahead of or behind another. Because of this, the huge majority of stones with AGS reports are "ideals" (why would a cutter want a report that says his stone is less than the best?
1.gif
), whereas all sorts of makes get GIA reports. Maybe this is what you're confusing as "strictness"?

I've repeatedly heard comments that it's harder to get GIA ex/ex than it is an AGS ideal polish and symmetry grade; a few folks I've spoken with have had the feeling that AGS is ever so slightly stricter in grading clarity. But something tells me that the difference, if any, isn't really measurable
1.gif

I'm curious what the appraisers say? They see enough of both types of reports that they should have a good feeling for which lab, if any, they agree or disagree with more often.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well said Elmo.
The only thing I would add is that if you look at a 8* through an Expert ideal-scope with the diffuser dome (that supplies light evenly to the pavilion from all directions) you will see some partial leakage that is eliminated by the design of the Firescope.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/5/2003 9:53
6.gif
6 PM lucy wrote:
is it true that the firescope is really something 8* people thought up to manipulate customers into thinking the 8's were perfect and that if favors their diamonds over others in some way? so its kind of a hoax?

----------------

No--the Firescope preceded the 8* by a number of years. It was invented in Japan as a means of evaluating diamond symmetry, and the inventor rapidly discovered how few diamonds were truly symmetrical. The 8* was developed in order to produce a diamond that looked the best under the Firescope. Whether it's the best overall is a matter of furious dispute right now. You won't get me involved that debate, though.

9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results