shape
carat
color
clarity

Five stone band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of you may remember that I''ve been searching for five well matched stones for my five stone shared prong anniversary band. (My tenth wedding anniversary will be May 6th) Last November I bought three, and today (yea!!!!!) I found it''s sisters four and five. All are GIA certed, G color, SI1 clarity, Ideal cuts. All have a 57% table with no culet and no flourescence. Four are Ex/Ex, one is a Vg/Ex but I think I''ll live. Four stones are .30 pts., one stone is .31pts. She had to be different..... :)

These are the specs:

4.33 x 4.36 x 2.65
4.33 x 4.36 x 2.64
4.34 x 4.36 x 2.62
4.33 x 4.36 x 2.62
4.32 x 4.37 x 2.67

I''m not going to set these now for two reasons. The first being, my seven stone .15pt. ea. G/H color, VS2/SI1 clarity shared prong band will be ready for pick up next week and I still have a teeny tiny balance left on that AND the price of platinum is fast approaching $1900 a troy ounce and I''m not so anxious to pay the current prices for a platinum mounting. I''m really hoping that the metals'' market becomes more reasonable in the near future. (We can only hope.....)

Question, and I know I''ve asked this before, so please forgive me. Has anyone come across anything truly unique as far as mountings for five stone band rings? My jeweler special ordered me a traditional seven stone mounting with smooth sides on the ends. No prongs on the ends, no pinching between my fingers. So I''ll have that tailored looking one. Has anyone found a vintage looking mounting for a five stone band?? I really wish I could find something very different.

How about palladium? Has anyone found palladium mountings for five stoners? I could have these mounted sooner if I can find a less expensive alternative and I really don''t want 14K or 18K.

Mchllmarsh

Shiny_Rock
Here is my moms 25th wedding anniversary band. She loves it!

My Ring 0431.jpg

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
holy SMOKES!!!

That ring is GAW-JUSS!!!!!!
30.gif

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
Those stones are quintuplets! (I was going to say twins....
41.gif
)

Okay, so Fay Cullen''s is three stone but this is an interesting design-very elegant I think:

http://www.faycullen.com/vintage_diamond_rings/800/e514r9d.html

This is really pretty too

http://www.faycullen.com/vintage_diamond_rings/800/e514r2d.html

LOVE the milgraining on this one-:

http://www.faycullen.com/rings/800/e1031r1d.html

Obviously all ready made but some inspiration for your own design!

This one has a bit more presence:

http://www.faycullen.com/rings/800/e1105r4d.html

Hope something there is inspirational!
35.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, your Mom''s ring is very pretty Mchllmarsh.

Gemma12, thank you VERY much for the inspiration. One of those Fay Cullen''s rings looks similiar to an upgrade wedding set that someone posted around Christmas time. I wish I could remember who owned those rings! but one of those links had a three stone wedding band in it similar in idea to one of our PSer''s upgrade. Her upgrade was a white metal engraved vintage style. Now I''m wondering if that same vendor could do a five stone of that three stone wedding band. I hope that lucky lady reads this post and chimes in so she can tell me who made her rings. I''ll also start going through old threads to try to find it.

Thanks Gemma! You''re a doll!

P.S. I''m a pain when it comes to matching stones. That''s why I like doing it myself. They are quints! but patience pays of!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found them! This is the link to WTNLVR''s upgrade:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/christmas-upgrade-pics.75295/
Her wedding band is a five stone! For some reason my brain remembered three stones. I wonder where Long''s Jewelry store is? Her entire set is just breathtaking!

I''m sorry I can''t copy and paste pictures in this forum. I can''t even post my own pics. I can''t get it to work.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gemma, I really have to work on this picture posting problem I have but before that, I''ll probably have to buy a new digital camera. My husband and I both own fairly new HP digitals, and I can''t take a clear clean photo of any of my jewelry with either camera. It''s very frustrating!! I want to post pictures of my treasures and can''t!

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
Does your camera have a macro button? I''m no expert but that totally changed the pics I was getting. On my canon, it''s a little image of a flower.

I''m not sure if this is the right jeweler but there is a Long''s in Boston:

Long''s
100 Summer Street
Boston, MA,
Phone: 617-426-8500 Fax:
Category: Jewelry - Stores, Jewelers
Website: http://www.longsjewelers.com/locations/boston.asp?page=location&flgND=nd
Description:
The privately owned jewelry retailer has been awarded to the prestigious American Gem Society, which is appointed to few jewelers in America. It is given only after strict examination of a company''s gemological proficiency and proof of unquestionable business ethics and practices. Long''s Jewelers has seven locations including our newest crown jewel located in the heart of Boston''s Financial District.
Store Hours:
Mon - Fri: 9:30am -6:00pm
Sat: 10:00am - 5:00pm
Sunday: Closed
[Map]
From http://www.bostoncitylinks.com/stores.html

I hope you figure out the pics thing as I''m sure you have some beautiful pieces-that is a lovely marquise in your avatar, for example!
18.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not too sure on settings, but I wanted to say congrats on finding the sisters, yay for family!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I too am looking to set five stones into a vintage repro setting and not having much luck finding anything stock. My stones are all antique cuts, which don''t match quite as well in size as yours do. But I though I''d share the two options I''ve found (Stuller) that would take stones of these sizes. I hope others chime in too!

possiblestuller5stoneoptions.JPG

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable, I think there''s definitely something missing as far as choices go, in the mountings catalogues. Jewelers everywhere are making rings in vintage styles and antique repro styles, but the mountings catalogues are sorely lacking. I went through the three most popular catalogues- Stuller, Ingwer and Ptak and didn''t find anything that was just right for me. I do have one requirement too. Although the band will be shared prongs, I don''t want prongs on the ends, since the between the finger "pinch" gets on my nerves. That first example you posted, is how my seven stone ring is being made. Shared prongs all the way through except on the ends where the side of the shank is the last "prong" so to speak. The side of the shank comes right up to the outside of the last stone. It''s very smooth and extremely comfortable because there''s nothing at all to pinch. I suggest you try both types on so you can feel the drastic difference in comfort.

Another way that I want my five stone to be different from my seven stone is I want an air line on my five stone mounting. Most shared prong bands in jewelers cases have solid sides to the castings and that''s OK for my seven, it looks very tailored and clean, but I want my five to be different. I want the light to be able to get into those beautiful stones from all sides.

Gemma, thank you so much for doing some research for me. I''ve read good things about Long''s too. When I''m ready, I''ll probably take a ride up to Boston with my stones (after speaking to them first so they''ll know what I''m looking for and they''ll know I''m coming from a good distance away). I''m just in love with WTNLVR''s wedding set! I think it will be worth the trip.

I''ve tried the macro setting on both of our cameras. I still can''t take close-ups with any degree of clarity. The pictures come out looking like fuzzy blobs! I''m going to give HP customer service a call to see if they can help ''ole technologically challenged me :-/.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results