clarity

60% of Ikea purchases are NOT why you went there

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the Ikeas I have visited have a short cut, allowing one to bypass most of the displays to go straight to the restaurant etc...

That's what I do, go straight to the restaurant for some food, then the Market Place.

I seldom go to Ikea as the nearest one is an hour's drive away which is a bit too long just for some meatballs when I can make them at home! :lol-2:

DK :))

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We went a couple of weeks ago, and got 100% of what we actually went for (trays and bathrobes) :mrgreen:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I usually stick to my list....with an occasional ice cream cone on my way out :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My Swedish friend has adult kids living all over the world
When they get homesick they go and eat the meatballs

Ive never seen an ikea
They leave NZ off a world map they sell :angryfire:
I beleave they are coming to NZ but they won't be anywhere near us

flat pack leaves me a bit cold to be honest

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love me an IKEA trip.
I load up that trolley woo hoo.
I like their paper napkins, their candles and plants. Cheapest live plants around. Especially their orchids.
And I love a flat pack assembly.
78282CD4-A433-4CA3-B45D-CF0AD5DA448E.jpeg

Attachments

• 2B906C1F-C766-4D14-8FD2-7880FB24FDD8.jpeg
    2B906C1F-C766-4D14-8FD2-7880FB24FDD8.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 5EA3CA8C-7059-459B-AD36-4118BC61DF64.jpeg
    5EA3CA8C-7059-459B-AD36-4118BC61DF64.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 25

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I went there with my brother and as we were walking through I remember him, not getting anything, but wanting so much of what was there. I didn't desire a thing. It's funny how sibs can be so different. Not that I didn't enjoy my wander through the store especially with his enthusiasm. We went off somewhere else for lunch.

But isn't the whole goal of Ikea to be a one stop shop for all your household requirements. A "don't bother going anywhere else, we'll look after you" approach. The reverse of what as consumers we should be doing.

We do have a friend who is brilliant at getting their bargains. The disposed of cupboard pieces, doors, nuts and bolts. He really does get rock bottom bargains that he puts to good use.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As flat packs go, theirs are some of the best I’ve had. Everything lined up, all the screws and bolts were there, and they were easy to put together.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love IKEA yet have never eaten at the restaurant there. Maybe one day.
As for impulse buying I am guilty. But when we go (and it's been years since before the pandemic) we have a list and get what we need and then maybe make one or two impulse buys. But they are always purchases I need. Well, almost always. 8)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thankful that I do not have an IKEA store nearby. :appl: I don't usually impulse buy but sounds like I could come up with
reasons(excuses) to buy quite a bit there.:oops2:

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Where I live IKEA is used for extended family days out on weekends. People go with their 7 kids, cousins, older parents and friends, block the aisles bickering amiably and munching meatballs for lunch. I only go during the week!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Where I live IKEA is used for extended family days out on weekends. People go with their 7 kids, cousins, older parents and friends, block the aisles bickering amiably and munching meatballs for lunch. I only go during the week!

I remember IKEA used to have a childcare (ball pit) area where parents could just drop off their kids and shop to their hearts content. I don’t know if they still have that since my kids are all grown….but I remember IKEA workers saying that they have seen parents drop off their kids for free childcare, and actually leave and go elsewhere for a whole day! Probably get lunch, catch a movie etc….

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember IKEA used to have a childcare (ball pit) area where parents could just drop off their kids and shop to their hearts content. I don’t know if they still have that since my kids are all grown….but I remember IKEA workers saying that they have seen parents drop off their kids for free childcare, and actually leave and go elsewhere for a whole day! Probably get lunch, catch a movie etc….

There is still a huge play zone / ball pit area at the one near to us (which was the UK flagship store). It has been closed the last two years, but I believe it's open again now.

Imagine dropping your children off & GOING ELSEWHERE FOR THE DAY??!! :-o

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
The kids zone is limited to an hour at the one near me. They take your phone number and hound you until you come back and get them LOL!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go in just to buy a light bulb, as long as I could go & eat meatballs & gravy in the cafe on the way through :lol-2:

I legitimately go in there just for lunch and a slice of whatever cake they're serving

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm surprised more of the large stores don't have some kind of restaurant, like IKEA.

Back in my day (when a slice of pie was 15 cents) the major department stores all had a place to eat before going back and buying more stuff.
Even dime stores had what they called a "counter".

5.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
There is still a huge play zone / ball pit area at the one near to us (which was the UK flagship store). It has been closed the last two years, but I believe it's open again now.

Imagine dropping your children off & GOING ELSEWHERE FOR THE DAY??!! :-o

Oh I know. I never understood people who could just plop their kids down anywhere. Yikes!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...generally because they are either out of stock or because you gave up in the pre-checkout warehouse. This was our COVID-era experience helping a kid move into his new apartment.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sounds like the ideal enviroment for a super spreader even

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm surprised more of the large stores don't have some kind of restaurant, like IKEA.

Back in my day (when a slice of pie was 15 cents) the major department stores all had a place to eat before going back and buying more stuff.
Even dime stores had what they called a "counter".

5.jpg

The big dept stores had tea rooms in them when i was a kid
(before we had MacDonalds etc)

They had mother's rooms where she could nurse and change the baby and heat up milk and have a sit down and a rest
remember when there used to be a big comfy chair up by the counter in every dept?

anyway i miss those little triangle sandwiches in the cabinet under the doilie
And the juice fountain up by the cash register and we drank out of a glass not a can or a bottle
And the cakes
a million different kind of cream cakes not a muffin or a doughnut in sight

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got hold of two more IKEA bookcases! I need two 79" tall standard width plus one or two narrow. Managed to get hold of two narrow for pickup but missed out on the standard width. At least I know better than to rush down and hope they have some in store. Last time, I got there to find no bookcases. Did have more of the shelves I needed plus two small tables and two step down cube things for DH's office. Not what I was after, but was helpful as it addressed a couple of spots I had been trying to figure out what to do about.

I know how to skip the whole store and get to the warehouse part or just get what I want so no need to wander through unless I want. When I do wander through, it is because I want something to do this or that but am not quite sure what a good option would be. Then I just sort of wander until I see something that looks right.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results