shape
carat
color
clarity

6 Safe-guarding Tips for Traveling with Jewelry

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you Jessica for the informative article.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
A tip for the ladies, the pocket that a lot of bras come with is a useful hiding place for both money and jewelry. If you have larger pockets even your passport can go in there.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
natascha|1299354053|2865541 said:
A tip for the ladies, the pocket that a lot of bras come with is a useful hiding place for both money and jewelry. If you have larger pockets even your passport can go in there.

Ha! That's kind of a genius suggestion ....

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Important information...Thanks Jessica.

A reminder when at home: Always put your rings/jewelry in the same spot if you are taking off
before bed or to clean, etc. This becomes a habit, much like putting keys in the same spot.
Just not on a window sill above a sink!

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Another thing to consider is do you even need your jewelry if you're going on vacation? Think about it, if you're traveling to somewhere like Mexico where a "good" monthly salary is about $300.00 U.S.D. do you really need to be flaunting your jewelry? It's just asking to be robbed and maybe even kidnapped if you look wealthy enough.

I can't tell you how many insurance claims we've helped process for clients who have lost their engagement ring or wedding band while playing in the surf, swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, etc... water is a lubricant and cool water makes rings fall off! If you must wear your jewelry while on vacation, put your jewelry in the hotel safe while participating in water sports and other activities where it is likely to be lost, damaged, or perhaps even get caught on something and cause injury.

OCmom3xboys

Shiny_Rock
Todd Gray|1301537871|2883933 said:
Another thing to consider is do you even need your jewelry if you're going on vacation? Think about it, if you're traveling to somewhere like Mexico where a "good" monthly salary is about $300.00 U.S.D. do you really need to be flaunting your jewelry? It's just asking to be robbed and maybe even kidnapped if you look wealthy enough.

I can't tell you how many insurance claims we've helped process for clients who have lost their engagement ring or wedding band while playing in the surf, swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, etc... water is a lubricant and cool water makes rings fall off! If you must wear your jewelry while on vacation, put your jewelry in the hotel safe while participating in water sports and other activities where it is likely to be lost, damaged, or perhaps even get caught on something and cause injury.

I agree...this was in the early 80s but my husband and a couple of his friends were in Cabo San Lucas, they needed help getting to the hospital (his friend got hooked on the face while fishing), the driver demanded cash on hand and all jewelries before taking them to the hospital.

I just bought a plain white gold band for vacations :)

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OCmom3xboys|1301971617|2888012 said:

I agree...this was in the early 80s but my husband and a couple of his friends were in Cabo San Lucas, they needed help getting to the hospital (his friend got hooked on the face while fishing), the driver demanded cash on hand and all jewelries before taking them to the hospital.

I just bought a plain white gold band for vacations :)

Okay, I'm not sure which is scarier, being held up by a taxi cab driver - or - having to go to the hospital in Cabo... My late wife Robin and I were married in Cabo and we had to go to the hospital to get our blood drawn for the marriage license and I recall thinking "I really hope I don't get AIDS from this..." because the whole Phlebotomy set up was, uh, let's say, less than desirable.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for sharing the tips. The bra one is ingenious :) my husband's philosophy - don't bring any you can't afford to loose.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yes, also wearing "fun" jewelry can look real to other people and can result in similar problems, so just possibly another reason to remain low-key during a vacation.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great tips and ideas here. I replace any 'decent' jewellry w CZ knockoffs if I'm heading to an island destination. I am not taking a holiday to impress the local's or the other guests at the hotel. I'd rather be safe and remove temptation by having my own items at home. When we've travelled to Cuba, I often give my cz knockoffs to the hotel staff at the end!

In this age of disparity between cultures and incomes, best not to flaunt anything - IMHO.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results