shape
carat
color
clarity

6 or 8 prong solitaire setting?

veble

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a 1.5ct RBC diamond and I'm looking for a setting.

My gf sorta likes this one:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-modern-tulip-diamond-engagement-ring-item-51014

She likes the claw prongs and petal like basket but dislikes the cathedral shank. Plain shank and attached via a donut so it sits lower would be better.

There's the CvB Dahlia which seems to fit the bill but I'm wondering if 8 prongs is too much. Seems like it breaks up the round shape of the diamond and thus overwhelms the stone.

So, I'm looking for a 6 ( maybe 8 ) prong design that has a flower like basket. She wants a plain band and no melees but maybe some hand engraving or some milgrain would be okay. It will be paired with a diamond eternity band, maybe french or princess cut. If anyone has a 6 or 8 prong design that meets my criteria could you please post pics? Or if anyone has ideas or sketches for a custom design I'd be interested in seeing them. I could even pay for design insight if that's allowed here.

I have contacted some jewelers but most aren't interested in creating me a custom design with the above features. Well, one person did but it was $3500 and they wanted a $500 deposit. :(

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
I believe David Klass has made a ring similar to the CvB Dahlia but with 6 prongs. Should be on his fb page.

I do think 8 prongs might be a bit much. From a top down view it'll make he round look like an octagon. Seems to work better with stones over 2ct and probably pushing the 2.5 or 3ct mark. A 6 prong design might be better as you want them to be somewhat thick and sturdy.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think for a 1.5 ct 6 prongs is better. I think you need to get a little bigger before 8 prongs really looks good.

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
6 prongs

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would definitely do six prongs!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for 6 prongs! :wavey:

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
6 prong I think 8 would be over doing the metal work on show

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
veble|1444248744|3935954 said:
I recently purchased a 1.5ct RBC diamond and I'm looking for a setting.

My gf sorta likes this one:
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-modern-tulip-diamond-engagement-ring-item-51014

She likes the claw prongs and petal like basket but dislikes the cathedral shank. Plain shank and attached via a donut so it sits lower would be better.

There's the CvB Dahlia which seems to fit the bill but I'm wondering if 8 prongs is too much. Seems like it breaks up the round shape of the diamond and thus overwhelms the stone.

So, I'm looking for a 6 ( maybe 8 ) prong design that has a flower like basket. She wants a plain band and no melees but maybe some hand engraving or some milgrain would be okay. It will be paired with a diamond eternity band, maybe french or princess cut. If anyone has a 6 or 8 prong design that meets my criteria could you please post pics? Or if anyone has ideas or sketches for a custom design I'd be interested in seeing them. I could even pay for design insight if that's allowed here.

I have contacted some jewelers but most aren't interested in creating me a custom design with the above features. Well, one person did but it was $3500 and they wanted a $500 deposit. :(

I love VR's idea of MM ::)

If you like CvB's designs but aren't sure about eight prongs do contact her to take about it - it's her design and she can certainly make suggestions and recommendations! The Dahlia is a beautiful piece :love:

Another vendor who makes flawless pieces with similar aesthetic (leaning more Old World) is Erika Winters - she does custom work as well. Her pieces are available through Jewels by Grace: http://www.erikawinters.com/index-mobile.html

If you decide on the Dahlia or some variant of it, or on another specialty designer's piece... I urge you to buy from that designer directly as opposed to having David Klass manufacture a copy. I have less than no patience for vendors stealing other vendors' designs - these small boutique establishments put time, money, and love into their creations, and they deserve the acknowledgement and profit ::)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm one who does not feel like 8 prongs on a 1.5 is too much as long as the prongs are done nicely (somewhat claw like and not
blobs).

veble

Rough_Rock
I had a feeling a 6 prong would be better. Less metal so it doesn't hide the pavilion and doesn't look so bulky. I want a flower looking basket but really can't find many examples. I was thinking of maybe a lotus flower inspired ring but again I don't see any examples. I need some sort of reference point to show designers right?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
On a 1.5 carat I'd do 6 prongs.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Veble, have you seen this design by Diamonds by Lauren? It's called the "uber flower" and it's IMO the most beautiful and refined example of the style of the JA you originally posted around. I've had the pleasure of seeing a couple of these rings in-person - the design would work very well with a stone of your size with either four or six petals, I think. The shifts from concave to convex curves up the petals adds dimension and David's hand-forging bench's workmanship is exquisite :love:

Here it is with a 1.35ct round (OEC):

http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-134ct-old-european-cut-u-v-natural-light-yellow-vs1-old-world-charm-r4048

r4048c-handmade-ring-diamond.jpg

veble

Rough_Rock
Thanks yssie for the link. I wish they showed the 6 prong version. I think I want something with fatter petals kinda like a lotus flower design.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Here's an 8 prong that's flowery. I'd have the tips of the prongs folded onto the crown so that they don't snag as much. Kinda like the prong tips of the Dahlia.

_34828.jpg

cl140-2.jpg

bqd251

Rough_Rock
I have some very rough CADs of some 6 and 8 prong designs that I probably won't use. I could post them if you're interested.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the CVB Dahlia is beautiful and I would definitely just ask Caysie to redesign it with 6 petals and prongs. It sounds like that fits your description best. You go through Love Affair Diamonds if you decide to have her do it. I do think 8 prongs is best on stones over 2 cts.

bqd251

Rough_Rock
Here's two 6 prong designs that I was working on. Prongs would fold over the crown much like the Dahlia setting. Millgrain can be removed but it's just to give you a rough idea of what they would look like. Any competent designer can adjust it accordingly. If you want the cad files just let me know.

Likewise if you have any ideas post some pics or try to explain it in detail and I'll see if I can mock it up. I might just use it for my design. :naughty:

petaldesign1.jpg

ring2design.jpg

daydreamergrl

Rough_Rock
bqd251|1444531541|3937138 said:
Here's two 6 prong designs that I was working on. Prongs would fold over the crown much like the Dahlia setting. Millgrain can be removed but it's just to give you a rough idea of what they would look like. Any competent designer can adjust it accordingly. If you want the cad files just let me know.

Likewise if you have any ideas post some pics or try to explain it in detail and I'll see if I can mock it up. I might just use it for my design. :naughty:

:knockout:

Contact Cassie and have a properly designed ring or you'll regret it. There's a ton of novices with ugly trashy designs. If you want something with class and elegance then you need to contact CvB.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
The first one looks like it might be a little thin. The second is nice but the prongs seem pretty tall. Maybe that was purposely done so the setter can fold them over? I think both have a lot of potential .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results