carat
color
clarity

5mm cabochon matched pairs

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello :wavey: !!

I'd like to assemble the skittles version of stud earrings :lickout: Could you suggest some reputable vendors i could check out for matched pairs, 5mm cabochon round cuts?

One site I'm looking at right now that also has an etsy shop is Joopy Gems - will they match cabs from their lots for you?

Thanks in advance!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You had me at Skittles! Sorry I don't know anything about that vendor, but love the idea of Skittle cab earrings. I might check in with Multicolour, Barry Bridgestock and Prima/the Etsy woman Yvonne? who sources Prima stones. Photos when you've done it though. :praise:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks minousbijoux!

Of course, I can't take all the credit - all that goes to Yennyfire with her inspirational collection of rainbow cabs!

I'm starting to think that I will have more luck if I don't limit myself to just cabs :???: . I'm perusing gem select as we speak. Barry (ACS) had some cab pairs that were larger, but too large for my project.

I've never heard of multicolour! Ugh... I've avoided this part of PS for years because I ended up amassing more CS than I knew what to do with from Dana (Mastercut Gems), Dan Stair, and Bob Kast!!! It's been fun researching CS again!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I have always loved the look of cab studs in just that size, I find them so appealing. Good luck in your search!!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I have bought a stack off eBay in the past. Worth a look. I don't know if the vendor I purchased from is still selling them. It was more than three years ago. But I got some garnets and chrome diopside cabs as well as some pink tourmalines and amethysts. All 5mm.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Check Stachura - they have a lot of cabs in that range and they will match for you.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you misskittycat and lady disdain!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea of having cab studs in a skittle variety of colors! Good luck and hope to see what you find.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I called stachura and the woman who answered was very nice! She explained that they do in fact do matched pairs, and you specify in the order that you want matched pairs. There's a nominal fee involved with matching pairs. She talked me through creating an account and making an online order.

The only thing I wasn't sure of is with ordering tourmalines. I specified green or blue-green, and to call to discuss further. I hope they do call! I'm open to either I just wanted a deeper green to be different from the pale green peridot, and am ok with either color - whatever they can match a pair of.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ordered:
amethyst cabs
“Seafoam” aquamarine cabochons
citrine cabochon
hessonite garnet cabochons
Red garnet cab
round pink rhodolite cab
peridot cab
sky blue topaz cab
sapphire round cabochons
tourmaline cabochons

Let me know if I missed any skittles colors :lol:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That sounds delicious! You must share pictures when they arrive.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's your orange skittle? :wink2:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain said:
That sounds delicious! You must share pictures when they arrive.
0 calories to boot!
minousbijoux said:
What's your orange skittle? :wink2:
Minousbijoux- I just let out an expletive that rhymes with duck. I thought the hessonite was orange...well that's how it looked on my chromebook screen! I pulled it up on the iPad and it looks more like an orangey red :(sad :confused: :confused:
So, um... That's my blood orange cab? :confused: :errrr:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, no! Time for some spess? Or a nice pair of fire opals.

0 calories? Maybe it is time I got a chocolate diamond for myself.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Orangey red qualifies! I was thinking that it would be more brownish as many hessonite garnets do.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a quick update. More to come. The package arrived today with a candy lololol!

_3930.jpeg

_3931.jpeg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They look positively juicy. Close up pictures, please?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1464830452|4039177 said:
They look positively juicy. Close up pictures, please?
Yes, Lady! Your wish is my command! I hope the label on each bag is clear in the photos. As you can see as you go through the pics, there is good reason for my not taking the cabs out of the bags! :lol: My baby girl is still very curious!

_3939.jpeg

_3940.jpeg

_3942.jpeg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Orange-red and orange-yellow skittles

_3943.jpeg

_3944.jpeg

_3945.jpeg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Light and dark greens

_3946.jpeg

_3947.jpeg

_3948.jpeg

_3949.jpeg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pale Blues

_3950.jpeg

_3953.jpeg

_3955.jpeg

_3954.jpeg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kittenus interruptus ...

_3956.jpeg

_3957.jpeg

_3958.jpeg

_3959.jpeg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue and purple

_3960.jpeg

_3961.jpeg

_3962.jpeg

_3963.jpeg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Comparing amethyst and pink and red garnets

_3964.jpeg

_3965.jpeg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, they really look to be beautiful Skittle-ish colors ... based on your photos, the Green Tourmaline, Rhodolite Garnet, Citrine and Amethyst pairs really jump out at me. But, what do you think?

In hand, are they well-matched in color and shape/proportions?

Are they what you hoped for, for your project?

And, if you don't mind me asking, what is your opinion of the Sapphire cabs in particular? I've been looking for a similar set for a while now and not so easy to find in a pleasing medium blue...

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your baby girl is sweet! Nico is also quite curious, which can be a handful. He particularly likes pearls and wire. Nope, not that nasty copper wire, the good gold and silver stuff only. I see your kitten favours sapphires.

The cabs look great. Set them all in the same piece and you will have real tutti frutti jewelry. No way can all fruits be represented only with sapphires, emeralds and rubies.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1464876447|4039331 said:
Wow, they really look to be beautiful Skittle-ish colors ... based on your photos, the Green Tourmaline, Rhodolite Garnet, Citrine and Amethyst pairs really jump out at me. But, what do you think?

In hand, are they well-matched in color and shape/proportions?

Are they what you hoped for, for your project?

And, if you don't mind me asking, what is your opinion of the Sapphire cabs in particular? I've been looking for a similar set for a while now and not so easy to find in a pleasing medium blue...
Hi marymm :wavey:
I think that since I wanted 5mm rounds, it's easier for them to be consistently calibrated in shape and proportion. They all look to be carbon copies of each other in shape, size, proportion.

As for color, they did a fantastic job matching in color and saturation. I was worried about the sapphires because they were the priciest pair, but when I spoke to Stachura on the phone, they reassured me that the most expensive blue sapphires - $45 (versus the $35) are evenly saturated and a medium blue, not blackish like a maul store sapphire.

As for whether or not they are what I hoped for, initially, they looked so dang small in their little bags! I have my 0.87 ctw bezel earrings on daily now, so I took one off, and held it against a cab-in-a-bag, and the cab at it's biggest point (flat bottom) is about the same, maybe even slightly bigger than the diamond + bezel, so I know now that they are big enough for my project.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1464877542|4039339 said:
Your baby girl is sweet! Nico is also quite curious, which can be a handful. He particularly likes pearls and wire. Nope, not that nasty copper wire, the good gold and silver stuff only. I see your kitten favours sapphires.

The cabs look great. Set them all in the same piece and you will have real tutti frutti jewelry. No way can all fruits be represented only with sapphires, emeralds and rubies.
Thank you Lady_Disdain! It is too cute that Nico has a taste for the good stuff :lol: :lol: :lol: You should take him to pawn shops and let him pick out the good finds!

As for my baby girl, I suspect she likes... plastic! She knocked a similar baggy with a button off my dresser earlier yesterday and played with it until it slid out of reach under the closet door. She then let out a frustrated gruff-growl. It was stinkin' adorable. Button, sapphire, it's all the same?!?! :confused: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a hot second there, I considered sticking the cabs on my face and telling my boss I can't work because I have skittles pox (like the commercial) BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol: :lol: :lol: :dance: :dance: :dance:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hola :wavey:!

I've set the sapphires. Any suggestions on which 4 I should tackle next?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results