shape
carat
color
clarity

5ct antique cushion halo... decision to make!

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
Hey y’all! It’s my anniversary on Monday, and it’s been a helluva last few months/year, so my amazing husband gave me the green light to move forward with the upgrade of my dreams.

I have this ring on loan for a few days while I decide if she’s a keeper. She’s a 5ct GIA K/VS2. I’m in love with the size, shape, dimensions, and faceting of the diamond. The color has me on the fence! I have a 2ct GIA J radiant e-ring now (see avatar), so I’m not averse to slightly lower colors, but I definitely a lot more body color in this stone than my old ring. And I can’t decide how I feel about that! In most lights it has a slight creaminess and very rainbow-y effect. My husband (who knows nothing of diamonds) says he can’t pick up any yellow tinge.

What say ye, PS?
10123F5A-151B-44B9-A512-F993EDBF8690.jpeg 89B9ACBC-45DC-4B6A-9F59-C6B3B464338D.jpeg 7E205A0F-CE61-405D-B209-2149D681E71A.jpeg FA754E18-0501-455B-9C06-C4D6828A7445.jpeg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that's what I call blingy bling! Certainly an impressive and easily noticed size. It does have more body color than your current ring but only you can decide if you're happy with it. If it shows too much tint for your taste, perhaps go down in size and stick with J.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I won’t lie and say I can’t see a tint, and I’m not particularly colour sensitive, so it all boils down to whether it bothers you enough to be a deal breaker.

Having said that, it does look great on you :D

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely see tint, and am usually color averse, but in your stone I actually find it rather divine. Something about the faceting makes it a very likeable attribute.

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
I definitely see tint, and am usually color averse, but in your stone I actually find it rather divine. Something about the faceting makes it a very likeable attribute.

I think that’s what’s getting me - usually I’m fairly sensitive to color but in this stone, the chunkiness of the facets and how it just glitters so many rainbow colors is making this decision a lot more complicated!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 5ct J AVC (see avatar). I knew instantaneously that I loved it when I saw it in person! Make sure you see the ring in all different lighting aspects/backgrounds before you make a final decision on the K color.

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
It's a stunning ring but personally I'm not keen on the colour of the centre stone The setting and shape is lovely on you You need to be totally happy because it's a big purchase

P

Petalouda

I love this ring. The colors look great in all the photos but I will say, in direct sunlight, the diamond seems a bit brown. But it could just be the way the sun is hitting the diamond at that angle. I wish I could see a video!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s got warmth. It’s beautiful and suits the stone. But YOU have to be ok with it.

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
I’m like 95% there - truly not even trying to convince myself - but it’s the 5% of me that’s like “I don’t want anyone to think I have an off-color diamond” - which I know probably sounds really silly because what does that matter, it’s MY ring after all.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m like 95% there - truly not even trying to convince myself - but it’s the 5% of me that’s like “I don’t want anyone to think I have an off-color diamond” - which I know probably sounds really silly because what does that matter, it’s MY ring after all.
I wouldn’t try to convince myself at this price point. And if it bothers you know, the feeling of having an off color diamond might always nag at you.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do see some warmth. I am pretty sure this is from JBG? I didn't see quite as much warmth on her site. I think if it bothers you now it always will be a little "nag" if you keep it. I would personally pass and go smaller and up to a J or I. This big of a ring will get a lot of attention and is more prone to showing the color because of it's size. Good luck!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t try to convince myself at this price point. And if it bothers you know, the feeling of having an off color diamond might always nag at you.
I have to agree - for a significant upgrade like this, you shouldn’t be trying to convince yourself. I think it’s beautiful but the colour is noticeable.
I would ask though - are you worried what others think or does the colour bug you in itself?
The size alone may attract attention (not necessarily good given how snide jealous people can be) so if you are worried about comments, the colour may not be the only reason for it.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about radiant cuts, nor have I seen one IRL. So take this with a grain of salt....I wonder if the color is more concentrated due to the radiant cut?? I’m thinking just like a pear, the color shows more towards the point of the pear where the facets are smaller. Could that same circumstance apply here? IE, could the color more apparent due to the type of cut??

Regardless, if I had an upgrade opportunity like this, given your hesitation, I’d keep looking to either confirm my selection or to rule it out.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the ring and the stone. Would you be able to find a stone like it in a slightly higher color? That is not always easy. Is it in line with what you wanted to spend, or would you have to go down in size a little to be able to go up in color? I would keep the size for the color if it is not your one and only diamond ring. Some people are "one ring to rule them all people" and others like to have a few. To me, the ring looks gorgeous but if it will be 'the one ring to rule them all' then I would go up in color and wait till I find the perfect upgrade stone.

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
I really love this ring and feel that the warmer color is part of the allure of its antique charm. I would happily stare at it all day long. However, tint is not for everyone and it probably won’t be less noticeable to you over time.

Good luck with your decision and happy anniversary!!!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely notice the color, it looks intentional as long as you can embrace it. The setting and the whole look is gorgeous, so if you're loving it, keep it and just ignore what others may assume!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see the color. It definitely looks champagne color to me. I’m not saying that in a negative way, just that it’s defnitely a champagne colored diamond. But I think you need to decide for yourself whether you like the warmth or not. If yes, go for it. If no, don’t try to convince yourself you do, or you’ll always regret it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see the color but I would take it in a heartbeat! It’s spectacular!

Q

Queenie60

I like warmer stones when they're old cuts. Don't mind warmer stones however, you need to feel good about it. If you're on the fence right now, you may never adjust to the tint. In that case, I would pass.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the stone I personally would take it out of that halo which is obviously whiter than the centre because that is making the centre look more tinted than it probably is and either redo it with a matching halo or set it in something else. Some people however will like the contrast it's a very personal thing.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, that is stunning. I'd keep it personally, but I think lower color antique diamonds are dreamy.

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your honest feedback. I decided to keep her! The creaminess of the stone grew on me and I’m in love with it in every way.

104FB0DC-F50F-4808-9E9F-8F34C937EB90.jpeg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woo! Please post a million more pics!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results