shape
carat
color
clarity

4th time playing firefighter at our building.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Same song 4th dance.

Someone pounding on the door saying there was a fire out back.
Switch over to my portable oxygen tank, grab my fire extinguisher and Wifey and I are off to fight another fire.
Careless smoking set a plastic pot on fire and the plastic mat under the AC was on fire as well as the grass. It was headed towards a gas grill and the building
Wifey called the fire department while I blasted the fire out. Alls well.
Fire department rolls everything because its an apartment building.
1st truck calls off the alarm and they just look at it and take a report.

Its the 5th fire that someone pounded on our door but the other was a dumpster fire, to big for me so I just called 911.
Just last month there was an arson fire the other end of the building on someones porch but we didn't get notified until that one was out.
This year is starting out hot in more ways than one.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kudos Karl.
You're the best neighbor.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
OMG I’m glad you and your wife are safe. Wait a minute @Karl_K. Did you do this while using your portable oxygen???
yes I did, I stood far enough back it was safe enough.
I think when I can I'm getting a bigger extinguisher with more range in case there is a next time to replace the one I used up.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think we should all buy you one. Admin, is there a way to do this?
Karl, you are larger than life.
aw thats sweet.
I told the management company they should replace it but im not holding my breath that they will.
I grew up learning that in an emergency you do what you can.
Its just what people did.
It makes me so mad these days that pull out your phone and record seems to be the default for so many people.

Last edited:

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
yes I did, I stood far enough back it was safe enough.
I think when I can I'm getting a bigger extinguisher with more range in case there is a next time to replace the one I used up.

Er… please be careful. My father in law blew himself up because he insisted on smoking next to his oxygen tank - despite repeated medical advice to not do this. He literally incinerated himself and the entire house. Hate to say it but it was throughly deserved because he was an awful, awful human being and his blood alcohol content no doubt exacerbated his incineration.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Karl_K, Your poor wife had to be scared to death watching you do this. I too believe you help people when you see them needing help but this is really dangerous for you if you are using oxygen. We just all want you to be alive for a long, long time.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K, Your poor wife had to be scared to death watching you do this. I too believe you help people when you see them needing help but this is really dangerous for you if you are using oxygen. We just all want you to be alive for a long, long time.
She says she was upset afterwards when it hit her that I was around a fire with o2.
It is why I use a fire extinguisher rather than a pail of water, much greater range.
I am aware of it and stay safe.
I do not recommend anyone else do it.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
@Karl_K Please tell me you guys have good condo/renters/property insurance (whatever applies to your specific circumstances). Your neighbors don't sound very neighborly, and you need to prioritize your safety, both physical and financial. Having personally been through a fire in my apartment, I can tell you it's horribly expensive to try to rebuild your life. And I'm very lucky that I had good renter's insurance.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your neighbors are lucky to have you @Karl_K! Thank goodness you got the fire out without any damage to the property or yourself!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K Please tell me you guys have good condo/renters/property insurance (whatever applies to your specific circumstances). Your neighbors don't sound very neighborly, and you need to prioritize your safety, both physical and financial. Having personally been through a fire in my apartment, I can tell you it's horribly expensive to try to rebuild your life. And I'm very lucky that I had good renter's insurance.

That is something I need to do again.
Dropped it a few years back to save money.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
aw thats sweet.
I told the management company they should replace it but im not holding my breath that they will.
I grew up learning that in an emergency you do what you can.
Its just what people did.
It makes me so mad these days that pull out your phone and record seems to be the default for so many people.

are they not checked annually or twice yearly by an inderpandent outside contractor (by law) ? including recomendations for a larger size ?

Karl im so glad you were ok, i was holding my breath reading your OP

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
are they not checked annually or twice yearly by an inderpandent outside contractor (by law) ? including recomendations for a larger size ?

Karl im so glad you were ok, i was holding my breath reading your OP
There are no building ones for this design building.
Everyone has their own entrance and there is no common inside area.
Tenants per the lease are supposed to have one but hardly anyone does.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are no building ones for this design building.
Everyone has their own entrance and there is no common inside area.
Tenants per the lease are supposed to have one but hardly anyone does.

i hope your neighbours appreate you Karl

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

+ a billion

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

dangerous for the blood pressure of @Karl_K 's friends reading this thread
Poor Wifey (as Karl affectionatly calls her)

i remember once at our old place an empty house two up from ours down a driveway was well alite, but the neighbour had a unit down there with an occupant and Gary dissapired into the night up the driveway to check while flames popped in the night sky, the fire brigade was yet to arrive
i held my breath till he reappaired after assatainied that thankfully no one was home

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
dangerous for the blood pressure of @Karl_K 's friends reading this thread
Poor Wifey (as Karl affectionatly calls her)

i remember once at our old place an empty house two up from ours down a driveway was well alite, but the neighbour had a unit down there with an occupant and Gary dissapired into the night up the driveway to check while flames popped in the night sky, the fire brigade was yet to arrive
i held my breath till he reappaired after assatainied that thankfully no one was home

I'm sorry didn't mean to raise anyone's blood pressure, just wanted to share something interesting that happened.
Glad Gary was ok and no one was home.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry didn't mean to raise anyone's blood pressure, just wanted to share something interesting that happened.
Glad Gary was ok and no one was home.
all good Karl ;)2
but when reading it i remembered you use an oxygen tank

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're a good person Karl. You see danger and react which is an admirable quality. Can you pressure the building management to enforce the fire extinguisher rule? Maybe get the fire marshal to do it for you and the other tenants?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You're a good person Karl. You see danger and react which is an admirable quality. Can you pressure the building management to enforce the fire extinguisher rule? Maybe get the fire marshal to do it for you and the other tenants?

Sadly getting the new management company to do anything is like pulling teeth.
The most the fire marshal might do is remind them to send tenants a notice to buy an extinguisher.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results