shape
carat
color
clarity

4ct Asscher - interesting...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it entirely obstruction/leakage head-on?

I'd say so ...

I am wondering if the ASET will underestimate this case of obstruction - showing some of the black in the front-view from the video, in red [impolitely guessing that the obstructing camera is further away from the diamonds than the ASET asumes for its range of obstruction]

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats a shame...you would think with 4 carats that they would try to cut it a little nicer. Maybe because its got inclusions they went with a not so great cutter?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what happens when you go for size over cut-- in an asscher (though they don't call it an asscher on the GIA report) it shows more than in other cuts...

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
obstruction, would show a ton of blue.
Thanks Karl :)

I'm slightly confused in my head as to whether that would mean the black facets would act as basically just a mirror for everything directly in front of them when held further away from ones head??

Is the blue in the ASET basically light from perpendicular to the table (so perhaps 85 to 90 degrees from the horizontal table), whereas red is, say, 85 to 45 degrees from horizontal?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
blue is 75 to 90, red 45-75 green 0 to 45

Blue up close is shaded by the head at 8 inches, well kinda sorta, that's the theory behind it anyway.
In the real word it don't really work the same way.
In the video the black is a reflection of the camera lens.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Karl_K - any idea if some video setup could show a bona-fide ASET in the relevant position ?

[shot in the dark]

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about asschers (or anything else come to that :lol-2:) but it looks really 'off' to me.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
blue is 75 to 90, red 45-75 green 0 to 45

Blue up close is shaded by the head at 8 inches, well kinda sorta, that's the theory behind it anyway.
In the real word it don't really work the same way.
In the video the black is a reflection of the camera lens.

aset-light-setup.jpg aset ......

Thanks Karl! Great graphic :)

I suppose the brightness/colour of this stone head-on would therefore be basically entirely dependent on what's in front of it!

@Karl_K - any idea if some video setup could show a bona-fide ASET in the relevant position ?

[shot in the dark]
Is it simply a case of having a (small, macro) camera lens pointing through the viewing hole of an ASET, with the stone at the appropriate distance from the lens/ASET and perpendicular to the camera lens, on a rotating platform?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW

DARK side of an Octavia in the works: WWW

Stop teasing me with things I can't afford!! :D lol

I love his Instagram feed, it's the only one that's made me actually consider joining IG.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is it simply a case of having a (small, macro) camera lens pointing through the viewing hole of an ASET, with the stone at the appropriate distance from the lens/ASET and perpendicular to the camera lens, on a rotating platform?
The stone has to be held by the girdle and perfectly rotated in the right plane for it to work.
Even hand held with tweezers its tricky.
A giant size scope helps.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can just hear the sales pitch now..."Now, I'm going to show you something totally unique and rare. Something that is just our own exclusive cut. A "Nebula-Asscher". You can see that its like looking into the infinity of space with the fire and shine of stars being born on the corners. The center shows the hope of light from distance planets. Like the light and infinite love you two have.":lol-2:

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope someone with money to burn purchases this stone & has it recut to rescue it...
It would be worth it to lose size for amazing cut, in this case.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can just hear the sales pitch now..."Now, I'm going to show you something totally unique and rare. Something that is just our own exclusive cut. A "Nebula-Asscher". You can see that its like looking into the infinity of space with the fire and shine of stars being born on the corners. The center shows the hope of light from distance planets. Like the light and infinite love you two have.":lol-2:
That kind of makes me love it:lol:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL

I'm not sure 'admiring' is quite the right word...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
-

That diamond reminds me these things: WWW

... like looking into the infinity of space with the fire and shine of stars ...

... posting awway - until one of the Pricescope's power that be might take notice of the unnerving % of my posts with links to this one Instagram account [... with its flood of minute perfect diamonds: the only use I can think of for them are ETAS ! ]

@scarsmum

Last edited:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it simply a case of having a (small, macro) camera lens pointing through the viewing hole of an ASET

This is mostly a note to self,

For what I don't remember of what I ever knew of these things ... the technicalities might as well be pie in the sky.

Then, I keep thinking about what I am wishing for from such an evaluation is not exactly a sequence of ASET shots, as much as an overlap of a few shots - so that the aspect of the diamond slightly in motion is read. IHMO, I suspect that this matter got accounted for one way or another beyond the use of reflectors: as the unquestionably very bright models with relatively flat crowns got thrown out of the Ideal train (HCA BIC), then the new OEC models appear contrast-less all-Red via IS, yet the stones are anything but flat ... SUM: I suspect that my impression of diamonds forms this way - from a small range of view-points, but, couldn't say I know what am I talking about unless I get to play with ideas enough to spell things out in proper technicaleze - if not samples.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats a shame...you would think with 4 carats that they would try to cut it a little nicer. ...

Actually the opposite is true.
Keeping it over 4.0 ct was the priority.
The hell with how it looks or performs.

It worked.
It's 4.01 ct.
:clap:
The cutter probably got an award.

Few buyers understand cut.
Every buyer understands carat weight.

I've noticed some of the worst-cut diamonds are just over a milestone carat weight.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results