shape
carat
color
clarity

Deal or not?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mandy

Rough_Rock
So i left a deposit on this today. I''m paying $3000 for this including the white gold setting. The jeweller was claiming he made no profits from this sale. I need your opinion

IGI certified
0.66 Carat (5.66 - 5.70 x 3.39mm)
Natural Diamond
Round Brilliant
Clarity: VVS2
Color Grade: F
Flouresence : Slight

Polish and Symetry: Very good
Proportions : very good
Tiable Diameter : 60% Crown heaight 13.5% Pavillion Depth: 43.5% Girdle tickness: thin to medium. cutlet sze: pointed

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2006 5:48:18 PM
Author:mandy

The jeweller was claiming he made no profits from this sale.
aaaaaaaaaaahahahhahahahhahahahhaahaaaaaaa
39.gif

as if.

any person that is in business would not be in business if they did not make a profit.

mandy

Rough_Rock
its a long story but basically he quoted us the wrong price having mistaken a figure. we insisted on getting it at the first price he quoted and in order not to ruin store reputation he agreed. We got it at $3000 but he claims it should cost way more. I need opinions as to what the retail value is likely to be.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
well...you could get a gia or ags stone with the same specs (.66 f/vvs) for under 3k so, you should expect to pay less for an igi graded diamond. all in all, i guess you could say 3k would be fair for a b&m stone, since they usually charge more. but don''t think for a minute that this guy is not making a profit. no matter what he says.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
My opinion: your jeweler is a yutz if he thinks you''re supposed to believe that he''s not making a profit.

My opinion: if a jeweler had the nerve to insult my intelligence by making such a ridiculous statement, I''d not do business with him. I''d consider him untrustworthy.

My opinion on the stone: I see a .62 F, VVS2 stone at this moment through PS that runs $2508. That stone should cost more than the IGI stone just on the paper alone. Given that IGI''s not in the same league as a grading lab, it''s more likely that the stone isn''t an F and isn''t a VVS2.....and if it''s not, it''s worth even less than the $2508 stone I found.

I''ll also guarantee you that the guy selling the $2508 stone *is* making a profit.....and his stone is likely higher in market value than the one you''ve seen.

From all of this, you can draw your own conclusions. Hope the info is helpful.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2006 6:04:16 PM
Author: belle
well...you could get a gia or ags stone with the same specs (.66 f/vvs) for under 3k so, you should expect to pay less for an igi graded diamond. all in all, i guess you could say 3k would be fair for a b&m stone, since they usually charge more. but don''t think for a minute that this guy is not making a profit. no matter what he says.
Yup, well said.
2.gif

mandy

Rough_Rock
nevermind

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
okay. You have been given the opinions you have asked for by three of the most knowledgeable consumers here. They have been studying a while. They know how to run a search engine. This diamond can be had for much cheaper on line. If you don''t wish to go that route, it is understandable. If you would rather believe the guy who did a bait-and-switch on you, feel free.

Sorry if that was harsh, but I''m sure his wife knows how to price his products. She sets a price, he comes in and overrides it, claiming a mistake has been made. I wonder how many times a week that happens to bona fide customers? You may not be able to do better at the local stores, but don''t think you''re getting the deal of the century and this guy is going to starve on the paltry sum he made off of you.

shay

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Mandy, have you looked up a stone with similar dimensions to yours on "Pricescope your diamond" at the top of the webpage? In searching for a round brilliant, IGI-certified, F, VVS2 between .6 and .7 carats, it looks like prices are in the mid-$2000s.

For example, these two from USACerted:
0.65 F VVS2 60% 59% IGI - gd no 5.62x5.67x3.39 $3426(per carat) -- $2227
0.70 F VVS2 59% 60% IGI tn-m no gd vg no 5.82x5.85x3.44 $3840(percarat) -- $2688

GIA and AGS certed diamonds with similar specs tended to be under $3000. However, IGI color and clarity grading is likely to be looser, so it might be more accurate to search for diamonds graded G, VS1 if you want to make an accurate comparison of prices.

Hope that helps!

mandy

Rough_Rock
thanks to all.....sounds like i could have gone cheaper online. But this was my one (and hopefully only) diamond purchase and I wished to get it at a store.

While I may not have gotten a deal I was certainly not as overpriced as I may have been in other shops (and believe me I DID shop around!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results