shape
carat
color
clarity

$4000or less? ring shopping?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jessica_brooke

Rough_Rock
We had a long talk about rings last night, and we decided to go ring-shopping tonight after dinner so he can get an idea of what I like, since I don''t really know. Can you suggest a place that has a lot of selection? (Either a chain or a store in CA) I''ve been reading around on here and realize that most brick/morter places are overpriced for bad quality, but I''m not sure where else to look, even if we decide to buy online form a vender.

He also mentioned that his budget is probably around $4k (or less). Is that enough for a good ring? (I was thinking I''d like somewhere around 1 ct, no visible inclusions, face up white, and a very good cut?) Do you think maybe he will increase it once he sees what $4k can buy? I think cut and caret are most important, and the others arent as importent as long as they arn''t dreadfull. do brikck/morter places grade on cut? i looked on shanecos website and they dont let you search by cut, only the other 3.

any suggestons abotu ring shopping (do we tell the place we are just looking? what to be prepared for) and how to find a nice iring in that price range. ?

I don''t know how soon he''s htinking, but my birthday is the begining of May. If we ordered online how long does it take fo rthe ring to come? I don''t know what he''s plannning.. but just in case :)

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
I''d say you could get a very nice 1 carat diamond in your price range, what were you thinking setting-wise?

I''d just say that you are looking so you don''t get hounded, places know you are going to look around and research, so this makes it easier for both parties.
I wouldn''t tell him personally what you have to spend, just say show me some 1 carat diamonds and tell me what the prices are.

jessica_brooke

Rough_Rock
Probably nothing too fancy. Either a plain solitaire setting or a few small diamonds on the band. I''d like a diamond-band wedding ring though so it might look better with a plain solitaire.

Is there a strong argument for platinum or white gold? I don''t really feel strongly either way. Can you mix them? (A wedding band I saw on a website and liked came in platinum but not white gold)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, here''s a lovely .90 carat stone for enough money to leave for a somewhat simple setting. http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=1020192

I think it''s going to be hard to hit the 1 carat mark without going down to an I1 in clarity. Many have done this, but it''s tricky to find one that is near eye-clean. Shopping at B&M''s is not easy on a budget. We had a budget around 4k as well and found that we could get a nicer stone online. We did end up buying the setting from a local B&M, but I regret it actually because the quality of the setting and service and not been great since.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Mine center stone is .9 carat and ideal cut, and it plus the setting was somewhere close to $4000. Here is a photo. The setting is a sz 4.75 and it is 3 sided pave 3/4 of the way around the band, and there are tiny diamonds set between each prong.

fab ring shotsml.jpg

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
here''s a lil different angle. You get a better idea of what the size looks like.

good ring photo2].jpg

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Also, if you get something in the .9 carat range, you could get one with a pretty good spread which would make it look larger anyway. If you go that extra jump to a full carat, you''ll end up have to jump up the price, too! Do you have an idea of what type of setting and shape/color of diamond you want? As for the platinum and white gold argument, both are good, you just have to get the rhodium replated on the white gold if it starts to fade off at all and it bothers you. There is some great information online about platinum and white gold. My e-ring is white gold, and it''s doing nicely, except after a little over a year it needs to be replated since the gold is starting to show through a little.

*M*

E B

Ideal_Rock
I got a 1 carat for under $4,000, but I also got lucky. I ended up with a GIA VG/VG but rated an "Excellent" cut (which I haven't seen a whole lot), with a 1 on the HCA. If you look at the two boxes on the HCA that show GIA and AGS excellent specs, my diamond is in both boxes.

It is a J, SI1 (completely eye-clean, though). If you're willing to go a bit lower in color and search for a stone just outside of ideal proportions, you could find a great stone too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results