shape
carat
color
clarity

$4000 budget - need help choosing the centre stone!

Back in 2009 my (then) boyfriend and I came on here, and asked for your help picking out a Whiteflash diamond with a $2000 budget. Thanks to all of you, we chose a truly gorgeous ACA .551 H VS1 round diamond, and had it set in a petite cathedral setting. I was absolutely thrilled with the diamond you all helped me choose, and all these years I've been so grateful for your help!

Now that our 10 year anniversary is coming up next month we have contacted Whiteflash about upgrading the centre stone. At this point we have been told that the value of our current diamond is $1602.05, I have given Whiteflash a budget of $4000 with the trade-in value factored in. So basically an additional $2398 on top of our original diamond value. I told the experts at Whiteflash that I was looking for a diamond of an equivalent cut, color, and clarity. Based on their recommendation, they have come back with the following suggestions and I would very much love your opinion about the diamonds they've suggested: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare/?idnos=4150012,4278328,4322997

I frankly like the .81 carat diamond because it is bigger and will make more of an impact on my not so petite finger - but what are your thoughts?

Many thanks in advance! I so appreciate any help you can provide!

For reference sake, I'm including a picture of my original ring:

GrahamMoffat_021609a.jpg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful rings, OP! I am a little confused, why is the trade in value with WF different than the original purchase price? Is there any damage to the stone?

I should add that our original diamond was found by @swingirl =)2 It wasn't even one that Whiteflash recommended themselves! Since I noticed she's still active I thought I would give her a HUGE shout-out! Because all these years later I am still so grateful of the truly beautiful diamond she found!

Beautiful rings, OP! I am a little confused, why is the trade in value with WF different than the original purchase price? Is there any damage to the stone?

So they gave us the value without even inspecting the stone first. There's no damage that I'm aware of. I wondered that myself - I can follow up with them but I'm guessing maybe it has to do with fluctuations in price of diamonds!??! *shrug*

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So they gave us the value without even inspecting the stone first. There's no damage that I'm aware of. I wondered that myself - I can follow up with them but I'm guessing maybe it has to do with fluctuations in price of diamonds!??! *shrug*

Umm that doesn’t match WFs upgrade policy and so I am still unsure what’s the reason for the lower trade up value. It conflicts with the upgrade policy stated online. Is your original stone an ACA?

Umm that doesn’t match WFs upgrade policy and so I am still unsure what’s the reason for the lower trade up value. It conflicts with the upgrade policy stated online. Is your original stone an ACA?

My original stone is indeed ACA - I have contacted Whiteflash to ask for the reason of the trade-in value we've been given. I'll let you know the answer as soon as I hear back. In the meantime, I'll also go dig up my original paperwork.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You dont remember what you originally paid for it?

Definitely the .81 to gain some size. I would ask about the inclusion on the table and if its viewable at all and if so, at what distance. It seems
pretty minor and probably hard to detect in a .81 stone but worth asking.

Your original set is very pretty! You are planning on reusing it right?

You dont remember what you originally paid for it?

Definitely the .81 to gain some size. I would ask about the inclusion on the table and if its viewable at all and if so, at what distance. It seems
pretty minor and probably hard to detect in a .81 stone but worth asking.

Your original set is very pretty! You are planning on reusing it right?

I found my original post on here so I know what the budget was back then. My husband purchased it but doesn’t remember the exact amount. When I look back at the old thread I can see that the member who found the stone suggested it in part because we could save some money so I don’t know if that means we went under budget.

But yes, we’re definitely reusing the setting!!! We love it!!

Here’s the reply re the reduced Diamond cost:

You’re most welcome. Your upgrade credit is what you originally paid for the diamond minus shipping costs. There was a 5% discount you got on the diamond and then minus the shipping leaves the amount I mentioned for the upgrade.

Kh0117

Rough_Rock
Here’s the reply re the reduced Diamond cost:

You’re most welcome. Your upgrade credit is what you originally paid for the diamond minus shipping costs. There was a 5% discount you got on the diamond and then minus the shipping leaves the amount I mentioned for the upgrade.

I thought it was free shipping with WF?

I thought it was free shipping with WF?

I’m clarifying that with them but I’m Canadian so that might make a difference. In the past they used to provide shipping labels of their own accord but apparently they’ve been hit with substantial customs fees that they’re fighting so they no longer do that.

It’s too bad because at this price point it substantially reduces the amount available for an upgrade.

Kh0117

Rough_Rock
I’m clarifying that with them but I’m Canadian so that might make a difference. In the past they used to provide shipping labels of their own accord but apparently they’ve been hit with substantial customs fees that they’re fighting so they no longer do that.

It’s too bad because at this price point it substantially reduces the amount available for an upgrade.

Ok. I was going to ask if you were international.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your set is so pretty. I think it’s going to look fabulous with a bigger stone!!! Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock

It would be good to know why Whiteflash have been hit with large customs fees, is this something more recent they have had to deal with and why, has there been a change in customs charges?

Blueberry11

Rough_Rock
I am in the middle of upgrading my ACA for my (almost) 10 year anniversary too! Whiteflash deducted some money for my upgrade value for shipping and my husband had also received a $100 discount for the original diamond purchase since he was a new customer.

Another other item to consider before you decide on the diamond is the method you paid for the original diamond. For example my husband used a credit card for the original diamond but I paid for my upgrade via wire. So I only saved the 3% (for wiring the money) on part of the cost of the new diamond.

You mentioned that you are using your same ring for the upgrade. You may want to ask them if you need a new head. I am also using my same ring but I needed a new head for my upgrade, Which added $300 to my upgrade.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results