shape
carat
color
clarity

4 ct early round brilliant, to recut or not recut

thaifood122

Rough_Rock
My partner and I are planning to get engaged in the coming months and over the holiday his family offered him a 4 ct heirloom diamond for the proposal. The diamond is an early round brilliant with some splintery facets. It faces up white and has some warmth in the body and lots of fire. We are definitely planning to reset but I’m also wondering about a possible recut.

I’d love to hear what you all think about recutting old brilliant cuts. Is it worth it? Should I just buy a different diamond and leave this one as is? I’d hate to knock this rock down into the 2 carat range with a recut.

CE511F05-EC52-41C0-B188-89C468034BAF.png 1C7288B2-F26B-45D6-90BA-9F50E263D944.jpeg 84854418-2E3A-462B-9135-14DE6C24A5CA.jpeg

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about recutting, although I’m sure there are some risks involved which you may need to consider. How about getting the stone GIA certified to start with? At least then you’ll know exactly what you have.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a question to be posed to an excellent experienced gem cutter. Your results will depend on the experience and artistry of the cutter. Do you live near LA, NYC or Houston for another big city with a gem industry? You can also send off for an evaluation.

You will lose weight and very likely diameter. If your stone is exactly 4 carats you will drop below the magic 4 carat mark and the stone will lose value on that alone. Before you recut any stone, I strongly suggest that you wear it for a year to see how you like it. Also, you will want to know what types of faceting you love (Modern Round Brilliant or Old Cut) before you make any decisions. A recut will permanently alter the historic character of a stone and you can never know finished results until it is finished. You may end up not liking the results. It is a big risk, that should be done only for a crisis like a chip or damage, IMO.

If I were you I would absolutely wear your four carat stone in a setting that you love and never recut it. It’s likely worth far more without a recut to someone who appreciates it as is. Hopefully that person is you! Good luck.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks very good as it currently is. If it has existing chips or damage, then re-cutting or repairing the damage may make good sense. Otherwise, I personally don't think you will gain as much as you might lose by recutting. If you have your diamond recut, a cutter does not accept responsibility for any breakage or accidental damage. It is on you and you likely can't buy any insurance for such an unexpected occurrence.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Southwest Diamond Cutters in Dallas TX is a highly recommended cutter, they are very nice (I haven't dont business with them but I had considered turning my Marquise into an Oval with them but we decided against it. The stone needs to be evaluated for cutting and I do doubt that you would go all the way down to a 2ct if you did recut it, but another aspect is that this is a family heirloom and as stated above unless the stone has a chips or needs repair I would leave this alone if you have to sacrifice too much weight.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I love it as is! I love antique cuts, I have read they face up so white because of how they were actually cut. I am not seeing why you want to recut it in your post? Is it because you want more traditional faceting? Maybe if you say why you want to recut it the members here advise you better. Good luck, I wouldnt touch it, it's just gorgeous!

JohnnyAngel

Rough_Rock
It’s such a gorgeous size as-is for your finger- looks large, but not overwhelming. I think it would be disappointing to go down in size after wearing it as a 4 carat. Is the diamond beautiful in person, or do you have specific issues with it?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not recut it.

Firstly - to me it looks fine in these pictures.

Secondly - Recutting always poses a risk of the destruction of the stone and I wouldn’t want to risk that with a four carat stone. I don’t know if you could insure it for recutting, so you could end up with a total loss.

Thirdly - it may drop below four carats which would be a significant loss of value.

If you don’t like the cut, I would either give it back to the family (if there is someone else who may inherit it) or sell it and buy a new one. With this particular stone I don’t think recutting is an idea you should be considering.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I recut a much smaller family early mrb stone and was thrilled with the result. It went from 1 ct to .80 and I could care less about the size loss because it looks so much better. This stone looks pretty good as it is. Yours might only lose a very small amount by just having the pavilion tweaked a bit. It might not have to affect the diameter or crown at all. It can't hurt to have it evaluated if you can meet with a cutter. Since you are resetting it anyway, I don't see any particular reason not to rehab a bit and make it look its best. If it was an OEC and you wanted to do a total recut to modern round, I'd say no. Value is really not an issue with heirloom stones that won't be sold. The beauty and enjoyment of the stone is the primary value.

thaifood122

Rough_Rock
I think I’ve just been hanging around these boards and spending weeks looking at AGS 000 hearts and arrows stones that I became a little self conscious about the stone when a couple of people pointed out that they wouldn’t accept an heirloom they couldn’t recut.

Then I started wondering if this stone needs to be recut since the cut is a bit splintery when really looking with a critical eye. But I think I’m leaning towards cutting not being worth risking the size (or the stone itself breaking) when it’s already plenty lively, fire-y, and brilliant...

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Wewechew might be able to give you some insight based on her experience with her inherited diamond and the conversation with Ashley at SW Diamond Cutters in Dallas.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would only consider a recut through BGD, if recutting into an MRB. I have personally done at least 3 recuts with them and the results have been stunning every single time. However, recutting is not cheap and it’s not risk-free. A recut will run you at about $2k give or take with certification and it takes 4-6weeks. As others mentioned, it is hard to find an insurer who would cover any possible damage during a recutting process and that you need to take into consideration. If the stone will drop under 4ct, I might be hesitant to recut, although, again I was very happy with all of my recuts despite the weight loss. If you are seriously considering it, I would email BGD and they will require that you ship the stone to them for evaluation. I’d ask them for a shipping label because they can add insurance and you will just pay for the label. But please make sure that you have done a recent appraisal and gotten an insurance policy on the stone prior to shipping it anywhere. I recommend JM for diamond/jewelry insurance.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@thaifood122 these boards have a ton of data, but well meaning advice can make people feel bad about what they have and hyper focus on what you may or may not even be able to see. What you have is a lovely, if somewhat imperfect stone as compared to perfectly precision cut stones of today. Either accept for what it is or give it back to the family that offered it. That's my two cents.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, now that I read your other thread about being concerned about the size, I'd lean even more toward a minor recut...as in mainly the pavilion facets. Even if it lost a tiny bit of diameter, it sounds like that might help you feel more comfortable wearing it. There's no point in having a diamond that is too large to wear. I am much older than you, but I honestly would feel hesitant to wear anything larger than about 2.5 cts (and mine is almost that size). If the ring is a gift to your fiance to give to you, you two can do anything you want with the diamond. Most people are not observant enough to even notice a recut. So if you do it, I wouldn't say a word. They won't notice. It'll look different in a new setting anyway.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
I would recommend not recutting. I had 3 diamonds recut and was not overwhelmed by the results or the customer service. I am sure they are a better cut, but they do not look any better to my eyes. I loved my diamonds more before the recuts. So, I had the expense of cutting, then grading and now they sit unset. My hope is that you accept the gift, have it reset to your liking and someday you can pass the diamond down with the original history.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
From the last photo, this stone looks very beautiful and has a unique facet pattern from being an early brilliant. If it is recut to a modern brilliant, in addition to being smaller, you have the risk that it may appear less white and show more yellow color face up. I think the advice to wear it for a year is very good. If I were you I would also get a modern ideal cut simulant set into an inexpensive ring so you can evaluate which facet pattern you prefer. I had a large diamond recut with excellent results but I had the benefit of 11 years of wear to know exactly what I wanted.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I say don't recut until you truly understand your diamond. You might find that a polish would be enough at the reset. But I agree with @Polyhex and think you should wait at least a year before you really go that route. I think its really a lovely looking stone.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
The stone is beautiful as is, and the risks seem too high vs. the benefits. Definitely wear the stone for a year to decide if you love it the way it is first, since a recut is irreversible. Sometimes I think a perfectly cut H&A stone is too perfect and lacks unique character. Lastly, it's best to enjoy and cherish what you have vs. chasing perfection. Nothing is ever perfect unless it's a H&A, D, FL, no fluorescence stone!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a beautiful early RB and I wouldn't recut it. I've had one stone recut (OEC) with Ashley at Southwest Diamond Cutters and also had him look at my original engagement ring which looks EXACTLY like yours. He recommended not touching the cut because of sentimental reasons.

Like someone else said, if the cut is going to bother you, give the diamond back to his family and purchase a super ideal for your engagement ring.

Seriously, please don't recut this diamond; it's beautiful as is. But if you were to recut it, I would recommend Ashley in a heartbeat. I feel like Brian Gavin wants to get any stone to super ideal proportions, where as Ashley will work with you on what can be done to the diamond to maximize performance while at the same time being as conservative as you want to be.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
If anything can be improved, it is not obvious. On the other hand, a refresh does not have to be needed - you may well just want to give it a new shine [ie. slight polish remedies taking off a few 0.01 & no more - common enough practice]. The technical what / if / how can only be decided by a diamond cuter with the stone in hand. [there are a few stories of such diamond restauration around here, not that I can recall whose now]

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm more of a cut freak than a size queen. ;-)
I'm also less sentimental for family stuff than most people.

Sounds like you feel it looks good, but you mention 'splintery', which doesn't sound like a compliment.
Sounds like the light performance could be improved upon.
Personally I'd consider a recut because I'm spoiled by wearing 3 different top-cut diamonds for the last 10 years.
I'm spoiled, so to me cut is king.
But ... YMMV.

But perhaps you don't have 10 years of being spoiled by top light performance.

I think you need to find out for yourself what top cut looks like, and then decide.
You may want it, or you may feel it's not worth risking your heirloom to damage, weight loss, and recutting expense.

I'd put your diamond side by side next to a round with top cut and decide for yourself.
Depending on where you live finding a large round with top cut may be easy or impossible.

If you decide to recut I'd also first send it to GIA for a full report to understand possible clarity issues.
Some inclusions may make recutting more risky, though I think even a diamond with top clarity could fail at the cutting wheel.

I'd research diamond cutters.
Yoram Finkelstein at www.gemconcepts.net has an excellent reputation.
He cuts the Octavia and many other beautiful shapes.

Last edited:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you are still considering a recut I second sending it to GIA before you do anything. Make sure they will give you all the crown and pavilion angles and heights common to a MRB cert. I say this because someone recently posted a GIA cert for an OEC, and all it gave was width and total depth.

Once you have the full GIA cert numbers I'm sure the cut geeks here will be able to give you plenty of useful advice.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
If the diamond is sent out anywhere - it should be to AGS as they grade for light performance. GIA does not. All my stones - which are older (pre 1945) - were all sent to AGS prior to their resetting.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
It looks very good as it currently is. If it has existing chips or damage, then re-cutting or repairing the damage may make good sense. Otherwise, I personally don't think you will gain as much as you might lose by recutting. If you have your diamond recut, a cutter does not accept responsibility for any breakage or accidental damage. It is on you and you likely can't buy any insurance for such an unexpected occurrence.

@oldminer Jewelers Mutual will insure for any reason, recuts included. I’ve been down this road. But first, of course, it would need an appraisal and then go through underwriting. Personally, I am in favor of a recut. I’ve done it before, and I currently have 2 sizable inherited stones at BGD in the process right now!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the diamond is sent out anywhere - it should be to AGS as they grade for light performance. GIA does not. All my stones - which are older (pre 1945) - were all sent to AGS prior to their resetting.

Semi-correction, GIA does grade for cut, but IMO a diamond AGS graded 000 in light performance is superior to a diamond that GIA graded their more sloppy Ex Ex Ex.

It's about the diameter of their targets for their best cut, GIA is larger, AGS is smaller.

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Noooooooooo
only if it is damaged ie chipped girdle or similar would I even think about a recut.
its stunningly beautiful just as it is.
if it’s a little bit “too much” for you right now, set it to one side because trust me, in a few short years youll acquire a common malady called DSS which is diamond shrinking syndrome. It true.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Noooooooooo
only if it is damaged ie chipped girdle or similar would I even think about a recut.
its stunningly beautiful just as it is.
if it’s a little bit “too much” for you right now, set it to one side because trust me, in a few short years youll acquire a common malady called DSS which is diamond shrinking syndrome. It true.

This right here is truth! My heirloom center stone is 4.6 carats and I’ve been wearing it for a few years now, at first it felt huge but now it’s feels just right especially once I got the setting just right. My fingers are smaller then yours and people comment on the size but it’s like I forget half the time it’s that large, after wearing it so long the size just doesn’t register

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results