shape
carat
color
clarity

3rd graders plan too attack teacher..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Woah!!
23.gif
23.gif
Just reading the quote freaked me out.
14.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blech...what''s really scary is that the students thought things so far through. I wonder what will happen to them now?

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
This freaked me out, because as a teacher, I see the attitude in a LOT of my students that if they don''t like something, they can take things into their own hands and not worry about the consequences. Yesterday I assigned a student a detention, and because he thought I was being unreasonable, he walked out of my room to go complain to the principal about me (luckily the principal said...did she touch you? did she say something inappropriate? no? then get your @ss back to class). But I teach high school, and I never thought I would see this attitude in kids so young!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was shocking reading this too. When I was growing up it was inconceivable that you would even think of laying a hand on a teacher.

I''m a little worried about my mom. She is is a community college English teacher, but she has a "problematic" student in one of her classes. She doesn''t do the assignments as instructed, (maybe doesn''t understand the instructions?) and says odd things including that the individual has had special military training. The last assignment she gave the student a C and even gave the student the option of redoing the work. When it was time to turn in the next assignment, the student showed up to the meeting withhout the due assignment but with a 3 page letter full of rants and complaints the student said was going to be given her supervisor.

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
That is CRAZY.
6.gif
38.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
23.gif
23.gif
Thank god I work with animals
3.gif

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow... I wonder what is wrong with kids these days

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, this is shocking! I have an 8 year old son and I could never in a million years imagine him doing something like this.

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Ridiculous. What really got me angry was this line"

"Children in Georgia can''t be charged with a crime unless they are at least 13, District Attorney Rick Currie said."

If we can occasionally charge a minor as an adult, why can''t these children be made an example of?

We should not over look the students who chose not to participate in the event. Those children should be applauded for chosing not to participate in this. It takes a lot of guts when you are that age to decide to go against the crowd.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
I have to wonder how serious they were about this. Kids that age are capable of letting their imaginations run completely out of control. I know my oldest son has some pretty involved fantasies, though I would take immediate action if I heard anything like this.

When I was in third grade, the kids in my class plotted out an elaborate "wedding" between two of the students, complete with assigned roles and a schedule. We all knew it wasn''t for real.

That said, it''s just as likely these kids have been watching too much TV and were planning this seriously without thinking what it meant.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/2/2008 3:20:22 AM
Author: monarch64
Blech...what's really scary is that the students thought things so far through. I wonder what will happen to them now?

Well that all depends on whether they have IEPs (plans if they have any types of disabilities). A child with certain disabilities can get away with just about anything because "he can't help it."

I think it's ridiculous what some children are allowed to get away with. Disabilities certainly need to be met with accommodations, but they DON'T need to be used as excuses for behaviors like this. What does that teach the other kids?

You wouldn't believe what kids at my own school get away with because of some diagnosis or another: indecent exposure, pummeling other kids to the point of needing plastic surgery, threats, sexual harassment, and worse.

allikatac

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/2/2008 7:26:46 AM
Author: Sabine
This freaked me out, because as a teacher, I see the attitude in a LOT of my students that if they don''t like something, they can take things into their own hands and not worry about the consequences. Yesterday I assigned a student a detention, and because he thought I was being unreasonable, he walked out of my room to go complain to the principal about me (luckily the principal said...did she touch you? did she say something inappropriate? no? then get your @ss back to class). But I teach high school, and I never thought I would see this attitude in kids so young!
Same here... I was giving state assessment tests today and I had a student give me major attitude about finishing her test. She was very disrespectful in what she said and ended up walking out of the room. She could care less about the consequences(they get away with so much) and it is so frustrating as a teacher. I immediately thought about this article and how awful that 3rd graders could act like this! I really hope that something more is done than a slap on the wrist.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2008 5:33:20 PM
Author: Fancy605

Blech...what''s really scary is that the students thought things so far through. I wonder what will happen to them now?

Well that all depends on whether they have IEPs (plans if they have any types of disabilities). A child with certain disabilities can get away with just about anything because ''he can''t help it.''

I think it''s ridiculous what some children are allowed to get away with. Disabilities certainly need to be met with accommodations, but they DON''T need to be used as excuses for behaviors like this. What does that teach the other kids?

You wouldn''t believe what kids at my own school get away with because of some diagnosis or another: indecent exposure, pummeling other kids to the point of needing plastic surgery, threats, sexual harassment, and worse.
Same at my school, Fancy. I''m a 1:1 aide at an elementary school. UN.BE.LIEV.ABLE some of the things that are excused... it''s even worse when the parents have a sense of entitlement and a lawyer on speed dial... serious issues get excused and nonissues get exaggerated. It''s just plain wrong to not give consequences... that''s not how life works and it''s unfair to others who suffer the effects. The other kids are always commenting on the unfair treatment.

They very well could have just been letting their imagination run away with them, but it''s still disturbing they would have such an imagination (though not surprising with the amount of violence and disrespect that is deemed "acceptable" to the powers- or parents- that be).

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
hmm, makes you understand why some animals eat their young....
11.gif

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
I just heard on the news that they arrested 2 of them, and they will probably arrest the third.

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
How do kids that young even THINK of doing something like that.
15.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many children are constantly seeing and hearing about violent things. Some of them live in violent homes or neighborhoods, and they accept it as a regular part of their lives. Some of them seem to think they''re in a movie - they believe they can harm someone and then everyone will just get up and go home at the end of the day. Also, many of them aren''t taught to respect teachers. Many of their parents don''t respect teachers. My office is full of former teachers who quit teaching because they were afraid of the kids. One woman quit teaching because a student knocked her down, and one man told me he quit because he was afraid he would be attacked. What chance does a 5 foot tall 98 pound woman or a slightly built man have against a 6 foot tall 200 pound teenager? What chance does any teacher have against a group of kids who gang up?

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/2/2008 9:05:05 PM
Author: nclrgirl
How do kids that young even THINK of doing something like that.
15.gif

Some of these kids have no sense of right and wrong. I have taught kids who have absolutely no sense of remorse whatsoever for actions. It''s like they were born without it or something. It''s they most disturbing thing when a kid has absolutely NO compassion towards others. I''m not even talking about the kids who have disillusions about violence and think everyone will just "get up and walk away" later. Some kids just don''t understand what long term harms they can really do. I''m talking about something worse. Some kids simply don''t CARE whether anyone gets up and walks away (except themselves of course). Those are the ones who are truly scary, the ones who have no regard for humanity.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results