shape
carat
color
clarity

2ct round on 4.5 hand.. too big?

sadiesunshine13

Rough_Rock
I know I know, is any diamond ever “too big?” :lol: I can’t tell if it’s because it’s just not in a setting so it appears larger, or if it truly just looks too big for my small hands?

I had tried on a 2ct round in a solitaire setting in a store about a year ago, and I thought it looked like a perfect size which is why I decided on getting a 2ct. We ordered one online recently which is pictured in these photos, but as I’m looking at it now I’m wondering if it looks too large for me? Can I get some honest opinions please :mrgreen: Should I size down a bit or does it look like an appropriate size for my hand? I do like a larger stone but I also want it to be elegant and classy and not appear gaudy or just too big for my hand size. Thanks so much!!

For context: I’m in the greater NYC area so people around me do generally have larger center stones. It also will be set in a solitaire setting with some small shoulder detailing, no halo or anything like that.

DC18C66F-9877-4DF6-922B-1AF5268341DF.jpeg 00AD40DD-3DFD-40D4-A0B2-E9A9A2862248.jpeg 88EB0F93-F4F0-4441-9177-E2EBB09C85D9.jpeg

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
This is very personal. One person will find it gaudy another will say you could go far bigger. YOU decide what YOU like and feel comfortable with (:

Two years ago I thought 3ct was gaudy now I would love 5ct. My brother finds almost any diamond over 1ct gaudy any my husband doesn’t care and notice diamonds.

Last edited:

sadiesunshine13

Rough_Rock
This is very personal. One person will find it gaudy another will say you could go far bigger. YOU decide what YOU like and feel comfortable with (:

I know, you’re absolutely right. I just am so terribly indecisive! I go back and forth. I’m worried if I size down now, in a few months to years, I’ll get used to the size and regret ever sizing down and want to upgrade! But then the other part of me says what if it is just too big and looks silly! Decisions, decisions.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I think it will be absolutely beautiful. But you have to feel "okay" with what you wear. As it is the "norm" in your area, if you like it, why not?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your eyes will adjust quicker to the size than you realize. If you give up the two carat, you will be sorry that you let it go down the road. I think it will be perfect - rock that rock!!

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
I know I know, is any diamond ever “too big?” :lol: I can’t tell if it’s because it’s just not in a setting so it appears larger, or if it truly just looks too big for my small hands?

I had tried on a 2ct round in a solitaire setting in a store about a year ago, and I thought it looked like a perfect size which is why I decided on getting a 2ct. We ordered one online recently which is pictured in these photos, but as I’m looking at it now I’m wondering if it looks too large for me? Can I get some honest opinions please :mrgreen: Should I size down a bit or does it look like an appropriate size for my hand? I do like a larger stone but I also want it to be elegant and classy and not appear gaudy or just too big for my hand size. Thanks so much!!

For context: I’m in the greater NYC area so people around me do generally have larger center stones. It also will be set in a solitaire setting with some small shoulder detailing, no halo or anything like that.

DC18C66F-9877-4DF6-922B-1AF5268341DF.jpeg 00AD40DD-3DFD-40D4-A0B2-E9A9A2862248.jpeg 88EB0F93-F4F0-4441-9177-E2EBB09C85D9.jpeg

You will get used to it and then suffer from diamond shrinkage - trust me! It’s a perfect size!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks perfect on your hand.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is beautiful and will look perfect on your hand. It is going to look both elegant and classy.

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
I'm in NYC, with a 1.8ct MRB and the same ring size and wish I had gone for 2+ cts!!

2 cts is not subtle, but not too big. You will be in good company in our area.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
looks perfect for you! my mom has a 1.97 ct OEC on a size 5 hand...perfect size in my opinion

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a .35 and then a 1.21 and now 2.10. Now I wish I could go bigger. Shrinkage is real!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear sz 4.25 and I sorta know what you mean. My ER is 1.04 and I inherited my mom’s 2.5ct - I would wear the bigger one when I was dressing up vs everyday. BUT - I’m also not in NYC area (nor am I young); what I’m seeing with younger women in NY metro is definitely 2ctw. I think you’ll regret going smaller. IDK what you’re thinking for wedding band, and anything goes; but, I might go with a plain band and later when you feel effects of diamond shrinkage get a diamond band for an anniversary (even your 1st ;)) - but that’s just a thought, not necessary at all.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
My finger 3.5 and my ring is 2.13ct and I feel like the size is perfect. But I am a bit greedy and want bigger. 2.5ct-2.6ct would be my ideal size. Thus, I do not believe yours is too big.

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all. I think it looks the perfect size.

pandalicious

Rough_Rock
It's perfection! also love your nails. I'm in the NYC area and I think it's the right size :dance:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks beautiful! In NYC you’ll be fine with a 2ct. We’re outside Manhattan and I notice lots of larger diamonds in the newly engaged set.

If you’re comfortable with it, then it’s perfect. Gorgeous stone!

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
My finger 3.5 and my ring is 2.13ct and I feel like the size is perfect. But I am a bit greedy and want bigger. 2.5ct-2.6ct would be my ideal size. Thus, I do not believe yours is too big.

Also a 3.5 finger here, had a 1.9ct and thought 2.25ish would have been perfect. (the 8mm was ok some days, but somedays I wished it was bigger). It’s hard to imagine you’ll feel 2 cts is too big in the long run, but ultimately you have to feel comfortable!

southernicetea

Shiny_Rock
Size 4 with a 2ct solitaire checking in! It really depends on your social circle and colleagues, but I think it looks great on your hand.

I think you will be fine in the greater New York area. I read somewhere that 2ct was the average size in NYC.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will look beautiful on you! It is a wonderful size and an elegant look. I agree with others that you might regret going smaller. Over time your eyes will definitely adjust to the size.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Looks beautiful on you!

Also depends on the activities; if 2 carat doesn't interfer with your everyday activities, why not? I believe that you will get used to the size and would want to upgrade in future. =)2

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I am a size 4.5 and my solitaire is a 2.5 ct. If I had all the money in the world I'd love a 3 ct with the same stats. I'm super conscious about not wanting to look gaudy and don't think mine looks too large.

Here's "Dainty." I named her that because a few folks were snarky that I didn't go larger (I prioritize high color over carat weight -- to each her own!)

IMG_9848.jpg

There's a thread in the Show Me The Bling that is just images of people's 2-3 ct rings. Look through that and you'll see examples of what a 2 ct looks like on different folks.

IMG_0094 !!.jpg

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have nothing to be indecisive about. You don’t even have the ring on your finger yet. After you receive it, wear it on your finger for two weeks and then see what you think. Then another two weeks, and then another. Let us know when it shrinks.

And FYI, here is my 2.11 on my 4.5 finger. The only issue I have with the size is that I would prefer it bigger.
52E89E85-A3E2-4E7C-AC9E-843F40A2665C.jpeg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results