shape
carat
color
clarity

27 Interesting minutes

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
27 minutes of frustration and laughing in disbelief, you mean?

But this is why there are leaders and there are followers in the world. So many actually feel that they NEED laws/rules/boundaries as a guide to either give their life some sort of meaning, or to adhere to steadfastly so they can finally believe that they are a good person. And that is what leaders take advantage of and how they get to power and stay there. This poor man has been taught that he needs discipline and rules otherwise chaos will ensue--now that may be partly true, but if we could teach our children that rules/laws are made for our safety and not our oppression maybe that philosophy would actually work. Like everything else in life "the rules" have been bastardized and people can't wrap their minds around logic anymore. :shock:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1474933840|4081078 said:
... people can't wrap their minds around logic anymore. :shock:

Bingo.
Well .......................... you and I still can.
Why not everyone?

When did critical thinking become a bad thing?
Reagan's era? GW Bush's?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1474934523|4081086 said:
monarch64|1474933840|4081078 said:
... people can't wrap their minds around logic anymore. :shock:

Bingo.
Well .......................... you and I still can.
Why not everyone?

What happened to critical thinking?

I don't know for sure, but can speculate. I have a family member who basically refuses to look under the surface and actually question or think deeply about anything that isn't immediately obvious. And she's very intelligent. We were discussing a poem the other day and I mentioned that in high school I had written a paper about it having underlying sexual implications. She said that took all the joy out of poetry and books for her--critical thinking. I knew what she meant, and we all make those choices sometimes, but it was a small symptom of the larger problem we have to just ignore what's going on underneath the surface. So, 1. laziness and 2. willful ignorance and I don't have much patience for either when it comes to being a humanist and trying to REALLY understand each other. BECAUSE I AM PERFECT YOU KNOW. :naughty: :praise: ;))

Words mean things. They can have more than one meaning or implication or theme or underlying hate. The absolute refusal to expand your mind beyond what you've been taught--the rules/laws/social customs--because it makes you uncomfortable or fearful is part of the human condition, I guess.

Kenny, have you read about Neil Degrasse-Tyson's half acceptance of the theory that we are another civilization's virtual reality experiment or study? 50% probability/prediction coming from him is HUGE and in my opinion difficult to ignore.
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/152927/20160423/universe-probably-simulation-neil-degrasse-tyson.htm

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results