shape
carat
color
clarity

25k budget- can''t figure it all out

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

giftgoddess

Rough_Rock
hi everyone,

i have been reading these boards for a couple weeks now, so i see all the heated discussions surrounding a "tiffany" purchase. the thing is- with the 25k we are going to spend, i went to an independent dealer, and i was shown an F color, SI1 2.6 carat stone. it looked gorgeous from the top- sparkly and clean. from the side- not as sparkly. but basically an absolute stunner in my opinion, and also my VERY discriminating friends opinion. anyway- the thing is- the setting. i just can not get used to the six prong settings that are available NOT from tiffanys. the settings in tiffanys are so gorgeous to me- and i can tell them from a mile away. anyway- with 25k- does anyone know what i can expect get from tiffanys size wise? and also- any advice on what color, clarity and size you would go for out side of tiffanys- assuming the cut was ideal? if this post is too "all over the place" please let me know, and i will rework it. basically i am looking for some educated opinions on how to best spend 25k on a ring.

ps: i am looking for a round soltaire on a platinum band.

Final Cut

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I just received my GIA 2.42ct round HVS2 from ADOL today ($16.4k ++ in total $17.5k) and it is incredible. My budget was basically like yours ($25k for the whole thing)... and I realised that cut is really impolrtant and that H&A is like any other brand - expensive, but 'safe' to buy.

I will end up spending $20k on a gorgeous ring in a plat Vatche setting with side baguettes, but then again I think that is going to be a great ring. If you cannot get away from the setting issue, take a look at cooldiamonds.com for some alternative settings - it may help you out ?

Thanks.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow first off, nice budget!!
1.gif

Check out www.whiteflash.com for their solitaire settings. They have about 8-10 different platinum solitaire style settings. They are not like the Tiffany, some may be somewhat similar, but they all have a unique characteristic that makes them beautiful. I was tempted between either the Fine Line setting or another one..but in the end we went with a custom setting (way more fun!!).

You can get a great stone online for $25k...or even $24k if you spend $1k on a custom setting. Here's one from NiceIce to take a peek at: 2.35c G VS1 http://www.niceice.com/certcopies/gia12366039/index.htm . I think GoodOldGold has some larger contenders also you may want to check out. Pretty pictures anyway. Oh also wanted to suggest that with a 2+c stone to be careful with SI1. There WILL be some eye clean SI1s out there in the larger stone size, but as you go larger in ctw, the inclusions may get bigger, so just keep your eyes peeled. If you can, I would suggest VS clarity if you are shopping online and can't see the stone before purchase. Then you should be safer.

Anyway...for $25k from Tiffany, I'd estimate maybe a 1.75c stone depending on your color and clarity requirements.

Good luck! With your budget, you have a huge range of possibilities! Have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions as you go along. I would highly suggest visiting a Tiffany store to see what they have to offer you...you may be surprised when you compare their items against the online pricing and potentials. Whether its a good surprise or bad remains to be seen!!
1.gif

gemlove

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

For our engagement 15 years ago, my husband bought me a Tiffany RBC 2.57ct RBC H color VVS1 center stone flanked by two diamond baguettes in a classsic Tiffany platinum setting. That was before they came out with the super ideal cuts. Last Christmas we shopped and shopped (locally) for a pair of 4+ carats diamond studs. I wanted superior quality diamonds because once you have a great diamond, it is hard to want to wear anything less. That was when I first heard and saw the super ideal cuts. To tell you the truth, my Tiffany diamond(presumably an ideal cut diamond itself)looked pretty darn good next to a Hearts and Arrows super ideal cut in term of fire and brilliance. The jeweler kindly cleaned and steamed my ring before we did the visual comparison. My husband and I looked really carefully and neither one of us could say that the Hearts and Arrows diamond was sparklier than my diamond. The seller was trying too hard saying that the Heart and Arrows we looked at was VS, he did not have a VVS1 in the 2.5+ carats range for us to compare with and he was sure a VVS Hearts and Arrows would look even nicer. After that interesting experience, we decided to do a little more research on the internet to find out more about the super ideal cuts.

Well I fianlly decided on a purchase last week after 5 months of research and here is the basis of my decision : if I can see superior visual performance in the super ideal cuts, I'd be glad to pay premium $ for it. But I could not, so the focus of my search was to get two great ideal cut matching diamonds that look just as good as my Tiffany diamond. I started my search by looking at Hearts and Arrow diamonds in the 2+ carat range on Pricescope and wrote down all the dimensions: measurements, depth%, table%, crown%, pavillion%, etc. Then I narrowed my Pricescope searches on certified non-Hearts and arrows stones based on depth% and table % that are similar to hearts and Arrow meausurements. I used 60-62% depth and 53-58% table. I then looked up dealers with the lowest prices on Pricescope, researched their feedbacks, then called and interviewed 3 of them before selecting a dealer to work with. Yesterday I picked up my 4.06ct RBC ideal cut studs bought from ADOL set in platinum with extra large La-Pousette backs, they sparkle just like my Tiffany diamond, the fire and brilliance are just incredible. I saved myself an unbelievable $30,000 at least.

My advice to you is, first budget at least 2 to 3 thousand dollars for a really nice setting, believe me a great setting cost a lot and they are worth it. Don't skimp on it. If you want diamonds in the setting, you may need to spend more there. Then what is left of your budget, decide the color and clarity grades. Personally I would stick to a VS quality, visually they look just as VVS to me so why spend extra. Color is personal. "H" color is very white looking to me, I can't tell the differnce between H and G. But some people like the super icy D,E,F grades. You do have to pay extra for a higher color. But choose an indeal cut diamond, the cut is so very important. Stick to none or faint flourescence. Just look and look on Pricescope. Get a Hearts and Arrows diamond if you do not want to do all the work researching. I must say "psychologically" it feels good to say I wear a Tiffany diamond. I am sure for the people that bought Hearts and Arrows or any branded super ideal cut diamond, they feel that way too. But last time I checked at Tiffany's (around Christmas time), a single diamond similar to mine costs over $50,000. Even a Hearts and Arrows won't cost that much. Tiffany's prices are like double the retail prices. It feels really good to know that I saved all that money, I am laughing all the way to the bank. Best of luck and have fun shopping!

Gemlove
appl.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On 5/1/2003 12
6.gif
4:34 PM giftgoddess wrote:

"basically i am looking for some educated opinions on how to best spend 25k on a ring."

Ah.... This is fun. I never had 25K to spend on one stone. I do own an E color VS clarity stone of about 2.10- 2.20 carats, though. (GIA cert.) The cut is not ideal.

If I had the money *I* would buy a "D" color in VS clarity with a good cut, if not ideal (and I might get an ideal cut). I would get the largest I *could* get in VS D good cut.

I say "the largest I could get" knowing it wouldn't be a 3 carat stone. I wouldn't want one that big!! I felt the stone I described above was too big for a ring and had it reset as a pendant. (Uh...due to Shrinking Diamond Syndrome that size ring is no longer too large for me. I got used to wearing a 1.678 carat and now feel the 2.10 or whatever it was would be a good size for a ring :).)

read.gif

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
25K - I could spend it with ease
Find just what I want-as quick as a breeze!

Here in this forum, you'll get free advice
From folks that are experts, helpful and nice.

Good luck and enjoy the search!
wavey.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
$25? Not enough! Gimme $40k!!
1.gif

Wow 4c diamond studs...my maid of honor has some of those as well. Her parents bought them for her about 5 years ago (25th bday). Boy I sure was jealous!!
1.gif
But now that I know more about diamonds, I don't think they are the best cut (though of course I would never say a thing). They sure are huge though!

When I am bored at times, I surf around Blue Nile and Ashford and other sites to see their $80k 3-4c D/E IF/VVS stones. Kinda fun. There is also the site in .au, I think it is ice.au or something like that, they have a special set of amazing set diamonds in old plat antique settings. The diamonds are things like 7c cushion cuts and other things you see the stars wearing. Definitely drool material.

1.gif
Congrats on your amazing new studs. Glad to see ADOL represented as well--they are not mentioned that much on Pscope and the stones from pix we have seen are great.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Basically, you need to come up with the very basics of what is important to *you*.

What size range? What size does your eyes say - this is perfect?

What color range? Do you like the stark look of an icey white stone? Do you prefer something warmer? Can you tell the difference? Is that difference worth the money to you?

What clarity range? Will it bug the heck out of you to see any imperfections?

Any specific wants in a stone?

At the very least, what is your goal? Is it obtaining a pretty ring to wear & enjoy? Or, are the specs of the stone important?

What are your priorities w/ the 4c's? Most will probably say put cut first. I believe that to be fairly paramount; but, I draw the line at needing super luper duper ideals (unless they are Trichrome's brand).

Regarding the Tiffany setting - as I stated before I find it hard to accept that a mastercraftsman can not duplicate (or for that matter improve upon) *that* setting.

It's great to have a budget. But, that really only gives you a starting point.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/1/2003 12:23:12 PM Final Cut wrote:

I will end up spending $20k on a gorgeous ring in a plat Vatche setting with side baguettes, but then again I think that is going to be a great ring. ----------------

It is a great setting. My stone is set in that very same one. Does the 2 1/2 center come w/ the .70 TW side baguettes? The proportions are correct for that size center stone. Also, keep in mind that the stone will sit fairly low. It's an elegant great end result.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results