shape
carat
color
clarity

Seen any Green, Brown, Cognac diamonds in pave?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chamelyin

Rough_Rock
Hellooooooo Everybody!
I''ve been lurking for awhile, but find myself needing help & ideas as we continue to design my dream e-ring. Engmt not announced yet; so I can''t turn to family & friends! Helllllp!

I''ve nearly convinced myself to use a .75-.80 round from my great-grandmother''s platinum deco setting. I''ll replace it with an interesting pad or tourmaline someday. I don''t have specs on it, but It''s a single cut, with a hint of body color. It''s not the rock y''all talk about, but I think it''ll look grand next to natural colored diamonds, and it does dazzle in a delicate, antique way... and I love it for it''s history.

I want a thin 1/2 bezel set slightly above a tapered eternity band of graduated light to dark greens (or greens to browns to cognac, I can''t decide ''till I see them) in fine pave. Same size stones, so a row of 3-4, then 2-3, etc. No sweat, right?
20.gif

Has ANYONE seen this family of colored diamonds, about .20, set in pave? Let alone the graduated color idea?? I can''t find an example anywhere, and I don''t know how many atttempts my patient jewwler will put up with.

I''m in the SF East Bay Area (Hi InnerKitten
35.gif
... we''re thinking of Tahoe too!... or Yosemite
36.gif
)
Ideas? Pix? Advice? Ref''s?

Thanks Thanks Thanks

-Chamelyin Girl

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad you asked this, ''cause I''ve been wondering the same thing. My inherited 2 ct omc diamond throws off some beautiful light but is not up to the color of the diamonds we often see here on ps. I still haven''t had it appraised but it won''t suprise me if it appraises as an M. But I love it and want to do all I can to make it look wonderful, so I''ve also wondered about colored pave or mele stones. Lets see what everyone has to say...(i''ve even been wondering about gemstones like aquamarine in the blue-green range)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2005 2:43:29 PM
Author:chamelyin
Has ANYONE seen this family of colored diamonds, about .20, set in pave?
It's been a while since I have seen a large single cut! Any chance you might show this one here ?
2.gif

Click HERE and run a search for "brown diamond" and "pave" - you should end up with a dozen or so brand names doing just this - colored pave. And not just colored diamonds - everything goes. Graduated color has been tried as well...
4.gif

foto03_b.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ColorPave.JPG

chamelyin

Rough_Rock
It''s been a while since I have seen a large single cut! Any chance you might show this one here ?
2.gif

Val: Thanks for the links! That was fun, tho I hafta say the designs that I was ''allowed'' (lotsa URL not found) to see were largely, errm, Italian. Which makes sense a''course... being Italian Vogue.
I''ll just have to keep you all apprised of what''s going on in my mind with shots of an evolving wax, I guess. And photos. Will need to move this over to Show Me The Ring soon.... I hope. I have the feeling this is going to be a long project.

And: Heck yeah I''ll post a pic of the original ring if you want to see it! We have an appointment to go see the 3rd batch of fancy greens & browns at my jewelers this week anyway. I''ll bring the digital. I need to document the transformation.

Fairfax: Thanks for being my cohort in using a beloved family stone! I''ll be very interested to see yours too, and it''s progress.
26.gif

''Night Both
12.gif

Thanks for the input.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2005 2:47:8 AM
Author: chamelyin

We have an appointment to go see the 3rd batch of fancy greens & browns at my jewelers this week anyway. I''ll bring the digital. I need to document the transformation.
Now that I looked twice... "green diamond pave" sounds very exotic. Are these natural color green !!!
23.gif

I''ve seen some stuff that might match the description, but the color is rather "bottle green".

chamelyin

Rough_Rock
Val: Yes, my Jeweler guarantees that we''re working with natural fancy colored diamonds. They are awfully reputable, I attended a seminar by a Mr. Amrish Sethi on natural diamonds at the store itself, and the stones themselves have a lot of subtle variation. Soooooo, I tend to believe them. The particualr rep we''re working with has also advised me that it would take awhile if we''re looking for stones that exactly match. Which I''m not. I like that they vary slightly.

The greens I''m attracted to are the sage, olivey tones. They are, thankfully, more available and more affordable than the deeper blue-greens. I''ve seen bottle green tones too, but they were all heated.

I wish I could find a picture of the color sequence I''m thinking of to show you.. most seem to stick to a color in a pave field, or use colors at intervals to change the the next. I''ll keep looking!
34.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
what an interesting and great idea! i, too, am drawn to the more sage and olive tone greens. you''ve given me some ideas to play with as regards my search for a stone to go with a george sawyer band. please continue to post your ideas and/or pictures as they become available.

peace, movie zombie

chamelyin

Rough_Rock
Mov Zom:
Kewl
36.gif

1 love when this happens; and it''s why I decided to post!
Funny, I got the idea for a makume (sp?) gane wedding band from seeing George Sawyer rings! Haven''t decided whether or not to put a green diamond in it, but I just may.. since I don''t think a band is going to sit well next to this e-ring, and I''ll need to wear it on right hand or something.
In fact, I saw a site that has gorgeous makume gane bands, some of which have a lovely single micro edge of tiny rb''s... I think a line of cognacs or greens would look terrific with the warmer mixes and ''wood'' patterns.
I''ll post the link when I get home from work, K?

Please let me know, everybody, if I should post elsewhere or otherwise. Still a newbie rough
17.gif
here.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
chaim,

i''ve seen george sawyer wedding bands with various small color stones and one gorgeous engagement ring: green gold band with rose/red color bezel around a diamond. at first i didn''t care for it, but the more i looked at it, on my hand, the more i liked it.

we''re headed towards george''s ''h'' metal band: green, pink/red, and grey golds. i''ve seen spessartite against another of his metal combos and it was to die for: the orange stone brought out the metals, especially the silver tone.

i need to get out and see more stones before i settle on anything. that includes the champagne/cognacs. i did see a c5 and a c6 up against the ''h'' sawyer and while i liked it, i wasn''t sure if it melded too much colorwise. i would really like to see the whole c series of champagne/cognacs side by side. i did find a fairly good online comparison but i think there is nothing like seeing them ''live''.

can''t wait for your post! and its interesting to find someone that is researching some similar ideas.

peace, movie zombie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
oops, that should have been cham, not chaim, short for chamelyin!

sorry about that!

peace, movie zombie

chamelyin

Rough_Rock
Hey Movie Zombie,

Don''t sweat the Chaim.. ''sides, I called you Mov Zom
25.gif

I went & checked out the George Sawyer H... gorgeous!! I like the B too. Didn''t see any colored stones set on his web site, but did see the
30.gif
e-ring in 1/2 bezel. Gawd!!

Here''s the site I promised:http://www.krikawa.com/rings/engagement-rings/mokume-engagement-rings.htm
and a sample.. it''s contrasty, but fun, huh?

If you ever get down to the Bay Area, I highly recommend my jeweler, Pave Fine Jewelry on College Ave, Oakland. Just to chech ''em out. Tracy there has been a doll to bring in all the natural fancies that she can so I can cherry pick for this project.

Oh hey, I really like your tag line, btw.  I''ve been tring & trying to explain the colors in my mind to FI, and it wasn''t until we passed some pines cross country skiing last weekend that I coulnd show him the greens, golds, browns, and cognacs that occur in just one winter tree! He finally got it.

I''ll post pix when I can
19.gif

R-Set-ShakCognac_tn.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, this is a test....i got my husband to help with this as i am not the geek in the family!

george sawyer ''h'' band next to my ever so humble plain but sentimental and i''ll always wear it wedding band with a c5 champagne next to it.

it was a good attempt by the store but i don''t think the picture does it justice...but i''m still not totally satisfied that this is where i''m headed. and i''m not sure if i''ll do two separate rings [engagement and wedding band] or not. i definitely will be checking out the greens and will make the attempt to get up to oakland. i get to sf at least once a month so i guess i need to plan a trip across the bridge! chame, thanks for the tip re your jeweler!

i''ve seen red and blue stones as well as a yellow diamond set in sawyer settings but never at the same store.

my husband really loves the ''h'' colors and will also be getting a wedding band, probably with some small stones. the idea is to have the rings for our 2nd anniversary, december 30 of this year.

peace, movie zombie

Tony 007e.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, now, it looks like we should have reduced the size of the picture! but you get the idea!

peace, movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2005 4:42:23 AM
Author: movie zombie

george sawyer ''h'' band ...with a c5 champagne next to it.
Wow! The color match between diamond and band is so impressive.
Is this the first time you are posting about the brown diamonds ? Where are they from ?

Even if you do not end up with a champagne diamond, any stone of this color would make such a great pair for the Sawyer band
9.gif

MV1.JPG

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
valeria 101 aka ana,

i''ve posted re my search in a couple of different threads but was more concerned at the time about the lack of support i was getting from the jeweler i was working with regarding getting an assortment of stones to look at so i could decide if i wanted a white diamond or a color stone of one sort or another. i''ve gotten some good leads from searching pricescope and innerkitten gave me some good leads.

this c5 is a 1.12 vs or SI...there was no certificate but i was told it could be ''appraised'' if i wanted. it was not in the store, they had it brought in along with a c6 for me to see. sort of reluctantly, i believe. i think the employee i''m dealing with thought he had me sold on a ring i had seen earlier and that i was the sort to just walk in and buy.

i''d really like to see the entire champagne/cognac range side by side. this stone had lots of ''lines'' in it that looked like scratches but may just be inclusions and lots of bubbles. cost: $5600...or so i was told. i had seen a small yellow diamond before but not a champagne. i really was concerned that perhaps it was too much the same tone as the band so i appreciate your feedback.

also, several weeks before when in the same store, i had seen a spessartite up against what i thought was a george sawyer ''h'' band....but i now know it wasn''t the ''h'' and may well have been the ''b''. the spess was absolutely gorgeous up against that band! and i mean GORGEOUS! i''d like to see the spess up against the ''h'' but herein lies the rub: spess and other stones are not the property of the store but the property of an employee [ex-employee?] looking to sell his excess inventory and are not available at the store for viewing unless they make special arrangements.

i''ve been broken out with a bad case of poison oak for the last 1.5 weeks, otherwise i''d have been out looking at some stores in the bay area. i have spoken with a couple of people that seem interested in helping me explore color with the george sawyer. and, in fact, i''ve spoken with george''s gallery and they are interested in helping me obtain a stone once i figure out what i want.

i still want to see an 8* and some other white diamonds and cuts, but i think my heart belongs to color!

peace, movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Orange garnet (or sapphire ?) would definitely look fantastic with the band.... and a diamond of the same super orange color would probably be called "vivid" something.

Perhaps something like this
4.gif

5154papspess.jpg
5064ysapph.jpg

It''s not that I am obsessed with concave cutting, but a small stone would definitely gain brilliance this way... and these two warm colors happened to be there
2.gif

How about a fancy diamond of comparable color
9.gif
set into the band ? If the makers of the Sawyer band can help...
For color and price refference on such a thing Facydiamonds.net seems useful; starting with THIS perhaps. There are others, of even better color that would probably fit on a band.

From the photo, the diamond looks "orange-brown" or "yellowish brown" (by IGI lingo, I am not familiar with what GIA calls "champagne" diamonds) and rather deep cut. Top clarity is harder to find, but eye clean SI are not all that rare. Honestly, I would have expected more brown diamond for 5k
11.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Turning to diamonds...
34.gif

One 2.3 cts princess comes about $3.5k and a one carat oval below $2k, if you like the colder browns. It was the orange overtone that brought your stone at a higher price point. If you are not particular to the shade, the whole story changes, as far as I know.

2.29ct710GNEWbig-e.jpg

As for the orange diamond dot... Here's what my enthusiasm was all about - hopefully not uncalled for.
4.gif

SOR50.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
valeria101/anna,

yes, the two richard homer colors are possible...i was originally drawn to richar homer''s concave stones but i''m not sure the cut isn''t ''too busy'' considering the band will have texture and color going on. i''d like to see a richard homer ''up close and personal'' before i would actually ordered one.

the people at george sawyer''s gallery are willing to work with me directly so i''m not locked into having to go through a retailer who just isn''t into what it is i''m about. so setting a stone into the band is possible. i''m not sure yet, though, if i want one big wide wedding band with at least a 1 carat stone or a smaller band like seen on my finger with some melees scattered on it and then a separate ''engagement'' ring with a bigger stone on it.

i, too, thought $5600 was a bit much for this particular c5. it really did sparkle and shine but given the price, i expected a bit more clairity when viewed through a scope. it is my understanding that c5 is just about ''perfect'' color wise as c1 is extremely light and c7 very very dark. but i want to see them anyway!

i can get a good spess of decent size for less. i''m afraid orange diamonds may be very pricey. and i want to see some of those green/bronze type colors too.

but i do think i''m finally headed in the right direction. i''m assuming that clarity, cut, etc. are still important for a so called ''fancy'' champagne diamond?

i want a ring that sing and pop with personality and sizzle. but i also want something i can wear everyday, except perhaps when gardening.

love yoursuggestions! let me know if you have any other ideas!

peace, movie zombie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

wow, wow, and wow again, ana!

i didn''t see your 2nd post with the princess cut and the bezeled sawyer before sending my last one!

i''m thinking a bezel in pink/red gold.....but i love the simplicity of the look!

not locked into any color yet...just the george sawyer ''h'' band. not sure what i think of the princess cut. like the color....is it also a champagne?

i really appreciate your help!

peace, movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2005 1:43:48 AM

not sure what i think of the princess cut. like the color....is it also a champagne?
Well, depends whom you ask
12.gif
As far as I know, "Champagne" is just as precise a word as "canary" for yellow diamonds. It means exactly what the user wants for the moment. The Argile color scale uses the word, but GIA does not. The delimitation between "fancy" and colored but not "fancy" is GIA's. Perhaps some "champagne" are "fancy" in GIA's sense and some are not: those called "brownish-something" (as opposed to "something-brown") are "fancy", perhaps other versions are called the magic word as well.

It's more a question of price tag and certification, IMO. Allot of these stones do not even have a cert. The most I see locally (Bucharest, Romania) have IGI certs. Since debatable shades of certified color make sensible price difference, it seems important to show sme paper for the price. At least if you are interested in more than just the looks of the stone.

David of DBL could help with this one... if he would care to comment.
2.gif
Look what he found lately ! LINK

Not sure how much sense all this makes - there's no official correspondence between these grades of brown that I know of. For what that matters, if I wanted to match the color in your photos I would ask for "dark yellow brown" or "dark orange-brown".

I couldn't know if the picture below matches the object, but it does match my impression of what the color name means. Those are "fancy dark orange brown" - 6 carats total for $16k. Cool or what!
A colder brown brought the price down allot: $5500 for 4 carats (total)...

6.55ctFDBpair-icon-e.jpg
and the cold brown
4.26ct353FCicon.jpg

If you ever wonder what happens if the "dark" dissapears from the color name, here it is: fancy orange brown as opposed to the "fancy dark" of the princesses above:

6.31cicon-FBO-PAIR.jpg

I wish you could see some of these "in flesh"...
15.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
valeria 101/ana,

based on your trio of ''pairs'', i think i like the orange browns with or without the ''fancy'' label. the cool brown is interesting but not with the sawyer ''h''.

i love the $28k ring on eBay......and although we can afford something with that price tag, i just am way tooooooooo practical to spend that kind of $$$ when i know 1- i can get something great for less [always the bargain hunter!] and 2- i want to be able to wear it pretty much 24/7. but that is some ring! especially the center stone......did you see the brown stone he doesn''t like and refers to in his own words as a ''turd''?! gotta admire a seller that can be that honest about his merchandise.

peace, movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2005 2:40:4 PM

......did you see the brown stone he doesn't like and refers to in his own words as a 'turd' ?
Lots of DBL Ebay posts are soooo darn funny ! I am green with envy for whoever writes them... Really. The funny part here... well, I can't say I hate the darn rock.
28.gif

Not to mention these guys from the same source
4.gif

coffeeasscher.jpg
26_2.JPG

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, reading some of the descriptions on DBL eBay was a hoot! and, i didn''t actually HATE his ''turd'' stone....but i wasn''t entirely smitten with it either. however, of the last two you posted, i do like the left brown square EC!

so many stones, so little time!

peace, movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results