shape
carat
color
clarity

$250 to spend for Christmas gift-jewelry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
My DH has been given the task of buying my Christmas gift from my mom who is now in assisted living and just can''t do her own Christmas shopping anymore. So, he''ll be getting a a check for $250 to spend on me from her. I would really like jewelry but $250 does not strike me as enough money to buy much of anything. (I''m certainly not ungrateful, it''s just that unfortunately $250 doesn''t buy much jewelry-wise) I don''t want to add any money to the $250 because that might offend my mom. Any ideas for jewelry that you''ve seen lately that isn''t too pricey? I''m open to pretty much anything but don''t want it to look cheap. Thanks!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good heavens, I think I could find a zillion things in that range. Just go window shopping until something catches your eye. How fun!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know tiffany is overpriced, but maybe some silver stuff from there? You could definitely get something for that price, and they do have some simple pretty things.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
These are $185 and seem pretty versatile...

15838809_html_med_over.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
or what about these? $225

18530899_FL_LRG.jpg

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh I have that first pair of Tiffany teardrop earrings TG posted... I wear them with EVERYTHING... can''t remember the last time I changed them, actually!! They''re comfortable too, for sleeping or exercising (who am I kidding... I haven''t exercised in ages
2.gif
)... so I have to agree, definitely versatile. I have the matching bracelet, too, and wear it all the time!

marvel

Brilliant_Rock

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Why on earth would you think it would offend your mom? Surely the point is that she would want you to love it! love it! love it! and wear it often- in the case of jewelery- and so it could be a joint present from you, your hubby, and her, to you. What''s on your wish list?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2006 6:24:04 PM
Author: ephemery1
Ooooh I have that first pair of Tiffany teardrop earrings TG posted... I wear them with EVERYTHING... can''t remember the last time I changed them, actually!! They''re comfortable too, for sleeping or exercising (who am I kidding... I haven''t exercised in ages
2.gif
)... so I have to agree, definitely versatile. I have the matching bracelet, too, and wear it all the time!
Ephemery, you don''t by any chance to have any pics wearing them do you? I am trying to figure out how big they are. I need some everyday earrings that won''t irritate my ears and was thinking of maybe asking for those for my bday. Thanks!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think there is anything wrong with you adding a few bucks of your own, I just wouldn''t tell her that part as it''s not necessary. I mean, if you buy something for $260 plus tax you aren''t going to make a big deal out of it. Right? And although $250 is a nice budget and a very thoughtful gift from your mom, if you have enough stuff at the $250 range and don''t want to get something that isn''t really special, I see no reason why not to add.

If someone gives you a red sweater that''s worth $20 and you exchange it becasue it''s too small but find a green sweater that fits perfectly for $40 would you feel badly getting it? Of course don''t go out and get an obviously much more expensive item but jewelry varies so much and its impossible to tell a $20,000 tiffany from an $10,000 ideal GOG...get my point?

And then let us all help you shop!!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2006 8:22:11 PM
Author: swingirl
I don''t think there is anything wrong with you adding a few bucks of your own, I just wouldn''t tell her that part as it''s not necessary. I mean, if you buy something for $260 plus tax you aren''t going to make a big deal out of it. Right? And although $250 is a nice budget and a very thoughtful gift from your mom, if you have enough stuff at the $250 range and don''t want to get something that isn''t really special, I see no reason why not to add.

If someone gives you a red sweater that''s worth $20 and you exchange it becasue it''s too small but find a green sweater that fits perfectly for $40 would you feel badly getting it? Of course don''t go out and get an obviously much more expensive item but jewelry varies so much and its impossible to tell a $20,000 tiffany from an $10,000 ideal GOG...get my point?

And then let us all help you shop!!!!
I agree! BTW, overstock.com has some lovely platinum earrings with pearls attached for (I think) either $199 or $299. I''ve been lusting over them for awhile!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
there''s lots you can get in that budget! I''d check out tiffany silver - maybe the bean necklace. I''d also check out the smallest size diamond stud earrings from WF ready set to go - I think they start around $250! Another idea, you could also possibly get a small diamond set bezel style a la DBTY for a necklace.

Very nice and generous of your mom!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I think I need all of you to be my personal shoppers. Some nice ideas you all gave me. I guess I could chip in more if there''s something a bit more expensive that I''d rather have. I just wouldn''t want her to feel like it wasn''t her gift to me because I''d paid for part of it. But you''re right, to a point she probably wouldn''t know anyway.

I''m not even sure what''s on my wishlist LisaC. I had a good year as far as jewelry is oncerned. I got an upgraded e-ring this year. I also just had Whiteflash''s halo bezel put around my old engagement diamond so I can wear it as a pendant. And I do already have diamond studs. Sooo, I''m not sure. I do wear a lot of silver, so perhaps I''ll check out Tiffany''s. I also like pearls so I''ll have to give that some thought.

I appreciate all of your ideas and the pictures. Thanks!!!!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/21/2006 8:01:57 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 11/21/2006 6:24:04 PM
Ooooh I have that first pair of Tiffany teardrop earrings TG posted... I wear them with EVERYTHING... can't remember the last time I changed them, actually!! They're comfortable too, for sleeping or exercising (who am I kidding... I haven't exercised in ages
2.gif
Ephemery, you don't by any chance to have any pics wearing them do you? I am trying to figure out how big they are. I need some everyday earrings that won't irritate my ears and was thinking of maybe asking for those for my bday. Thanks!
I have REALLY wonky ears (plastic surgery when I was 8 to repair stick-out ears!
23.gif
) so you should take this as a high compliment that I felt compelled to do this for you, TG...
31.gif
They really are awesome earrings though... I've probably worn them for about 2 solid years, asleep and awake... and only substituted them out maybe twice for something dressier, depending on the occasion. Mine seem considerably bigger than the ones in the original pic though... are there different sizes available? They were a gift so I have no idea...

EphTiffEar2.jpg

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I love those earrings! I know someone with them and they look great in person as well. And ephemery your ears look fine! :)

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 9:31:40 AM
Author: gailrmv
I love those earrings! I know someone with them and they look great in person as well. And ephemery your ears look fine! :)
Hehe.... thanks, Gail! I've almost gotten over being sensitive about them... until they're suddenly magnified on the computer screen in front of me!
32.gif

It looks like there is a larger size available (the "elongated" teardrop earrings) but the Tiffany's website only shows them in gold now... they must have had silver at some point, cause I'm thinking mine definitely look larger than the ones above.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 9:39:59 AM

Date: 11/22/2006 9:31:40 AM
Author: gailrmv
Hehe.... thanks, Gail! I''ve almost gotten over being sensitive about them... until they''re suddenly magnified on the computer screen in front of me!
32.gif

It looks like there is a larger size available (the ''elongated'' teardrop earrings) but the Tiffany''s website only shows them in gold now... they must have had silver at some point, cause I''m thinking mine definitely look larger than the ones above.
Thanks ephemery...I definitely am honored you did that for me.
2.gif
I like them a lot, and they look great on your fantastic ears! They do look longer than in the pix, so I think you are right...there must have been a bigger one at the time. I think I will checkout and see what the little ones look like.

You''re awesome!
36.gif

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa I just had a look at your lovely ring again
3.gif
Didn''t see a photo of your pendant though...
What would you wear more? A necklace, a bracelet or a ring? I agree Tiffany''s do have some lovely silver pieces and American pearl have some pretty rings with single 7.5 mm akoya pearls...

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
this may not be your style at all, but jennifer meyer has these really thin (yellow) gold rings with a tiny diamond or tiny piece of turquoise. i think one of each would like nice on same finger. they''re 125 each. i couldn''t copy the pic but they''re under collections and then rings at http://www.jennifermeyerjewelry.com/.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
JustJulia, Wasn''t your avatar a black cat? You must have a doggie too.

Ephemery, those are neat earrings-very simple but classic.

Lisa, I haven''t gotten around to posting a pic of my Whiteflash pendant but I am very pleased with it. I guess I really wouldn''t mind a ring.

Nejarb, I have been in to white metals a bit more lately but I do still wear my yellow gold. Those stackable rings in 18k are very cool. That may be a possibility. Of course, there''s no store that carries her jewelry near me so I''d have to just order them. She''s got some neat stuff by the way.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How sweet of your mom!
30.gif

Oh, the things I could do with $250. Have you ever checked out an AWESOME jewelry store called Ylang? They have beautiful and unique pieces at every price range and you can also shop by sorting in the "under $150" or "$150-500" ranges:

Here's a link to the $150-500:
http://www.ylang23.com/shop.cfm?ShopBy=Price&Price=150
Keep in mind that these things are not sorted cheapest to most expensive, you have to scroll through all the pages to see everything.

Personally, I loooove Me & Ro silver jewelry. Ten Thousand Things is also awesome and at the right price point. Trust me, you WILL find something amazingly gorgeous on this site!
1.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, KristyDarling that website has a HUGE amount of jewelry-thanks for the headsup. I started looking but decided I'm going to have to go back when I have more time to peruse. I'm feeling guilty being on the Internet when I should be doing some Thanksgiving preparations.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 3:28:43 PM
Author: Cind11
JustJulia, Wasn't your avatar a black cat? You must have a doggie too.

Lisa, I haven't gotten around to posting a pic of my Whiteflash pendant but I am very pleased with it. I guess I really wouldn't mind a ring.

Nejarb, I have been in to white metals a bit more lately but I do still wear my yellow gold. Those stackable rings in 18k are very cool. That may be a possibility. Of course, there's no store that carries her jewelry near me so I'd have to just order them. She's got some neat stuff by the way.
Hehe, yes, I have 4 Chihuahua's and a rottie/lab mix... and 5 cats. Somehow, they all love each other. I just had to show my little Nutmeg off. That's my avatar.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2006 5:04:19 PM
Author: justjulia

Lisa, I haven''t gotten around to posting a pic of my Whiteflash pendant but I am very pleased with it. I guess I really wouldn''t mind a ring.

Nejarb, I have been in to white metals a bit more lately but I do still wear my yellow gold. Those stackable rings in 18k are very cool. That may be a possibility. Of course, there''s no store that carries her jewelry near me so I''d have to just order them. She''s got some neat stuff by the way.
Hehe, yes, I have 4 Chihuahua''s and a rottie/lab mix... and 5 cats. Somehow, they all love each other. I just had to show my little Nutmeg off. That''s my avatar.
Wow, you have quite a menagerie. My 14 year old daughter says that sometimes some of the boys at her school give her a hard time because we have 4 cats. I can''t imagine what they''d do if we had 10 pets. Cute little dog in your avatar.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2006 10:14:31 PM

Date: 11/22/2006 5:04:19 PM
Author: justjulia

Hehe, yes, I have 4 Chihuahua''s and a rottie/lab mix... and 5 cats. Somehow, they all love each other. I just had to show my little Nutmeg off. That''s my avatar.
Wow, you have quite a menagerie. My 14 year old daughter says that sometimes some of the boys at her school give her a hard time because we have 4 cats. I can''t imagine what they''d do if we had 10 pets. Cute little dog in your avatar.
Thank you! My husband is always telling people that one chihuahua equals an 1/8th of a real dog. So, really, we have 1 and a half dogs. hee hee Our animals "happened" to us. The rottie was an emergency that our vet contacted us about-someone dropped off a pregnant dog to her and wanted their dog back without the puppies!!!! That day!!! She did a c section and took all ten and we adopted and bottle fed one!!!! The Chihuahuas started as 2 and had 2--a family. 2 cats came from teachers and we found 2 in a box in the middle of a windy mountain road at night! The other one was brought up to me at a school dripping wet and half dead-found by a 1st grader under a bush (I teach). So, they are all acquired by one quirky way or another.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
JustJulia, I love to hear about people who take in animals that need homes. There are SO many of them. You sound like a "good deed doer". LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results