shape
carat
color
clarity

23andme genetic testing: anyone do this?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the newer testers:

For Ancestry part:

23@me is using the newer version of the chip, V5, it is not compatible with Germatch (Gedmatch is the database where people who tested in different commercial systems “meet” to compare DNA). There is a beta version of Gedmatch, Gedmatch Genesis, that accepts data from V5 chip 23@me. Try it as we probably shall be uploading our data from Ancestry and FTDNA, too. It is possible that some other databases, such as My Heritage, accept the latest 23@me results.

Also, it is very important to test the oldest generation possible -parents and grandparents.

For health:

After you get your results, download your data into Promethease.com, for 5 dollars they will read all your genome. It is the database, the SNPedia of all genes known today.
I also use LiveWello.

DNA.land is a Princeton-based company studying breast cancer genes. In the pink spirit, please download your DNA there and answer if you have or don’t have family history of breast cancer (they need both groups, women and men). It may give you some additional relatives, and it might help those who do suffer from the illness.

There are several Facebook groups, I remember DNA detectives, but there are many others, for those interested in genealogy studies.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Threadjack. I watched a segment of Tucker Carlson last night that showed them doing a test of what your phone uploads to Google and it was frightening. They had two phones and wandered all over town, one in airplane mode and one not. The one in airplane mode uploaded more info with pinpoint location accuracy even if they were walking or driving. :x2 I hate this crap.

Is there an online version of this anywhere?

This is the reason I'm running an ancient smartphone and @kenny runs an old-school throwaway basic phone!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did it two years ago. I did the full thing, then I downloaded my full code and loaded it into https://promethease.com/ for far more in depth and constantly updated medical information. It's nice to know what I might be susceptible to so I can keep and eye on any symptoms that come up. It's also amazing to see HOWCLOSE I am, genetically speaking, to several illnesses that people in my family suffer, various autoimmune.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other cool thing I learned is that I have a greater proportion of fast twitch muscle fibers than most people. Apparently they have done studies and found that this is common among elite athletes. I skated and skied for years and years, but no one ever mistook me for an Olympian lol.
My son has this too. He’s 23, clumsy as hell and can’t even ride a bike! Lord we tried to teach him! He always had (has) his head in a book. We love him for it. :kiss2:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't bother we did our dog. It was a total joke 50% mixed breed and there was a 4 equal sections of 12.5% different breeds that are pretty unlikely.. it was an 84$ laugh..
This is very disappointing. My dog is a mystery... she is definitely border collie and shepherd, but she has this tail that is curled upward and she talks to people as if she knows english. I wanted to see if she was indeed part human. :mrgreen2:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son has this too. He’s 23, clumsy as hell and can’t even ride a bike! Lord we tried to teach him! He always had (has) his head in a book. We love him for it. :kiss2:

Lol. It took me a long time to be able to ride a bike. I still have bad memories of crashing into a bush with sharp thorns. And don't even think about me playing a sport that uses spherical objects.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is very disappointing. My dog is a mystery... she is definitely border collie and shepherd, but she has this tail that is curled upward and she talks to people as if she knows english. I wanted to see if she was indeed part human. :mrgreen2:
I'll try to t rtack the result down it's floating around in an email somewhere... and post his picture and you can tell me why u think. I think exact divisions and the fact that it says 0% terrier when he clearly looks terrier threw us off.
Maybe your dog is part huskie.. they are big talkers..

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've read there are pricing tiers.
The lowest price (the one most people choose) gives you little or no privacy rights when it comes to what the company can do with your genetic info.
Insurance companies can buy it to avoid insuring people with higher odds of developing expensive illnesses.
Employers can buy it so they only hire people with what they consider to be good genes.
Perhaps the government wants it too.

Creepy! :knockout:

Supposedly the highest price offers the highest privacy.
But even then, 12 yr old boys in their bedrooms have been known to hack into our country's most important supposedly secure databases.

I won't do it.
Besides, why bother?
Where my ancestors came from is not important, and certainly not worth the risk of getting screwed over by Big Data.

Last edited:

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We did the ancestry one and nothing surprising came up. It was what we figured from the geneology we already know but i would have liked some relatives outside of the usual northern european countries.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found out I came from Tunisia, Africa (which I visited before the test) ; migrated up the Iberian peninsula to Scandinavia. I tested as a V24. Probably Saami from Norway. Migrated over Doggerland to Scotland and then to Ireland. We knew the Irish and guessed the Scottish. We have blonde/red hair genes so we figured Viking at some point. I’m redoing with the National Geographic genome project so 8 weeks till I get that result. My fathers side we knew was German , my brother tested the most common R sub clade in Europe but is not really sharing results.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've read there are pricing tiers.
The lowest price (the one most people choose) gives you little or no privacy rights when it comes to what the company can do with your genetic info.
Insurance companies can buy it to avoid insuring people with higher odds of developing expensive illnesses.
Employers can buy it so they only hire people with what they consider to be good genes.
Perhaps the government wants it too.

Creepy! :knockout:

Supposedly the highest price offers the highest privacy.
But even then, 12 yr old boys in their bedrooms have been known to hack into our country's most important supposedly secure databases.

I won't do it.
Besides, why bother?
Where my ancestors came from is not important, and certainly not worth the risk of getting screwed over by Big Data.

I was watching a video yesterday that mentioned the risks e.g medical insurance. I'm in the UK so that wouldn't really apply to me (YET) but I have my reservations over privacy. It is fascinating though.
:confused:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: my DNA couldn’t be extracted from my spit so they are sending me a new kit to try again. If it happens again that they can’t extract DNA, then I am one of the rare people who don’t shed enough DNA through spit to be tested.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Update: my DNA couldn’t be extracted from my spit so they are sending me a new kit to try again. If it happens again that they can’t extract DNA, then I am one of the rare people who don’t shed enough DNA through spit to be tested.

My husband is in the same boat! He just sent his new kit back. I hope you both get a hit the second time :)

I got my results about a week ago. To recap: I'm adopted, no info on background, so it was a curiosity thing. People in general peg me as German.

I didn't test positive for any of the health carrier variants.

I was described as being 100% European, about half of that was NW European populations (mostly British & Irish) and a little more than a quarter was Southern European.

The biggest surprise... 15% Ashkenazi Jewish! Report says I likely I have a 100% Ashkenazi Jewish grand or great grandparent born between 1860-1920.

DNA Relatives reported 1000+ members somewhat distantly related to me. The closest are 5 second cousins (so, we share a set of great grandparents, and we would have a parent who was first cousins with each other).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I didn't realize this was a possibility. Hope the second time around works for you @whitewave!

My husband is in the same boat! He just sent his new kit back. I hope you both get a hit the second time :)

I got my results about a week ago. To recap: I'm adopted, no info on background, so it was a curiosity thing. People in general peg me as German.

I didn't test positive for any of the health carrier variants.

I was described as being 100% European, about half of that was NW European populations (mostly British & Irish) and a little more than a quarter was Southern European.

The biggest surprise... 15% Ashkenazi Jewish! Report says I likely I have a 100% Ashkenazi Jewish grand or great grandparent born between 1860-1920.

DNA Relatives reported 1000+ members somewhat distantly related to me. The closest are 5 second cousins (so, we share a set of great grandparents, and we would have a parent who was first cousins with each other).

Wow so interesting. And welcome to the tribe!:sun:

I am waiting to get some new info re the BRCA gene. Might take a few weeks or a few months. I am a bit anxious but decided it is info worth getting since it is available and if one tests positive early treatment can save your life.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The biggest surprise... 15% Ashkenazi Jewish! Report says I likely I have a 100% Ashkenazi Jewish grand or great grandparent born between 1860 - 1920

Same percentage here, but I knew about it already. Sadly it wasn't enough to save me from several weeks of dreadfully boring religious instruction in order to convert before marriage.

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I did it, and I also had some Ashkenazi Jew.

My husband‘s family has a story about being part Cherokee - turned out not to be true at all.

I was hoping to find some relatives, as I never knew either of my grandfathers or anyone in their extended families, but closest I got was a second cousin who hasn’t responded to my inquiries. I did Promethease, which was interesting, and I’m thinking of doing Ancestry in case there is some family there that is not on 23andMe. GEDMatch didn’t turn up anything interesting, but I tested on the new chip and used Genesis for matches, and I wonder if there might be people on the main GEDMatch page that turn up when the results all get synced.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update from me; I didn’t realize after several years of knowing my results that I had medical info in there! For $10 I uploaded my results onto Prometheuse.com and got most of what I would expect. I had markers for pancreatic cancer, which I had two years ago. I had markers for migraines, lactose intolerance, red hair, freckles, skin cancer, arthritis, myopia,restless leg, sun allergy...all of which I actually have. I also have many markers for longevity, very high good cholesterol, hard time metabolizing drugs and anesthesia. There are many other things on the list, most of which I hope never happen. It was quite spot on.
I recently did the National Geographic test which was more ethnic detailed. Suprisingly I was 1.3 % Jewish, a little Polynesian, Native American , French , Swedish and Danish. I don’t know anyone in my line from the US before 1890. I’m still V24. I’m related to Abraham Lincoln, Ben Franklin, Copernicus, Queen Victoria, Marie antionette, and Napoleon; 12,000 years back. Also I’m 1.8% Neanderthal. :lol-2:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great article, thanks!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I found out on Easter that several members of my family (some of my aunt's children and grandchildren) had done this testing. One of her grandchildren has had to be retested. Perhaps he had this problem. No one told me why he needed to be retested and it never occurred to me to ask. Interesting.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In another thread on genetics I questioned why Ashkenzi Jews were simply labelled as a group and their backgrounds not broken down more individually. I was assuming that some came from Germany and some came from Russia and that the roots of Ashkenazi Jews lay in both Europe and the Near East. I, therefore, so a failure not to break down the group more as sheer laziness on the part of the so-called genetic testers. I pursued my interest in this and found this article. I found it fascinating. Not that i understand it completely. Note the comment by one person that Ashkenazi Jews are all Italians! Also fascinating: that Icelanders are Norwegian men who enslaved Irish women!

https://www.the-scientist.com/?arti...21/title/Genetic-Roots-of-the-Ashkenazi-Jews/

AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This article in today's issue of "The New York Times" may be of interest to some people.

"How Genetics Is Changing Our Understanding of ‘Race’"...https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/...ight-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-right-region

I found one article in "The New York Times" about ancestry and race not too long ago (see above). Today I found another one, which was essentially a book review of a new book entitled Who We Are And How We Got Here. I will have to reread it because it is really not my field. I do find it fascinating, however. There appears to be much burgeoning research into DNA that is affecting knowledge about the origins of cultural groups of humans on earth. I am sure that anthropologists will want to assimilate the research being done by geneticists. My training was in history, but I have been out of the field for many years. I cannot begin to imagine how all this genetic information will inform the field of history.

Here is an excerpt from the book review:

"In 'Who We Are and How We Got Here,' Reich summarizes this rapidly advancing field. He begins with a crash course on genetics and DNA sequencing, then discusses the Neanderthals and 'ghost populations' whose existences are inferred from genetic evidence although they no longer exist. Most of the book then consists of chapters reconstructing the histories of modern Europeans, Indians, Native Americans, East Asians and Africans. Concluding chapters probe the controversial subject of race and identity, and prospects for new discoveries. I’ll illustrate Reich’s chapters with three examples: Neanderthals, Europeans and Polynesians.

First, let’s take the quintessential 'cave men,' the Neanderthals, who thrived in Europe for several hundred thousand years until modern Homo sapiens (our own species) arrived around 44,000 years ago. Within a few thousand years, the Neanderthals were extinct. That strongly suggests that our ancestors had much to do with it; murderers have been convicted on weaker circumstantial evidence. What happened when Neanderthals met our ancestors? Did they have sex and produce viable hybrids?"

The review continues with fascinating information one does not have to wait for the book to read!

Link to new book review in "The New York Times"...https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/20/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sent my sample back about 2 weeks ago,
And I did it before I brushed my teeth, so here’a
Hoping they get a good sample this time.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sent my sample back about 2 weeks ago,
And I did it before I brushed my teeth, so here’a
Hoping they get a good sample this time.

Fingers crossed for you whitewave. And then you can download your raw data to one of a few sites to interpret some of the raw genome. It’s super interesting.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Police Use Genealogy Websites to Nab Golden State Killer
Following family trees, police pursuing the Golden State Killer found Joseph James DeAngelo, a former cop.

Detectives hunting for the Golden State Killer got their man after climbing up and down dozens of online family trees in search of somebody who fit his profile and could be a DNA match, authorities told NBC News on Thursday.

The Sacramento investigators narrowed down their search to a 72-year-old former police officer named Joseph James DeAngelo after looking at the profiles that people exploring their family backgrounds posted on various websites that specialize in those kinds of searches, they said.

Six days after they zeroed in on DeAngelo, who lived in a Sacramento suburb, they slapped handcuffs on the man they believed terrorized California from 1974 to 1986 — a 12-year reign of terror during which a dozen people were killed, 45 women were raped, and more than 100 homes were burglarized.

DeAngelo was arrested on a warrant out of Ventura County in the murders of two people and is expected to make his first court appearance on Friday.

In announcing his arrest, police gave few details about how they captured DeAngelo, saying only that he had been under surveillance for six days and that they used "discarded DNA" to track him down.

"This was a true convergence of emerging technology and dogged determination by detectives," Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones said on Wednesday. "In this case justice was delayed. It wasn't swift but it will be sure."

Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Grippi shed new light Thursday on how DeAngelo was captured, confirming a report in the Sacramento Bee.

DNA from crime scenes was used to create a genetic profile, which was then matched with profiles available online from a commercial genealogy company.

Grippi said detectives followed clues to individuals in the family trees to determine whether they were potential suspects. They found distant relatives of DeAngelo's, and traced their DNA back to him.

Then, last week, after they settled on DeAngelo by looking at his age and where he had lived in California while the mysterious killer was sowing mayhem, they went to his home in Citrus Heights and obtained "his DNA from something he discarded," the paper reported.

It did not specify what it was.

Then they took that DNA sample and compared it with a DNA sample that had been taken from a crime scene many years ago.

When the crime lab confirmed the match on Monday, excited investigators began hatching a plan to arrest DeAngelo.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/police-used-genealogy-websites-nab-golden-state-killer-n869446

Reactions: AV_

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Police Use Genealogy Websites to Nab
Detectives hunting for the Golden State Killer got their man after climbing up and down dozens of online family trees in search of somebody who fit his profile and could be a DNA match, authorities told NBC News on Thursday.

The Sacramento investigators narrowed down their search to a 72-year-old former police officer named Joseph James DeAngelo after looking at the profiles that people exploring their family backgrounds posted on various websites that specialize in those kinds of searches, they said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/police-used-genealogy-websites-nab-golden-state-killer-n869446

I live in the Sacramento area - and I moved here during the height of the East Area Rapist's local spree - so I've been following this story and latest developments closely.

I've never had my DNA tested in large part because I know the information would be "out there" and I'd have no control over how it was used. I'm not usually overly concerned about privacy - I'm still on facebook! - but for some reason this is one area in which I decided against jumping into the pool because of privacy concerns.

Whether or not DeAngelo turns out to be the rapist and murderer, I suspect this case is going to really rev up a discussion about DNA privacy, particularly with regard to DNA obtained through consumer-initiated services such as Ancestry.com and 23andme.

Interestingly, I learned about the break in East Area Rapist case while driving home last night, just after meeting someone who told me of two parent-child reunions made possible by DNA testing. The first involved the man who told me about the two cases. He learned about his previously-unknown son when the son was a young adult, and the man who he had thought of as his father died. His mother revealed that there was a possibility that another man - my acquaintance - was actually his father. Both had their DNA tested, and voila! My acquaintance had a new adult son, who he now considers part of his family. The other case was a friend of said acquaintance. His daughter was 50 had DNA testing done (after the death of her mother), found out he was likely her father, and contacted him. In both cases both the parents and their now-adult children were very happy to have made the connection.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That must have been a really scary time, @VRBeauty. Very heinous that the suspect was a figure of public trust. Unfortunately, it turns out rogue public servants aren't uncommon as we've learned in a variety of cases.

I haven't done the DNA testing either, partially for privacy reasons regarding the DNA testing companies' disclosure policies that are subject to change without users' consent.

In the Golden State Killer situation though, it appears the case broke based not on a DNA testing company's disclosure, but police searching public website postings from people who got results from DNA testing company or companies. The police matched that DNA information to DNA discarded by the suspect (e.g., cigarette, cup or hair in trash can, glass left in public area). Pretty crazy how the world is evolving.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my results back last night— the most alarming thing is that I am a cystic fibrosis carrier (57% Irish). So I will have to get my kids tested to see if they are carriers and if they are, their spouses will have to get tested before they have kids.

2 genes for macular degeneration (my aunt has it)

Hella Neanderthal— more Neanderthal than 75% of 23 and me users. (Whatever that means lol)

I’ll feed it into the 5$ website later on. I’m still at my vacation house getting several plumbing issue fixed and my iPad died died. Will have to get a new one— hard to see even on a iPhone 7 Plus.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave pretty cool! my neanderthal came in as less than 51% of 23andme users.. may I ask? what is the 5$ website? thanks!

Kate

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results