shape
carat
color
clarity

23andme genetic testing: anyone do this?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just sent my spit sample off today. They are running 8-10 weeks at the moment to get your information back.

Has anyone done the genetic testing and would you like to share your experience?

Thanks.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will when I get mine back.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 months, they are having trouble getting enuf DNA from my saliva. so I may have to do it again.

How long have you been waiting?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 months, they are having trouble getting enuf DNA from my saliva. so I may have to do it again.

Oh no! I have heard this from a few people online when I was researching it

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry no. I will not be willingly providing my DNA to anyone. It seems interesting but I am a skeptic of things like this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dh and I did it a few months ago but we opted out of the health portion and just wanted the ancestry portion. My findings were totally boring and predictable but my dh found his info more interesting.

I'm trying to remember how long it took to get the results...IIRC 6-8 weeks.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am doing this... my sample was received by them last week.

It was a Christmas gift for myself and my brother... I did health and ancestry, he just did ancestry. We are both adopted (separately) with no information about either of our sets of birth parents, so the intrigue of possibly learning a little bit more about our genetic makeup (or even finding others out there who share DNA) outweighed my reluctance to provide DNA to a corporation.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am doing this... my sample was received by them last week.

It was a Christmas gift for myself and my brother... I did health and ancestry, he just did ancestry. We are both adopted (separately) with no information about either of our sets of birth parents, so the intrigue of possibly learning a little bit more about our genetic makeup (or even finding others out there who share DNA) outweighed my reluctance to provide DNA to a corporation.
I can totally understand this reasoning behind doing it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm doing it for the celiac gene test (which I know is limited). I feel like crap all the time and all of my bloodwork always comes back terrific, so while my docs believe me, they also can't find anything to make me feel better (aside from a few things they found that I am now getting treated for).

I'm willing to throw it all up against the wall and see if anything sticks.. long shot but I am willing to do it.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter is celiac. The definitive test is done via biopsy, not blood work. Just a heads up on that one. It may be beyond the scope of 23andme.

I know our ancestories quite well, and know the diseases we already have, so I don't think there's a point in me doing it. I've done DNA testing for those things already for free.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter is celiac. The definitive test is done via biopsy, not blood work. Just a heads up on that one. It may be beyond the scope of 23andme.

I know our ancestories quite well, and know the diseases we already have, so I don't think there's a point in me doing it. I've done DNA testing for those things already for free.

It's not blood work-- they test for several of the genes (can't name which ones offhand). There is limitation to it, but people who have confirmed diagnoses of celiac did indeed report they were flagged for the gene at 23andme. Obviously not all of them--- it's not able to pick up 100%.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I did the ancestry DNA one. Seemed pretty accurate based off of comparing mine, my mother's and my grandfathers. And also how different my fiancés was. Mine took around 2.5 mos

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm doing it for the celiac gene test (which I know is limited). I feel like crap all the time and all of my bloodwork always comes back terrific, so while my docs believe me, they also can't find anything to make me feel better (aside from a few things they found that I am now getting treated for).

I'm willing to throw it all up against the wall and see if anything sticks.. long shot but I am willing to do it.

You don't necessarily have to have celiac to have these symptoms... you could just have an allergy or intolerance. Celiac tests won't pick this up. If you think it's gluten stop earring it and see if symptoms are better. When I eat a lot of gluten I feel terrible, muy skin breaks out and I get a lot of GI symptoms. I have gone low carb and felt great which is probably bc u can't eat gluten if you're doing super low carb.. just my 2 cents..

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't necessarily have to have celiac to have these symptoms... you could just have an allergy or intolerance. Celiac tests won't pick this up. If you think it's gluten stop earring it and see if symptoms are better. When I eat a lot of gluten I feel terrible, muy skin breaks out and I get a lot of GI symptoms. I have gone low carb and felt great which is probably bc u can't eat gluten if you're doing super low carb.. just my 2 cents..

Yup, it's a total PITA too, as you know. I do feel better off gluten, and in order to do the scope for it, you have to eat it for 8 weeks, which would make me feel horrible.

My aunt has macular degeration, so I also want to see if I have that gene, and I clicked yes for wanting to know alzheimers and parkinson risks. I did have a brain MRI two years ago to test for MS along with a seizure panel and that all came out ok, so I guess they would have found something there at that time.

Macular degeneration sucks.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did this for both the ancestry and health. Everything was about as I expected with the predominant strains being Irish and British - something like 60%. I knew about the German/western euro jewish ancestry from one relative but I didn't know there were pieces of French and Scandinavian lurking around. But best of all, I have a Native American ancestor from the 1700s. That was just too cool.

On the down side, I am at risk for late onset dementia. Oh well.

Now... what were we talking about??

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did this. Everything was about as I expected with the predominant strains being Irish and British. I knew about the German ancestry but I didn't know there was some French and Scandinavian lurking around. But best of all, I have a Native American ancestor from the 1700s.

My SIL did my ancestry back to the 1700s and so I completely expect French, German and Irish to be predominant.

You can't just do the genetic testing with 23andme, you have to do the ancestry part also. So I guess I shall see if there are any surprises there.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did sign up for an extra scan, I assumed it was all the part about diseases.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was gifted it, and opted for health and ancestry. I was adopted as a baby from Korea and wanted to have an inkling of what my 'family health history' was. I learnt that I'm not a natural sprinter :D, have no major markers for diseases, and am prone to being a light sleeper. Honestly most of it was just fun confirmation of what I can observe any time I look in the mirror. I'm a mix of various asians (no surprise), a small but not completely insignificant amount of northern British (big surprise). And 0.2% sub Saharan African. It's fun, if not the earth shattering revelation that some want.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used Family Tree and it's linked to 23andme as well as another I can't remember. Too lazy to dig out the stuff. Ancestry info was interesting. A cousin of mine and I corresponded with hundreds of distant relatives in an effort to learn about our paternal grandfather.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I"m with @redwood66 here. I don't want anyone with my map!!! Call me paranoid but I am constantly agitated that my dang phone know where I am at all times, I hate pop up ads from sites I have perused (yes, usually jewelry). I will be damned if I willingly give my genetic code to anyone!! LOL

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I"m with @redwood66 here. I don't want anyone with my map!!! Call me paranoid but I am constantly agitated that my dang phone know where I am at all times, I hate pop up ads from sites I have perused (yes, usually jewelry). I will be damned if I willingly give my genetic code to anyone!! LOL
Threadjack. I watched a segment of Tucker Carlson last night that showed them doing a test of what your phone uploads to Google and it was frightening. They had two phones and wandered all over town, one in airplane mode and one not. The one in airplane mode uploaded more info with pinpoint location accuracy even if they were walking or driving. :x2 I hate this crap.

Last edited:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Threadjack. I watched a segment of Tucker Carlson last night that showed them doing a test of what your phone uploads to Google and it was frightening. They had two phones and wandered all over tow, one in airplane mode and one not. The one in airplane mode uploaded more info with pinpoint location accuracy even if they were walking or driving. :x2 I hate this crap.

Bin Laden won, no doubt. I honestly thought about writing in for Ed Snowden in the last election, lol! Too afraid though! I know I will probably get crap for this so I better bow out now!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other cool thing I learned is that I have a greater proportion of fast twitch muscle fibers than most people. Apparently they have done studies and found that this is common among elite athletes. I skated and skied for years and years, but no one ever mistook me for an Olympian lol.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other cool thing I learned is that I have a greater proportion of fast twitch muscle fibers than most people. Apparently they have done studies and found that this is common among elite athletes. I skated and skied for years and years, but no one ever mistook me for an Olympian lol.

I am likely genetically related to a slug or sloth :lol-2:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My kids have done it. Afterward, they uploaded their info to https://promethease.com/ and got their genetic testing for diseases and other interesting info.

I keep saying I will do it. I will probably end up getting my dog’s dna done before mine.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've done it, both the ancestry and health. I'm a first generation American whose parents immigrated from Poland (borders pre WWII). A few surprises - not 100% Eastern European; there's some Scandinavian in there, as well as East Asian/Native American, Balkan and British Isles; I also have an Ashkenazi ancestor back in the 18th century (My family is all Roman Catholic). I believe the EA/NA is Siberian Yakut. If you look up images of the Yakut people, you'll see what I mean. And the biggest surprise of all: less than 1/10 of 1% Sub Saharan African. I'm calling that Sticky DNA - a hanger-on from ancient times. Funny thing is, if you look at migratory patterns out of Africa-my makeup follows that pattern.

I found it quite interesting to do, I always thought I looked Asian, I have a flatter face, almond eyes and very hooded eyelids. The ancestry report clarified what I suspected.

Another thing I did was upload my raw data to other sites and learned alot more. Funny thing: each website that did traits said I have blue eyes, I don't but just about everyone else in my family does. I have central heterochromia: close to my pupil my eye color is yellow, out in the periphery it fades to grey with a dark ring around the iris. These colors together created green with a pretty collarette (starburst). Only one site said that they should be blue but there were some modifiers in there so they may not be.

As far as the health part goes, I initially came back negative on everything, but they added some tests and there is something about celiac. I had two siblings with Lupus, so autoimmune does not surprise me. One thing to keep in mind is that there are usually several genes that contribute towards certain conditions, so having one gene may not really mean much.

upload_2018-2-8_19-42-40.png

upload_2018-2-8_19-46-9.png
This is my eye color prediction on GEDmatch:
upload_2018-2-8_20-5-17.png

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've done it, both the ancestry and health. I'm a first generation American whose parents immigrated from Poland (borders pre WWII). A few surprises - not 100% Eastern European; there's some Scandinavian in there, as well as East Asian/Native American, Balkan and British Isles; I also have an Ashkenazi ancestor back in the 18th century (My family is all Roman Catholic). I believe the EA/NA is Siberian Yakut. If you look up images of the Yakut people, you'll see what I mean. And the biggest surprise of all: less than 1/10 of 1% Sub Saharan African. I'm calling that Sticky DNA - a hanger-on from ancient times. Funny thing is, if you look at migratory patterns out of Africa-my makeup follows that pattern.

I found it quite interesting to do, I always thought I looked Asian, I have a flatter face, almond eyes and very hooded eyelids. The ancestry report clarified what I suspected.

Another thing I did was upload my raw data to other sites and learned alot more. Funny thing: each website that did traits said I have blue eyes, I don't but just about everyone else in my family does. I have central heterochromia: close to my pupil my eye color is yellow, out in the periphery it fades to grey with a dark ring around the iris. These colors together created green with a pretty collarette (starburst). Only one site said that they should be blue but there were some modifiers in there so they may not be.

As far as the health part goes, I initially came back negative on everything, but they added some tests and there is something about celiac. I had two siblings with Lupus, so autoimmune does not surprise me. One thing to keep in mind is that there are usually several genes that contribute towards certain conditions, so having one gene may not really mean much.

upload_2018-2-8_19-42-40.png

upload_2018-2-8_19-46-9.png
This is my eye color prediction on GEDmatch:
upload_2018-2-8_20-5-17.png

Very cool

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My kids have done it. Afterward, they uploaded their info to https://promethease.com/ and got their genetic testing for diseases and other interesting info.

I keep saying I will do it. I will probably end up getting my dog’s dna done before mine.
Don't bother we did our dog. It was a total joke 50% mixed breed and there was a 4 equal sections of 12.5% different breeds that are pretty unlikely.. it was an 84$ laugh..

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Also as housecat said, you can upload your info to promethese and get really detailed info. It's not the easiest to read all the genes, but a lot of useful info on there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results