shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Help Requested

tjh5122

Rough_Rock
Hey All! I'm new here on the forums, and about to undertake purchase of an engagement ring for her. Here is what I'm working with and a few questions I have for you experts. Thanks!

Requirements:
-Budget <$5,500 for the diamond, setting already budgeted for separately
-Selected Setting: Tacori Classic Crescent (http://www.tacori.com/engagement/rings/2645rd712.html)
-Setting Material: White Gold
-Desired Diamond Stats: Round Shape, 1.25 - 1.50 carats, VS2 or better, Excellent Cut

Questions:
1. I'm looking at loose diamonds online because of the value. I've been using Blue Nile and Zoara, but prefer Zoara because of the actual diamond pictures. Do you think i'm making a mistake with this strategy/do you have any words of caution?
2. It appears that on my budget I can either get a 1.25 carat stone of color J OR 1.50 carat stone of color K. Any advice in this realm for a white gold setting? I don't want the diamond to appear yellow, but I can increase the size significantly if I go with a color K.
3. What is the significance of the HCA score? I hadn't even heard of this until browsing these forums. I've been relying on a GIA Excellent Cut as being a beautiful stone, but am now reading that they can appear cloudy if their HCA scores are too high. When I run a few of the stones I found on Zoara through the HCA calculator, they are classified as "fair" or "good" with scores around 5. What should I make of this?

Thanks again!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The HCA isnt the end all be all, but just going based off of a gia Ex isn't going to be enough either.

as for color, I wouldnt go down to a K in that size unless your girlfriend has seen a k and is ok with the color. Especially because you are doing it in white gold. It may even be that a J is too low as well, but if size is her priority, a J is safer.

tjh5122

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice.

You mention that GIA Ex rating isn't enough info to go off. Excluding clarity, what other parameters do you use when selecting a beautiful stone? I see table, depth, polish, symmetry, and fluorescence but I don't really know how to weight these relative to the four c's.

Also, what do you think of this stone? I ran it through the HCA calculator and it had a great score. Plus it meets all my other criteria with remarkable clarity, ex cut, and J color (per our discussion). http://www.zoara.com/diamonds/p_round_excellent_cut_j_vvs2#p=4438817

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi tjh :wavey:

A few questions...

Is your FF dead set on this setting? The reason I ask is because it looks like it could be prone to damage due to all the open space (the crescents). If she's willing to be super careful with her ring(s), and not wear them a lot, then this is a non-issue.

Also, does she want 14K or 18K WG? 18K will need to be replated with rhodium more often than 14K, due to the larger amount of yellow gold in it (it will show more when then the rhodium wears). Each time it is replated, gold will be polished away -- just something to consider, since many parts of the setting are very thin to begin with...

Is she okay with almost half of the budge spent on the setting, or would she rather have a larger/whiter diamond with a non-branded or less expensive setting?

I have a J color diamond. However, I chose it myself and I have a setting that does not allow the side view to show (so it looks white from the top). I wouldn't go with J unless she has seen it in a similar setting and is okay with it. J's will show color from the side, so I wouldn't go below an I with the setting she's chosen.

tjh5122

Rough_Rock
Really great feedback, thanks! I have come to terms with the budget getting smoked by this setting. Since she loves it so much, i've been really trying to focus on value with the stone so that I don't break the bank.

Her heart is pretty set on this setting. She fell in love with it when she saw it. She likes the intricacy of the design. I hadn't even thought about the durability aspect. Is this really an issue? When you purchase a setting like this, can some type of insurance or warranty cover the damage you are talking about?

I don't think she has a preference on the gold type actually. What would be optimal for this ring setting? Would upgrading to platinum help with the durability issues? Also, if we changed courses and went with a YELLOW gold setting, would this help with the color rating aspects?

So you would recommend going with an "I" color because of the potential for "J" to show yellow from the sides with this particular setting?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful setting, no doubt! Yes, the lowest I would go is I, and H would be better (duh! 8) ) :bigsmile: Sometimes yellow gold can make a stone appear whiter, sometimes it can enhance the yellow tint. If she thinks she might be down for YG, I'd stress that she try it on with an I or J color stone first. Although I have an 18K WG setting, I wish I'd gone with 14K or platinum. For the Tacori setting in question... I'd try to spring for platinum I think. I know that puts a bigger dent in the budget, but I just feel like it would be best. I would also ask for a quote in 14K WG just in case -- it should be less than the 18K.

Here is a 1.27 I with medium blue fluorescence (will help it look whiter). It almost hits the 7 mm mark, and I think the little dark spot on the bottom could easily be covered up with a prong. HCA = 1.9

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6580042-1.27-carat-Round-diamond-I-color-SI2-Clarity.aspx?sku=6580042&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
That stone looks good to me, but you better put it on hold as there are lurkers here that might snatch it up.

I have a J stone as well, but again color is personal preference.

tjh5122

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for the detailed response msop04.

Most jewelers we visit either don't carry that setting and sometimes have it without the stone. Are there places you can go or jewelers that will let you try on a specific setting with a specific type of stone? It would be great to have her try it on in YG with a "J" stone to see how yellow it appears, but I don't even know how to make that happen...

Are the benefits of platinum that it will make the diamond appear whiter, will it improve durability (to your previous concerns about the crescents and possible damage), or both?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tjh5122|1420392862|3811689 said:
Wow, thanks for the detailed response msop04.

Most jewelers we visit either don't carry that setting and sometimes have it without the stone. Are there places you can go or jewelers that will let you try on a specific setting with a specific type of stone? It would be great to have her try it on in YG with a "J" stone to see how yellow it appears, but I don't even know how to make that happen...

Are the benefits of platinum that it will make the diamond appear whiter, will it improve durability (to your previous concerns about the crescents and possible damage), or both?

Most of the branded settings will be empty or set with a CZ... for her to see what color she prefers, I'd just have her look at GIA only stones set in any open settings (in her metal of choice). A dainty four prong solitaire would be just fine. What you'll be looking for is the exposed side view of the stone.

Also, like was mentioned aboved... put that stone on hold if you think you'd consider it. Stones get bought up all the time by lurkers. :shifty:

Another thing to consider is that there are "high" J's and "low" J's, and they can be quite different. A stone with some fluorescence would help make it appear whiter in certain lighting condition, but not all the time. Sticking with an I or better would be my advice. J's are an "acquired taste" ;)) :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also wanted to add -- the stones probably won't be pronged, but they can either set it loosely or, at the very least, drop it into the setting for comparison. I wouldn't recommend YG prongs at all.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tjh5122|1420392862|3811689 said:

Platinum won't make it look any whiter than another white metal, but I do think it would improve durability over the long run. Platinum isn't brittle like gold. More importantly, when it's polished, you won't lose metal like with gold.

tjh5122

Rough_Rock
Ok great! It sounds like I have some homework. To recap (correct me if I missed something):

1. Collect more data by going to a jeweler and testing a GIA "I" and a GIA "J" in a setting that exposes the side of the diamond to determine which color grade I'm comfortable with. Also test this with 14K WG and YG settings if possible.
2. Consider upgrading to a platinum setting for improved durability.
3. Consider upgrading to an "I" or even "H" diamond to be safe.
4. Consider diamonds with med blue fluorescence which can help the diamond appear whiter.
5. Avoid having YG prongs for the setting.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also wanted to add since you mentioned insurance earlier, you should absolutely insure the entire ring with its own insurance policy against damage, loss, or theft. Many here use jewelers mutual. This way if the setting ever does become worn down beyond repair you will be able to replace it. Make sure you can replace it with an actual Tacori piece since it's brand name. Adding to that, make sure if you ever have ANY work done on your ring it is done by Tacori or a jeweler authorized by Tacori or you will lose your warranty with them. These are all very important parts of owning a delicate designer ring.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Consider rose gold too.

If you sent yellow, you'd most certainly want 18k, as 14k yellow gold can look a bit tinny.

What's nice about rose is both 14k and 18k are nice in their own right, typically 14k looking a bit pinker than 18k.

Why is this good?14 k is usually cheaper. Lol

LoubieLove

Rough_Rock
I have a similar Tacori setting from the petite crescent collection with diamonds on all 3 sides. I wear mine 24/7 and I have had no issues with any kind of damage. I do have an insurance policy with Jewelers Mutual just in case. It covers loss as well as damage. There prices are very reasonable.

tjh5122

Rough_Rock
Thanks for bringing your personal experience with a Tacori petite crescent!

Would you mind sharing some additional info about your ring? Did you go with a platinum setting, white, or yellow gold? Do you know the color grade of your center stone and how it looks from the sides?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tjh5122|1420396981|3811711 said:
Ok great! It sounds like I have some homework. To recap (correct me if I missed something):

1. Collect more data by going to a jeweler and testing a GIA "I" and a GIA "J" in a setting that exposes the side of the diamond to determine which color grade I'm comfortable with. Also test this with 14K WG and YG settings if possible.
2. Consider upgrading to a platinum setting for improved durability.
3. Consider upgrading to an "I" or even "H" diamond to be safe.
4. Consider diamonds with med blue fluorescence which can help the diamond appear whiter.
5. Avoid having YG prongs for the setting.

I think you've pretty much got it! :))

I agree with Niel about the RG in 14K -- it can make the diamond appear a little whiter too sometimes. As far as the design aspect and durability... some people baby their rings while on, yet some can be super hard on them and not realize it until it's too late. As long as you have insurance, you should be okay. Just make sure you have them specify "Tacori" and the setting number on your policy so they can't just replace it with a "like" setting.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...one more thing to add about insurance policies: Don't submit the jeweler's inflated appraisal of the ring! Make sure they appraise it realistically for what it would cost to replace it in full. I learned that the hard way, and I paid WAY too much for JM for a LONG while. :errrr:

LoubieLove

Rough_Rock
No problem! My setting is white gold and my center stone is an "I" color. It is an AGS Ideal cut, so it looks white 100% of the time from the top and 95% of the time from the sides. The only time I notice any warmth is when I am in a room with yellow walls and sometimes on an overcast day.

I have attached a couple of pics with a side view. The first is in my car but in the direct sunlight. The second is in my kitchen with a little bit of sunlight coming through the window and my compact fluorescent lighting.

Hope this helps!

img_6580.jpg

_25791.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoubieLove|1420414127|3811794 said:
No problem! My setting is white gold and my center stone is an "I" color. It is an AGS Ideal cut, so it looks white 100% of the time from the top and 95% of the time from the sides. The only time I notice any warmth is when I am in a room with yellow walls and sometimes on an overcast day.

I have attached a couple of pics with a side view. The first is in my car but in the direct sunlight. The second is in my kitchen with a little bit of sunlight coming through the window and my compact fluorescent lighting.

Hope this helps!

Perfect! I think an I would be fine -- just depends on how color sensitive she is! Thank goodness I'm not! :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results