shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald vs Radiant advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MarciaB

Rough_Rock
We have just started ring shopping for my 50th(YIKES!) Birthday present.. I have always loved Emerald Cut Diamonds and thought that was what I really wanted. Have done my research and have looked online and at mall stores for ideas on settings. This was one of my favorites, hope it links.

Catalog Viewer

We have a long time family jeweler that we prefer to do business with. I have always checked his prices and they seem to be good. But this ring is going to be a much more sizable purchase than usual! So I want to make sure I''m getting a good ring at a fair price.

While I would love a D Flawless stone..We do have a budget and I have decided size is more important than perfection. I was thinking 2.5-3Ct, G color, VS2 or SI1 stone.

Today we went by our jeweler, who really has a nice selection of settings. The first ring that popped out at me was a 2.75ct Emerald cut with 16 small baguettes, totalling 1.6ct. They were all approx equal in size, set in two rows of 4 each, in an invisable setting. It was very nice, but the quality of center diamond was a little less than I had hoped, and it is NOT professionaly graded yet. He will have this done upon purchase. He grades it as an H/I color and VS2. The dimensions are 9.32 x 6.57. I don''t know the depth etc. This ring had the "look" I loved and was the right size and price.(actually even a little lower than our budget)This was the only larger emerald stone he had.

But he said he also had a very nice larger Radiant cut I might like. This radiant was more rectangular, and the setting it was in was spectacular. This ring had a 3ct F SI1 center stone. Even with the scope, from the top you could see no flaws, only from a side look. The dimension are 9.48 x 7.52 x 5.26. Depth 70% Then I thought the grading said width? But something else was 78% Crown was 8% and the pav. depth was 60%. The setting had 12 stepped down emerald cuts in a unusual slightly curved channel setting, totalling 3 cts. The first 2 stones, next to the center cut were .60 each. This was one of the most spectacular settings I have seen anywhere! And I HAVE BEEN LOOKING EVERYWHERE! Of course... this ring was 50+% more than the first.

If I had not seen the 2nd ring, I would have loved the first ring. Since I was thinking G colors, don''t know if I should be that concered about H/I? just bothered me a little, guess if it came back H, i would feel better. I really do have a hard time even when I kept looking other colors right next to it!

I would really like some other opinions.

I have not listed prices, as I am curious as to what others might think each would/should go for.

Our options are many! Take either of the 2 rings as is. We could spend the extra $$, just don''t know if ring 2 is worth that much more. We could swap the emerald diamond to the other setting. That setting was more than twice as much than the first.(for good reason) This might be the best option, after emerald cut is graded. OR wait until he gets more diamonds in. This isn''t a huge jewelry store, so he doesn''t keep a large inventory of 2.5-3ct diamonds, but he said now that he knows what we''re looking for he could get more in. BUT the two diamonds we saw today, he has had for a while, and they would be priced much better than a new one he has to buy.

HELP!

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
just my opinion....

I love the emerald cut. I think it''s very elegant! But with an emerald cut, i would go with a higher color and clarity grade. Only b/c it''s much easier to see the dfference and see right thru the rock.

Personally, I''m a Radiant fan. I''m in the process of looking for one. I like the sparkles in a radiant vs. the clear look in a emerald. Radiant is has both step cut and brilliant cut combined. Be aware of the high % in depth in larger stones. That''s where they could hide the weight of a beautiful diamond. Check out this link or www.gemappraisers.com and go to cut grading and fancy shape selector. Put in the specs and see what you''d get. It is a very helpful site to visit before you make your big decision. I wish i had found it first before we bought a radiant that the table % is too high. oh well... live and learn. We are returning it and getting a better one.

here are some pictures to give you an idea what mine looks like.....

4waysfire4.JPG

fourmorefire5.JPG

MarciaB

Rough_Rock
THAT is a very nice ring! How big is the center stone? Are you trading that in? Up?

FOR some reason, the link I posted worked... but not to the right ring! ???? I''m trying this:

http://www.uniteddiamonds.com/catalogviewer.html?category=engagement-channel

the ring I liked was on the United Diamonds site, channel set engagement rings, page 12, with a center Emerald Cut

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
That center stone is 1.70ct G, VS2. I don''t have a problem with the color or the clarity. But because the table % is over 70, it made the rock look bigger, but lost some scintillation at the same time. We made the mistake of not comparing to other stones side by side. After we brought it home and i had a chance to really check out the stone, i had my suspicion on lack of scintillation. Sure enough after being examined by an appriaiser my suspicion was confirmed. That''s why we are exchange it. It was quite a learning experience for us. my advice to you is to look at as many stones as you can and compare them SIDE BY SIDE.
9.gif
9.gif

MarciaB

Rough_Rock
For some reason the page I am trying to post, keeps coming up a totally different ring? Don''t know why...

Will keep shopping, but as a small biz owner myself, I feel fairly commited to buying from our long time jeweler, if he can provide me what we want and fair price.. am not looking for absoulute best deal, but want what I want! ... but we certainly do look elsewhere.

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, being comfortable with your jeweler is important and the trust you have built for so many years. Just be patient, cuz trust me, i''ve been looking since May of this year and yet I''m still searching... it isn''t easy for me to find a radiant that i really like now that i''ve been educated on PriceScope.
9.gif

Good luck and fun shopping....!!
36.gif

moosewendy

Rough_Rock
The 78% is probably table size. From a technical perspective, the radiant cut you saw is not the best possible cut. The depth% and table% should both be less than 70%. Also, it appears that the radiant you saw had a crown that is a bit too shallow and a pavillion a bit too deep. If you liked that stone, you would probably love a really well cut radiant, though those can be hard to find and a bit more expensive. Check out the info at www.radiantcut.com if you want to learn more about radiants.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results