shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about a blue sapphire

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was visiting my local jeweler again...old school - very honest with fair prices. Its not uncommon for him to show me the receipt for what he has paid. Even occasionally sells me something at cost. I just don't think he knows colored stones (but unfortunately, neither do I).

The story behind this stone is that it came from a ring a customer brought in. She wanted a the stone replaced - this one was very dark, dingy and he didn't think it was worth anything. Anyway, he sold her a new stone and took the original to a colleague who told him it was a blue sapphire - over 100 years old and thus unheated. He paid the guy $200 to recut it and clean it up. Obviously, the setting is new.

It's way outside what I can afford right now (he has the ring marked at $6500)...but he said that when I am ready to buy, he'll give me a good price (he usually comes down quite a bit for me since I am a regular and he knows I am used to gem show prices. On designer pieces, he'll even match the lowest price I can find it sold for on ebay. He also said that he'd take the stone and reset it for me to bring the cost down further. Unfortunately, I love the ring just as it is.

So I thought I'd get some opinions whether I should start saving up or just put it behind me.

sapphirering.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW, that is beautiful! :love:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
start saving.....my experience if "the one" speaks to you, "the other" will never satisfy you because you'll always be dreaming about "the one".

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You all are no help :lol: My problem is that too many things "speak to me" lately. I'm hoping someone will tell me that this is nothing unusual so I can put it behind me :saint:

It's even prettier IRL but if you've seen other posts, I take terrible pictures (its probably me, not the cell). But I don't want to overpay either.

On a completely different note - he asked me if I had any interest in an Alexandrite. He's had this ring so he's looking to get rid of it. Even said, he would just sell me the stone as its not something his customer base looks for (diamonds and named designers like Tiffany and Yurman). I didn't give it much more than a glance or ask questions because I don't know much about Alexandrite except that the prices can vary wildly. It's color changes from green to purplish-brown - not exactly my palette. I don't think the ring was very much (given the gold/diamonds) so I could probably get the stone fairly inexpensive but don't know if its worth anything.

alexandrite_0.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trust buy verify. I wouldn't buy it without an AGL memo at the very least. I have to say I love the setting more than the stone. The stone seems a bit dark to me, but if you like darker sapphires, that's your prerogative. :)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I agree with TL. It's a very nice setting but the stone looks dark -- if you go back for another look, take it into low light if possible -- it looks like it would black out pretty much. There! Now you have ammo to save or to buy. :$$):

--- Laurie

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Makes sense as he did say the stone was so dark that it didn't even look like a blue sapphire before it was recut. It's a lot of money and I would prefer a brighter stone. Thanks for saving me from myself :bigsmile:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, this is beautiful. I love the setting and the stone. I have a weak spot though for darker mysterious sapphires. I would go back and take lots of pics to see how the colour holds in different lighting.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I would pass. I think a sapphire with lighter tone in a simpler setting would be give you more bang for your buck.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A deal is only a deal if you love it. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results