shape
carat
color
clarity

2024 Solar Eclipse

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone else in the path of totality or traveling to it to view the eclipse? I’m right smack dab in the 4 minutes of totality part and our city is expecting a huge influx of visitors April 8th.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH will be in San Antonio for the event. I'm stuck at home.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone who has not seen one and can possibly get to this one needs to see it.

I have a brother so close to the path but I'm sure he will be "too busy with work," etc. You had a hundred years to plan this day off, man.

It's not that it is magical or mystical or religious. It's just really, really cool. And completely unlike the thousand photos I have seen of totality.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I was right in the path of the 2017 total eclipse and loved it so much!

Be VERY careful of your eyes. Do not look directly at the sun, even through sunglasses. You could burn a permanent hole in your retina. Be very suspicious of "eclipse glasses"--many counterfeits are being sold. The best way to view the eclipse is through a pinpoint projection. When the sun shines through a hole, it casts a crescent-shaped image on the ground.

A colander makes a great viewing device. Watch the shadow it casts--look at the shape the sun makes shining through the holes and watch how the shape changes.

This time around I'm not in the path of the totality, but I plan to view the partial eclipse by watching the shadows made by a colander and a tea strainer or two.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not in the path of totality but sure wish I was. I'm in the 60% path, but also, clouds are predicted so not sure what that means. It would be about a 4 hour drive north for me to get to the totality path and I was asleep at the wheel and didn't make a plan for a hotel room and a kennel for the dog. With traffic, there's no way I could do it as a day trip. So I bought the glasses anyway and will be content with my 60%!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Be VERY careful of your eyes. Do not look directly at the sun, even through sunglasses. You could burn a permanent hole in your retina. Be very suspicious of "eclipse glasses"--many counterfeits are being sold. The best way to view the eclipse is through a pinpoint projection. When the sun shines through a hole, it casts a crescent-shaped image on the ground.

A colander makes a great viewing device. Watch the shadow it casts--look at the shape the sun makes shining through the holes and watch how the shape changes.

This time around I'm not in the path of the totality, but I plan to view the partial eclipse by watching the shadows made by a colander and a tea strainer or two.

I'm having a hard time envisioning the colander thing. Do you mean put it on the ground and then watch it's shadow?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I'm having a hard time envisioning the colander thing. Do you mean put it on the ground and then watch it's shadow?
Here's DH holding a tea strainer and a sifting spoon, with the colander we were using sitting on the ground.

IMG_0153.jpeg

And here's a photo of the shadow cast by the colander as the moon moves across the face of the sun. You can see how the holes in the colander show the crescent shape of the sun with the moon crossing it. If you look very closely at the photo above, you can see the same effect in the shadows of the spoon and the tea strainer, but it's clearer here.

IMG_0163.jpeg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's DH holding a tea strainer and a sifting spoon, with the colander we were using sitting on the ground.

IMG_0153.jpeg

And here's a photo of the shadow cast by the colander as the moon moves across the face of the sun. You can see how the holes in the colander show the crescent shape of the sun with the moon crossing it. If you look very closely at the photo above, you can see the same effect in the shadows of the spoon and the tea strainer, but it's clearer here.

IMG_0163.jpeg

Thank you. I get it now.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock

IMG_0153.jpeg

IMG_0163.jpeg

You have to hold the colander (or tea strainer, or paper with a hole in it, or whatever) at the right distance from the ground to get the shapes in the shadow to come into focus.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would be really cool to see in person.
But not cool enough to me to travel far.

Maybe one will occur near me before I croak. :knockout:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I viewed the 2017 one using a colander!!!!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'm taking a mini roadtrip because the path is in a beautiful part of the state we rarely go through. I've got my glasses and everything.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone who has not seen one and can possibly get to this one needs to see it.

I have a brother so close to the path but I'm sure he will be "too busy with work," etc. You had a hundred years to plan this day off, man.

It's not that it is magical or mystical or religious. It's just really, really cool. And completely unlike the thousand photos I have seen of totality.

There are a TON of people who agree with you! I didn’t realize how cool it was going to be until my friend called me a couple months ago and said he was coming to town for the entire weekend just to view it. I go down to Orlando several times a year just to swim in his pool—didn’t realize I’d be the one holding the “my place is cooler than yours” card this year!

It really is a special celestial event. Our county is about 100k ppl and we’re expecting upwards of 250k in addition. Hotels have been sold out for a year and a friend who works for one of them said they tripled the room rates. I’m fortunate to live on the outskirts but townies are cautioning to make sure to stock up on water, essentials, and try not to need an ambulance that weekend:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would be really cool to see in person.
But not cool enough to me to travel far.

Maybe one will occur near me before I croak. :knockout:

The risk is the weather! We are currently forecasted to have clouds and little visibility but of course that could change. It will suck for everyone who made a special trip here not to really get to view it.

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
Ahhhh... I'm have more anxiety about the city getting clogged up then I am being excited about the eclipse happening. With it being a work day, when do you expect traffic would be worse on the day of the eclipse?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ExplorePS

It’ll be worse as people leave AFTER the eclipse ends. So whatever time that is for you—they’ve been telling ppl here to work from home if possible, public schools are off that day, the university cancelled classes, and since we’re used to big sporting events we’re being told to treat it like one of those weekends times ten.

Apparently in 2017 the highways were gridlocked for 6-12 hours in some places.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a few % away from totality.
Driving to 100% is a game time decision, weather being the factor.

Do wonder how many peeps are headed to Rapture, IN.
:D I hear they know how to throw a party.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I am 2hrs from the path AND I CANNOT WAIT. I missed it in Nashville in 2017 bc I had to leave the state for a stupid meeting and I should have skipped the meeting. I am really hoping it's sunny that day; where I live it is typically sunny but you never know. We will have four minutes of totality. I CANNOT WAIT. I am also really mad at my school district bc where I live we are having a deep partial (99%) and they are NOT taking the kids outside to view it and will be on SECURE lockdown during eclipe hours. It is so stupid. An educational opportunity completely wasted. I am pulling my kid out of school and he's going on the path with us.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I'm thinking to travel for the eclipse. It looks like it's about a 12 hour drive. I am shocked by how high the hotel costs are. I've seen some hotels that are usually $120 a night charging 10x prices for the eclipse!! I think I'll be staying in a 2nd or 3rd ring suburb of a city to avoid that

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking to travel for the eclipse. It looks like it's about a 12 hour drive. I am shocked by how high the hotel costs are. I've seen some hotels that are usually $120 a night charging 10x prices for the eclipse!! I think I'll be staying in a 2nd or 3rd ring suburb of a city to avoid that

The holiday inn in Eagle Pass TX was 2k for the night lol!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am 2hrs from the path AND I CANNOT WAIT. I missed it in Nashville in 2017 bc I had to leave the state for a stupid meeting and I should have skipped the meeting. I am really hoping it's sunny that day; where I live it is typically sunny but you never know. We will have four minutes of totality. I CANNOT WAIT. I am also really mad at my school district bc where I live we are having a deep partial (99%) and they are NOT taking the kids outside to view it and will be on SECURE lockdown during eclipe hours. It is so stupid. An educational opportunity completely wasted. I am pulling my kid out of school and he's going on the path with us.

All school is cancelled here for the day, but my city revolves around education and we have so many events set up for all ages to learn about the event and experience it. Glad you’re taking your kid with you, fingers crossed you get good weather!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
All school is cancelled here for the day, but my city revolves around education and we have so many events set up for all ages to learn about the event and experience it. Glad you’re taking your kid with you, fingers crossed you get good weather!

We are not in the path of totality where I live, so that’s why school isn’t canceled, but I think it’s so stupid that they’re hiding all the kids in the classrooms because they’re afraid of it basically.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are not in the path of totality where I live, so that’s why school isn’t canceled, but I think it’s so stupid that they’re hiding all the kids in the classrooms because they’re afraid of it basically.

Are they worried about liability in case a child fails to use their viewing glasses? Or is this some policy put in place since school shootings became so prevalent? I’m so curious!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Are they worried about liability in case a child fails to use their viewing glasses? Or is this some policy put in place since school shootings became so prevalent? I’m so curious!

They did not say specifically, but I think they are worried about the kids staring at the sun without glasses, But that’s what permission slips are for.

ETA - but they are going to watch it on TV! Lol!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They did not say specifically, but I think they are worried about the kids staring at the sun without glasses, But that’s what permission slips are for.

ETA - but they are going to watch it on TV! Lol!

Idk how to make the facepalm emoji from my phone but that’s my reaction. Sheeeesh

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
I am pretty excited for this event. We are about 5 hours away and we are staying at a hotel the night before BUT as someone else mentioned, the hotel cost is crazy high so we are staying about 2h away and then, driving to the town that morning. We are pulling our son out of school so he can enjoy the eclipse w/ us (he's a HS junior).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results