clarity

2019 Derby....what say you????

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
The disqualification? Your thoughts?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm fine with it. Maximum Security did bore out (turn) right into War of Will's path; their legs made contact twice; thankfully, there were no physical casualties. For those who haven't seen it, the Chief Steward's explanation for the unanimous decision; article includes the text of the rule, i.e., it's more than merely "typical procedure."
"The riders of the 18 [Long Range Toddy] and 20 [Country House] horses in the Kentucky Derby lodged objections against the 7 horse [Maximum Security], the winner, due to interference turning for home, leaving the quarter pole," said Borden, who was joined by her fellow stewards, Butch Becraft and Tyler Picklesimer. "We had a lengthy review of the race. We interviewed the affected riders. We determined that the 7 horse drifted out and impacted the progress of the number 1 (War of Will), in turn interfering with the 18 and 21 (Bodexpress). Those horses were all affected, we thought, by the interference, therefore we unanimously determined to disqualify number 7 and place him behind the 18 the 18 being the lowest-placed horse that he bothered, which is our typical procedure."
https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...steward-explains-disqualification/1106686001/
And here's the response to "neigh"-sayers from Tim Sullivan, a longtime sports writer with the Louisville Courier Journal:
https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...ards-did-their-duty-country-house/3611939002/

I am now seeing some reports that Maximum Security's owner is "exploring his legal options."

Last edited:
Reactions: AV_

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
@MollyMalone....it was def interesting to watch! Mixed feelings. My 13 year old daughter runs track. Picturing someone coming into her lane and threatening her safety really made me think. Although it certainly did not feel like a win for Country House!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't followed Maximum Security but he is a fast horse and appears to take corners wide even when no one is near. They'll have to get that under control for the next ones, besides it wastes speed and ground. He does run with his head cocked to the right which doesn't help, hooves follow nose. He may be paying too much attention to the others instead of running his own race. It didn't look like it was the jockey at all. Horse racing is dangerous for both man and beast. The four wide pin-balling situation at the turn and into the homestretch could have been a big wreck. But that happens in lots of races. Rubbing is racing doesn't apply to horses technically, it still happens all the time.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The whole thing should be outlawed.

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I rarely watch the races because I have negative feelings about them. We have an off the track thoroughbred. We got him when he was under two and he was just exercised before they realized racing wasn't his thing. He is much too laid back. I have seen so many discarded off the track horses. I only caught it because we were out for a birthday dinner in a sports bar. This situation could have ended up very tragically. It was pure luck none of the horses went down. There was definite contact. I do not think it was hockey error and could have been the horse making footing adjustments to the wet track. I think he would have come in even further in ahead of the others without cutting out. He tilts his head a bit so it could be a unconscious move. I don't think I would feel like the winning team if I was Country House.

Seeing the race reminded me exactly why I dislike the sport. I could never treat our horses that way.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am not a fan either but just like anything else, there is too much money in it to ever be outlawed.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is big money in horse racing and it costs a ton to do it. It wasn't named the sport of kings for no reason. Throw away horses are always a problem and disreputable trainers who do not care for the animals under their charge are a disgusting lot.

I will add that my family raised and raced Quarter Horses for many years all over California. In fact D. Wayne Lukas trained one of our stallions before he went on to thoroughbreds full time. The cost became too high and my grandfather became ill - the race horses were his interest, not the rest of the family's. My trainer dad was into cow horses instead.

Doing this is the most fun I have ever had on a horse. Skills right here, both trainer and horse.

Last edited:

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Was clear interference on the part of a horse not experienced enough in racing who luckily did not injure the horse he made contact with, but even more so caused those behind him to check hard and lose stride.

It was the right decision. That kind of thing can't be allowed. It was by sheer luck of timing that he didn't take the outside horse down.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. The horse racing game stinks. The lucky losers might end up as show jumpers or Dressage horses. The unlucky ones end up in horrendously abusive situations or in meat lockers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results