shape
carat
color
clarity

2016 The Year of Setting!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last year I bought quite a few pretty gems. Alas, I have yet to set any of them...so they sit, waiting for me to do something with them, so that they may go out into the world and show off their beauty.

I am now thinking of this year as "The Year of Setting." I want to get as many of my gems set as possible (provided my wallet doesn't laugh at me when I open it). :D

First on the list is a beautiful teal tourmaline from Jason Brim
1.55 ct dimensions: 7x6x4

image_4211.jpg

I am partial to halos (and they give the added benefit of helping protect the stone)
Any and all ideas / opinions are welcome and encouraged. :D

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a few settings that I think are pretty.

image_4212.jpg

image_4213.jpg

image_4214.jpg

image_4215.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to see your beauties set in 2016!
I love that stone and personally I would opt for a simple setting to emphasize the beauty of the stone. I love the first halo you posted or a bright cut set version of it.

I admired the photo of your blue green teal mint collection. Stunning :love: :love:

_1633.jpeg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1453839355|3981881 said:
Looking forward to see your beauties set in 2016!
I love that stone and personally I would opt for a simple setting to emphasize the beauty of the stone. I love the first halo you posted or a bright cut set version of it.

I admired the photo of your blue green teal mint collection. Stunning :love: :love:

Thank you acinom.

Can you explain what a "bright cut set" is?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See the example below of a halo and shank in which the diamonds are bright cut set. There is a delicate border around the edges to emphasize the shapes:

_1634.jpeg

S

SparkliesLuver

I love your stone, Elle! :love: What a color.

As for the setting, what's your style? Ornate? Classic? Blingy? Simple?

thea_harper

Rough_Rock
elle_71125|1453835205|3981833 said:
Here are a few settings that I think are pretty.

image_4213.jpg

I'm a sucker for art deco so this one has my vote. :lickout:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver thanks for posting. I did put some options up at the top. I am rather partial to the look of halo's.
That is a gorgeous ring :love: ...but not quite what I have in mind for this piece (maybe one of the many others I have to set).

Here are some more pictures I think would be pretty.

Basic halo (I do want something with a low mount)
halo5.jpg
halo6.jpg

This stunning Leon ring with bright cut pave (now I have a limited understanding of what that is...thanks Acinom.) :D
halo7.jpg
halo8.jpg

I LOVE the look of engraving...but I also really want sparkly diamonds.
engraving_1.jpg
engraving2.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Sure thing! Ah, okay. Sorry. For some reason I thought someone else posted those. That's what I get for looking/posting before I had my morning coffee.

It seems like you want a traditional halo that's low set. Do you know the depth of your stone? I wonder if there's room to have fun/play with the profile or gallery. Or you could add diamonds on the band, if you streamline the profile/gallery.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1453903627|3982289 said:
Sure thing! Ah, okay. Sorry. For some reason I thought someone else posted those. That's what I get for looking/posting before I had my morning coffee.

It seems like you want a traditional halo that's low set. Do you know the depth of your stone? I wonder if there's room to have fun/play with the profile or gallery. Or you could add diamonds on the band, if you streamline the profile/gallery.

Thanks ok...nothing makes sense before coffee.
The dimensions are 7x6x4

I'd be interested in any profile / gallery ideas too. :naughty:

S

SparkliesLuver

Thanks for understanding. :)

4mm isn't deep, so my guess is you'd have more of a gallery than profile. That said, I think this would be gorgeous. (I want to use it someday too!) Not sure if you like symmetry or asymmetry better, but either could work. ETA: It'd also leave the gallery pretty open for light, which I think would be good.

r6957-4wx.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver, that is freaking gorgeous. :love:
I never thought of doing anything like that. It really is stunning.

S

SparkliesLuver

haha Yay, glad you think so! Yeah, I've had it in my folder for quite awhile. I know some PSers have done versions of it, so I'm sure there are other pictures around.

niter

Rough_Rock
Beautiful tourmaline! Did you acquire that in December? J. Brims has had some gorgeous stones. Where did you get your second down one? I am extremely fond of blue green tourmalines, particularly those with gradients!

I cannot wait to see you set all of them :)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
niter|1453917554|3982427 said:
Beautiful tourmaline! Did you acquire that in December? J. Brims has had some gorgeous stones. Where did you get your second down one? I am extremely fond of blue green tourmalines, particularly those with gradients!

I cannot wait to see you set all of them :)

Yup, I got that in December. He had a fantastic video for it on his Facebook page. One look and I was in love. :love:

Actually, all three are from Jason Brim. The two bottom ones are pending (I'm still deciding if I want to keep them both). The middle green one has a great video on his Facebook page...I wish I knew how to link it. It was posted on January 8th so you can probably scroll back to see it.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I just received my CADs from David Klass and I could use some help.

Here are my inspiration pics (thank you SparkliesLuver).

image_4233.jpg image_4234.jpg

And here are the CADs. David said he didn't have enough room to do the exact gallery pattern, since the Leon ring had a larger center stone. There will be diamonds on the shank and halo.

image_4232.jpg

What do you guys think? For the life of me, I can't read CADs (and I've seen plenty, while I spend way too much time on this forum) :shock:
Would you change anything? Should the gallery be something more suitable for a smaller stone?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also not great at reading CADs, but my initial thought is that maybe the gallery is a bit "busy"? Perhaps the V shape on all 4 sides would be less busy compared to what is there now (which I see as V shape on 2 sides and W shape on the other two). Sorry if that's confusing, but to my eye I think just the V on all 4 sides would leave more room for light to come in and would overall fit better.

Obviously the design is gorgeous as is, but that is the one potential thing I would change. Either way it's going to be a knockout ring! :wavey:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1454418776|3985585 said:
I am also not great at reading CADs, but my initial thought is that maybe the gallery is a bit "busy"? Perhaps the V shape on all 4 sides would be less busy compared to what is there now (which I see as V shape on 2 sides and W shape on the other two). Sorry if that's confusing, but to my eye I think just the V on all 4 sides would leave more room for light to come in and would overall fit better.

Obviously the design is gorgeous as is, but that is the one potential thing I would change. Either way it's going to be a knockout ring! :wavey:

Thank you. I truly appreciate all feedback.
I was wondering the same thing, when David said he couldn't fit everything in there due to the smaller size.
What do you think about an a-symmetrical design? I can't find a picture of what I'm talking about but its where the "bubbles" are randomly placed instead of even lines?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be bringing this up with David, as well, but what does that "2 tone" mean? :shock:
I asked for the ring in white gold. Is this cad supposed to be representative of a different color?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_71125|1454424498|3985604 said:
lovedogs|1454418776|3985585 said:

Thank you. I truly appreciate all feedback.
I was wondering the same thing, when David said he couldn't fit everything in there due to the smaller size.
What do you think about an a-symmetrical design? I can't find a picture of what I'm talking about but its where the "bubbles" are randomly placed instead of even lines?

I think asymmetrical would also look good, so long as it is really is "random" and doesn't look like too much on one side and not enough on another haha. So I guess asymmetrical but still balanced is what I'd ask for?

About your other post (in terms of 2-tone), I always thought that referred to color of gold? So maybe he thinks you want the gold color on the gallery to be 2 tone? Or something? I'd definitely ask him to clarify :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results