shape
carat
color
clarity

2016 Summer Olympics @ Rio

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The lead up to this year's Olympic games has been fraught with scandals of various nature, health concerns, and crime. That aside, I love, love, love watching the Olympics and am so excited they are starting Friday night! I hope all of the competitors remain safe and healthy.

Do you watch? What are your favorite events?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't usually watch much sport on TV apart from a bit of tennis or golf. When it comes to the Olympics though, we often end up watching things we know nothing about, like weightlifting or shooting, it's just really interesting learning about it all. We're still on school holidays so I'm sure the Games will be on in our house most of next week!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I love the Olympics, so much. Normally not a sports person, but the Olympics aren't really "sports," so much as humans. I've also been reading about the problems in Brazil. Google did an amazing thing on life in the favelas: https://beyondthemap.withgoogle.com/en-us/

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Yes! We love to watch the Olympics. My favorites in the summer Olympics include track, gymnastics, and swimming.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so excited! My favourites are anything equestrian, gymnastics and diving (espec synchronized!).

I will watch pretty much anything if it's on. The other day I was at a sports bar, and they were doing US track qualifications. I obviously had less interest being it was American, but it was still cool to watch!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Countdown to the opening ceremony tonight! Super excited!

Snowdrop, during the Olympics I also watch things that I otherwise likely wouldn't. During the last winter games, I finally watched curling and it turns out I really liked it. Surprisingly suspenseful and entertaining.

Rockinruby, thank you for the list of events, scheduling and streams. Very convenient to have it all right here.

Rubybeth, I love the human interest portion of coverage. The athletes are so diverse there are many inspiring stories. I''m quite amazed by the refugee team after all they have been through.
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/team-refugees https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugee_Olympic_Team_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics

Momhappy, track, gymnastics and swimming are always fun to watch. The US has several returning swimmers so it should be interesting to see how they do, and Michael Phelps will be carrying the flag during the opening ceremony.

telephone89, diving at the Olympic competition level is hard enough, let alone synchronized diving! It's fascinating.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hehe guy just said sex instead of success.

Best part of the evening.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enjoying the opening ceremonies here! Distinctly lower budget than the past few OC's, but that's OK by me. I'm enjoying the energy and the history and culture that they're showcasing.

Besides, it would be impossible to top the queen parachuting from a helicopter... ;))

ETA - OK, so maybe the producers didn't need to cut over to Gisele Bundchen quite so often!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always always watch the summer Olympics though due to the IOCs complete lack of oversight or concern for the Olympic athletes I will lbe boycotting them.

It won't mean anything to anyone, but still

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy moly. Crazy end to the women's bike race. American Mara Abbott had the lead for quite a while, including on bad road conditions and at times up to 39 seconds. At about 2.5 football fields from the finish, she was overtaken and came in fourth. Yikes! Well played, Netherlands, Sweden and Italy who came in gold, silver and bronze, respectively.

On a side note, the crash on the descent was awful to see.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you guys see the 41 year old gymnast in her 7th Olympics? She is from Uzbekistan. Unbelievable. I am so inspired!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
My family thought we heard her age incorrectly at first. She was absolutely incrediblehe Olympics!

My boys asked to watch Daddy's show while he was out picking up my mom from the airport. At first I was confused as football season has not started yet. :loopy: I was pleased to find out that they were referring to the Olympics. My 4 year olds just love it. They just know that they are doing everything that the athletes are doing as they were jumping, tumbling and running around. :lol: . Today at the pool should be interesting as my little swimmers also watched synchronized diving. I am thankful that we do not have a diving board-LOL. They are quite athletic so it will be interesting to see how the Olympics inspires my little guys in the future.

The drama surrounding the last couple of Olympics and the current one have taken away some of the joy that I associated with it as a child. The disregard for the health of the Olympians and/or the inhabitants of the host city and other unsavory factors sadden me. Clearly, I am conflicted but I love the competition and am glad that the top athletes in the world are still able to compete against each other.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watch just about all events (archery, swimming, cycling, gymnastics, soccer / football, air rifle, track & field, equestrian, Taekwondo, etc).

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
U.S. Women's beach volleyball....THEY ROCK!!! Kerri Jennings Walsh and April Ross. BOSS AND BOSS.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Swimming and gymnastics. There is a 41 year old gymnast vaulting and representing her country.

Oh, I like diving too.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kristin Armstrong 3rd Olympic gold in cycling. 43 years old. Oldest US woman to win since 1904. INSPIRATIONAL.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shaunae Miller diving for the win at the end of the women's 400 meter seems sketchy to me, but apparently it's within the rules. I've seen runners stick their neck out to win, but not dive. I think winning a track meet should require being upright.

On a different note, notice two pairs of sibling Olympians (not including Venus and Serena Williams) so far this year. A pair of sisters in gymnastics and another pair of sisters in swimming. Quite amazing to have one Olympian in the family let alone two! I don't recall hearing of that in prior Olympics. Out of curiosity, I just looked it up online and their are 36 sets of siblings this year including triplets! http://www.thisisinsider.com/siblings-who-are-competing-in-the-olympics-2016-rio-2016-8/#callum-hawkins-left-will-run-the-marathon-for-great-britain-alongside-older-brother-derek-15

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thrills, chills and spills! Have been entertained!! :appl: :appl: Thank you Olympians!!

cheers--Sharon

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
mary poppins|1471369471|4066629 said:
Shaunae Miller diving for the win at the end of the women's 400 meter seems sketchy to me, but apparently it's within the rules. I've seen runners stick their neck out to win, but not dive. I think winning a track meet should require being upright.

I don't disagree with you, but as you mentioned it's within the rules and the USA has benefited from this as well. Here's more on the topic:
http://www.vox.com/2016/8/15/12495316/allyson-felix-shaunae-miller-400-meter-olympics-rio

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
mary poppins|1471369471|4066629 said:

On a different note, notice two pairs of sibling Olympians (not including Venus and Serena Williams) so far this year. A pair of sisters in gymnastics and another pair of sisters in swimming. Quite amazing to have one Olympian in the family let alone two! I don't recall hearing of that in prior Olympics. Out of curiosity, I just looked it up online and their are 36 sets of siblings this year including triplets! http://www.thisisinsider.com/siblings-who-are-competing-in-the-olympics-2016-rio-2016-8/#callum-hawkins-left-will-run-the-marathon-for-great-britain-alongside-older-brother-derek-15

I agree with you. I know it's within the rules, but I agree in that it just doesn't feel right. Diving for the finish line sort of feels like a form of cheating (even though technically it is not).

Has anyone been watching diving? Some pretty odd things have been happening (green pool water, wind gusts, etc.) and this:
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/8/16/12504022/2016-rio-olympics-video-ilya-zakharov-belly-flop-springboard

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm enjoying the golf since I picked up playing again earlier this year after a few-year hiatus following my last car accident. I'm trying to pick up a few tips in their swings while enjoying seeing all the players (men & ladies from all countries) tackle a 'new' course and compete for their country vs. their wallet/sponsor. And given golf hasn't been part of the Olympics for almost 100 years, it's historic to see it return, and REALLY historic & special for those who place. :appl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Seeing Usain Bolt carry around the stuffed yellow mascot after winning his first gold medal race was SOOOO charming---he didn't let it go! We LOLOL...... :bigsmile: :appl:

cheers--Sharon

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results