shape
carat
color
clarity

Can metal polish scratch a diamond?

defonseca

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I have a lovely palladium ring with some small diamonds flush-set in the band. I used an "all natural" jewelry polishing cream in an attempt to buff some scratches out of the metal. After, I soaked the ring in jewelry cleaner to remove any remaining cream residue, brushed it and rinsed it off thoroughly. Now I'm not sure if it's just my imagination, but the diamonds in the band seem to have less sparkle than they did before I polished it. Under a loupe, I noticed that the table facets of the diamonds have a mottled appearance and a few scratches. Is it possible that the polish I used caused this to happen or is it more likely that the surface markings were already on the diamonds and I just didn't notice them before? I feel foolish that I may have unintentionally damaged the polish of the diamonds. :(

Thank you for any input. I greatly appreciate it.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
defonseca|1396541913|3646642 said:
Hi all,

I have a lovely palladium ring with some small diamonds flush-set in the band. I used an "all natural" jewelry polishing cream in an attempt to buff some scratches out of the metal. After, I soaked the ring in jewelry cleaner to remove any remaining cream residue, brushed it and rinsed it off thoroughly. Now I'm not sure if it's just my imagination, but the diamonds in the band seem to have less sparkle than they did before I polished it. Under a loupe, I noticed that the table facets of the diamonds have a mottled appearance and a few scratches. Is it possible that the polish I used caused this to happen or is it more likely that the surface markings were already on the diamonds and I just didn't notice them before? I feel foolish that I may have unintentionally damaged the polish of the diamonds. :(

Thank you for any input. I greatly appreciate it.
Polishing cream can't scratch diamond, but residue against a diamond's surface can alter its refractive index, causing it to sparkle less. If some of the cream got trapped in the band in the process this could happen. We frequently hear of residue-reflection appearing like scratches. It might explain the mottled appearance you see in the table.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to go to a jewelry store to have it cleaned well, and from here on out, only let a jeweler polish your metal.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Get an olf worn soft toothbrush, some Dawn dishwashing liquid, and scrub the setting top and bottom. Then see what it looks like. some metal polishes have an oily base to them and will leave a film. I polish my everyday diamond ring with Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish and that doesn't hurt the stones, but I do always have to scrub off the petroleum residue afterward.

defonseca

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your replies. It puts my mind at ease to hear that the slight diminishment in sparkle I'm seeing is due to residual cream, not damage I did to the diamonds' polish. That's an easier fix! And yes, this task is best left to a professional. :)

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
TC1987 said:
I polish my everyday diamond ring with Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish and that doesn't hurt the stones, but I do always have to scrub off the petroleum residue afterward.
I've been thinking about your comment since I read it. What metal are you polishing with Mother's Polish? I'm terribly afraid of losing my platinum's beautiful finish and am wondering if you found the key to keeping it shiny at home? Thanks.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I use it on everything: 14k, 18k, platinum, sterling silver, brass, copper, nickel, the silver that's on horse tack, nickelplate and silverplate (very gently), stainless steel, and of course, aluminum. It's a very fine abrasive in a kind of dry-ish paste, not wet and sloppy like silverpolish. I believe Simichrome (sp?) is similar, but more expensive and Mother's does a better job of putting a mirror shine on things. Jewelry still needs to go to the jeweler if it's to look showroom-new, but polishing with Mother's is a good stopgap.

It's also great on stainless cookware. I buy old Farberware and Revereware from '50s-90s, scrub it with SOS or Brillo pad if it needs it, then polish with Mother's and some of those pots look almost new when I'm done.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
That's a fabulous tip - thanks for sharing that. As for platinum, do you find that it keeps the patina at bay? I understand some people like the burnished grayer look platinum gets, but I find that I like it shiny, like brand new silver, or platinum of course. :cheeky: So I want to develop a strategy to keep it this way as long as possible to the best of my ability before getting it polished professionally.

Anyone else have any tips for keeping platinum shiny?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Can metal polish scratch a diamond?" Good question.
Some can.

Since diamond is so hard there are metal polishing compounds out there that contain diamond grit/dust/poweder.
Diamond can scratch diamond.

I have no idea how to be certain your polish does not contain ground up diamond power.
I'd guess diamond would be announced prominently on the packaging since it would make the product seem more desirable and perhaps justify a higher price/profit.
I'd also guess, and hope, no polish marketed for use on metal jewelry (as yours is) would contain diamond dust.

These are just guesses from a skeptic.
I doubt there are any regulations requiring disclosure of the presence of diamond in polishing compounds to protect people's diamonds from damage.

It was easy to google up a couple examples of diamond-containing metal polish, though this one is not marketed for polishing jewelry the second link is about polishing old metal watch cases.
So, be aware and alert when choosing a metal polish for your jewelry.

https://www.dme.net/catalog/DME/US%20Section%20H/index.html#26

Here's another mention of diamond dust in polishing compound used to polish watches:
Quote: "Metal polishing pastes contain abrasives (often diamond dust) the size of a few microns."
http://tuxgraphics.org/npa/polishing-metal/

screen_shot_2014-04-08_at_11.png

charks

Rough_Rock
Now I'm worried.

I usually clean my ring with an ionic cleaner or, if it's very dirty, in boiling water with washing up (suspended in a metal basket of course).

But, gradually over the years, my diamond appeared to be getting more yellow.

Then, last year, I was cleaning the metal with Simichrome polish and got some polish on the stone. When I wiped away the polish the diamond appeared much whiter so I polished the whole stone. It looked like brand new!!!!.

My theory is that I live in an area in the UK with very hard water and, over the years, it had left a deposit on the diamond.

Now I use Simichrome whenever I'm going out.

Am I damaging my diamond?

I've looked at it under a 'scope and it appears OK but is the damage cumulative?

I don't want to stop as my diamond has never looked better.

What should I do?

A very worried Charlotte.

P.S. Just bought a Gaggia, the steam wand produces a lovely shine on a mildly dirty diamond.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
charks|1397062531|3650553 said:
Now I'm worried.

I usually clean my ring with an ionic cleaner or, if it's very dirty, in boiling water with washing up (suspended in a metal basket of course).

But, gradually over the years, my diamond appeared to be getting more yellow.

Then, last year, I was cleaning the metal with Simichrome polish and got some polish on the stone. When I wiped away the polish the diamond appeared much whiter so I polished the whole stone. It looked like brand new!!!!.

My theory is that I live in an area in the UK with very hard water and, over the years, it had left a deposit on the diamond.

Now I use Simichrome whenever I'm going out.

Am I damaging my diamond?

I've looked at it under a 'scope and it appears OK but is the damage cumulative?

I don't want to stop as my diamond has never looked better.

What should I do?

A very worried Charlotte.

P.S. Just bought a Gaggia, the steam wand produces a lovely shine on a mildly dirty diamond.

If you have hard water you can prevent mineral build up by removing that water instead of letting evaporate.
After cleaning you can spray your diamond dry with canned air.
Or you can do a final dip in distilled water, which contains no minerals, and let it evaporate.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Charks, the kitty in your avatar is fetching.

charks

Rough_Rock
Thank you.

He went missing a year after I joined Pricescope.

It was on the day I visited the International Jewellery Show London.

He was 16.

I bought an asscher diamond at the show.

I associate that diamond with him going missing - if I hadn't gone to the show ..........?

It's sitting in my jewellery box still.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry! What a terrible thing to have happen on a day that should have been wonderful! 16 is old for a cat. I've heard it said that animals sometimes go off to hide when they don't feel well and know the end is coming.

Maybe in your mind you could associate your stone with his long and happy life rather than his loss? Then wearing your diamond every day would be like having him with you forever, a constant reminder of your bond. I'm sorry for your loss and for reminding you of it with my comment. I just thought he was beautiful in that picture and wanted to say so.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results