shape
carat
color
clarity

20 mm Amethyst 14k ring

NarnyTheGreat

Rough_Rock
I am trying to figure out the "street" value of my ring.

Does anyone know what its worth roughly?

The stone is 20 mm and the band is 14k yellow gold.

I would appreciate any help you all could give.

DSC05464.JPG

DSC05467.JPG

DSC05463.JPG

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Can you weigh the setting?

NarnyTheGreat

Rough_Rock
The thing is I can weigh the whole ring but I have NO idea how to weigh just the setting... I can post more pics of it side ways if that would help along with weight.

I really appreciate any help here. Advice on the best way to help you all help me? :D

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Weigh the whole thing and I can give you an estimate of the setting cost. The stone? No idea.

NarnyTheGreat

Rough_Rock
Ok I have weighed the whole thing and gotten more measurements...

The stone is 20 mm by 10 mm with a depth of (roughly) 3 mm.

The whole ring weighs 11 grams.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
11 grams of 14kt gold is worth $356. But that does not account for the stone. Assuming the stone weighs 3 grams, 9 grams of gold is $291 or so. Perhaps someone else can speak to the stone's worth. It is a lovely ring though.

NarnyTheGreat

Rough_Rock
Thank you, its a little dirty right now lol. I bought it at a garage sell like 10 years ago (partying days) for 5 dollars :shock: as club wear :lol: . I had NO idea it had any real value. I thought it was costume jewelry (so did the girls selling it to me). Only now that I am paying attention to the stock market and cost of gold did I realize its actually worth WAY more than 5$

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
NarnyTheGreat|1313786622|2994494 said:
Thank you, its a little dirty right now lol. I bought it at a garage sell like 10 years ago (partying days) for 5 dollars :shock: as club wear :lol: . I had NO idea it had any real value. I thought it was costume jewelry (so did the girls selling it to me). Only now that I am paying attention to the stock market and cost of gold did I realize its actually worth WAY more than 5$
Well, you got a good deal. I would think if you wanted to part with it now would be a good time with gold being at historic highs.

NarnyTheGreat

Rough_Rock
herekittykitty|1313786701|2994497 said:
NarnyTheGreat|1313786622|2994494 said:
Well, you got a good deal. I would think if you wanted to part with it now would be a good time with gold being at historic highs.

Thats what I was thinking. Though its just gonna go up and up and up. With the current (stagflation) period we are in, everyone everywhere is looking to protect their money.

If anyone has any idea about the stone I would really appreciate the help.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Amethyst isn't worth much per carat and also could be highly treated, so I think that sounds about right.

What a win for you with that gold though! I'd scrap the ring for the gold value and keep the amethyst to set into something more modern.

NarnyTheGreat

Rough_Rock
jstarfireb|1313796709|2994602 said:
Amethyst isn't worth much per carat and also could be highly treated, so I think that sounds about right.

What a win for you with that gold though! I'd scrap the ring for the gold value and keep the amethyst to set into something more modern.

Thats actually my plan now. Between my husband and I we have well over 1.5 ounces of gold and another 2 ounces of silver jewelry that we dont wear or use, I think its time to trade that in as well.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Nice find!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eventually you could take the stone out and use it for another project, say, a pendant. I have a very similar situation with a marquise-cut old peridot, pretty green, with no yellow in it, but the cut does not make it too attractive. Pendants are more versatile in form, though, so the stone can be used.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results