clarity

2.73 ACA vs 2.62 BGD or Custom CBI

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
WF also has this stone:

2.84 H VS1 $38,375

It costs slightly less than the:

2.73 G VVS2 $42,155

I’m not sure if the difference between the G and H will be noticeable and which one is a better purchase. Is the G color worth it?

The H is slightly larger and costs approx $4000 less.

What are your thoughts? Thank you!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Clarity-wise, you will not be able to tell a different between a VVS2 and a VS1 with nakes eyes. Color-wise, the H will be slightly more tinted than a G, viewing from the side. The color difference will not be as apparent viewing from the top. I would ask WF to take comparison photos and video to help with your decision. Both are gorgeous stones so you can't go wrong with either!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Some super colour sensitive folks might be able to tell the difference. I'm not one of them. LOL I have a mix of G & H in my pendant. Side by side, you would think they were the same colour. My studs are H's & again, when put up against my G, I cannot detect any colour difference.

The size of the H isn't considerably larger but the price is, $4000 US is about $5300 Can. I would buy the H myself.

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
For some reason the right one (G) looks more yellow to me???

Unless it’s a reflection making it look more yellow.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I notice is that when I dont focus in on the stones, the one on the left is slightly bigger (ever so slightly). If I focus in tightly on the
stones I dont see a size difference. I dont see a color difference from top or sides. I think I'm just not that sensitive to color.

Edit...for my budget and lack of color sensitivity it would be the H for the win!

Sahar

Rough_Rock
The H looks whiter to me too!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
From the photo, the G doesn't look any whiter than the H from the side profile. You can also check with WF on the color of the two stones in IRL. They will give you an honest opinion how close the two stones are color-wise.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
From the photo, the G doesn't look any whiter than the H from the side profile. You can also check with WF on the color of the two stones in IRL. They will give you an honest opinion how close the two stones are color-wise.

Good point. They could be a high H (nearer a G) and a low G (nearer an H) stones?

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
Liza said that in person she can tell the slight difference in the stones in color. She said she is color sensitive though. And that it will be hard to tell the difference in a video or photo.

She said that they both aren’t high or low G and H and they fall right in the middle in their color grades.

I think based on the price difference and that it so hard to see the color difference in the photo the H will be a better purchase!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would pick the H also. In this case, I don't think you'd get much more from the G, other than having 'G VVS2' on the certificate. I hope you post photos of the finished ring!

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all your input! I agree after seeing the photo of the comparison it’s not worth paying more for the G and VVS2

I have finally made a decision and put a deposit down for the 2.84 H VS1!

Can’t wait! Will post the update once we get the ring :)

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
After sleeping on it I’m really uneasy about going for an H with a larger stone. Worried that I’ll see some colour since Liza said in person she could tell the difference.

I don’t want this to keep me up at night and worried the stone is too tinted. I think going with the G might just be a safer choice since I can’t see it in person. She advised that the photo doesn’t give an accurate representation of the stones body color.

*Sigh* I think I’m going to switch back to my original choice 2.73 G for peace of mind. Who knew deciding between one color grade would be such a hard decision.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
After sleeping on it I’m really uneasy about going for an H with a larger stone. Worried that I’ll see some colour since Liza said in person she could tell the difference.

I don’t want this to keep me up at night and worried the stone is too tinted. I think going with the G might just be a safer choice since I can’t see it in person. She advised that the photo doesn’t give an accurate representation of the stones body color.

*Sigh* I think I’m going to switch back to my original choice 2.73 G for peace of mind. Who knew deciding between one color grade would be such a hard decision.

That’s what I would do too...I can see a difference in size when I stare at it...but on the finger it wouldn’t even be noticeable imho..The fact that she said they were right in the middle of the color grade would make me believe her and not the photos. I’m going for almost the same specs after Christmas..hopefully! Please post photos when you get it!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I immediately saw the difference in tint on the face up photo. Both diamonds are beautiful.

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
Here is a video they sent me of the two stones if anyone is interested in the comparison :)

They retook the photos as well.

43160647-9029-4D7C-930E-8EF1628E0ADF.jpeg 7F493B4E-23C0-4E2F-AE32-46A0024B35E6.jpeg

It is hard to see the difference in the photo with the side view, but I can see more warmth from the top view.

I can also see some more warmth in the video from the side view as well.

Not a huge difference, both are lovely!
(I ended up going with the G)

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
I think you made a wise decision. I have H studs which are fine for smaller stones, but I'd honestly prefer G in a ring stone. Plus, that stone was well priced, period.

I only started looking at diamonds recently so I have no baseline of how much they normally cost. That’s great to hear that it is a great price!

Do you find that in general prices are lower right now, or is it just this particular diamond priced really well?

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I only started looking at diamonds recently so I have no baseline of how much they normally cost. That’s great to hear that it is a great price!

Do you find that in general prices are lower right now, or is it just this particular diamond priced really well?
Prices, in general are, good right now. But the main reason why your stone is a awesome deal is because you will rarely find a ideal cut 9.1mm stone weighing 2.73, as most rough will be cut to hit the 3ct mark. Take this stone for example, it was clearly cut to hit the 3ct mark.

Face up, your stone will be the same size as this stone, and your stone will for sure outperform this stone. Yet, you are paying $14k less. The price per carat increase for a 3ct H VS1, will not be as much as a 3ct G VVS2, so in that respect, the G VVS2 is definitely the 'better buy'.

But whether or not the G VVS2 will look $4k more on the hand than the H VS1, is a whole other discussion Hope this makes sense!

Last edited:

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
Prices, in general are, good right now. But the main reason why your stone is a awesome deal is because you will rarely find a ideal cut 9.1mm stone weighing 2.73, as most rough will be cut to hit the 3ct mark. Take this stone for example, it was clearly cut to hit the 3ct mark.

Face up, your stone will be the same size as this stone, and your stone will for sure outperform this stone. Yet, you are paying $14k less. The price per carat increase for a 3ct H VS1, will not be as much as a 3ct G VVS2, so in that respect, the G VVS2 is definitely the 'better buy'.

But whether or not the G VVS2 will look $4k more on the hand than the H VS1, is a whole other discussion Hope this makes sense!

Ohhh that makes sense! Thank you for the explanation!

The support and wealth of knowledge here on PS is much appreciated!

Being more informed and having a better understanding makes me much more confident in the purchase.

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
HPD did get back to me with some quotes and options. It was significantly higher. Seems like the prices have gone up.

2.6 F VS2 for $49,553
2.5 G VVS for $49,885

Guess I’m getting a killer deal with the ACA 2.738 G VVS2 for $42,000!

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
This diamond just came out and I was curious how the angles on this one compare to the 2.738 that I put a deposit on. Which one is better?

Thank you!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
This diamond just came out and I was curious how the angles on this one compare to the 2.738 that I put a deposit on. Which one is better?

Thank you!

I would stay with the larger one personally. Ask if you can have a side by side comparison and their opinion if you are really not sure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results