shape
carat
color
clarity

2.35ct RB - Is this too shallow and going to look dark?

DanMgy

Rough_Rock
I have seen the stone in multiple lighting environments and I am still unsure, at times it looks so bright, brilliant and full of fire but than at other times it seems to be lacking that life. I am not sure if that's the case with all stones or just because this stone has such a large spread and is shallow? :confused:

It is an AGS stone and graded as 1 - Light performance, 0 - Polish, 0 - Symmetry. The AGS ASET image looks great, right amount of colors in the right places and the HCA has it rated as Excellent in all four categories with a score of 0.7. One of the key things I really like about the stone is how wide the spread is, makes it look like a 2.5/2.6ct stone. But if this is going to look dark and flat more often than not, I will give that up and go with something that will perform significantly better.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated... thanks! :wavey:

Here is the link and measurements:
http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104047975001-PLDQR.PDF

Shape and Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 8.64 - 8.70 x 5.21 mm

Cut Grade: AGS Excellent 1
Color Grade: AGS 2.5 (I)
Clarity Grade: AGS 3 (VS1)
Carat Weight 2.356
Fluorescence: Negligible

Light Performance: 1
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal

Table: 56.3%
Crown Angle: 33.4
Crown Height: 14.3%
Girdle: Faceted, 1.3% to 3.6%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star Length: 47%
Lower Girdle Length: 77%
Total Depth: 60.1%
Culet: Pointed

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamonds aren't actually LEDs all the time, no matter how much it might seem that way from the way we talk about them ;)) in some lights it'll be a fireball of colour, in some lights it'll flash white, in still other lights you'll see ever-changing patterns of black and white facets as you move the stone... some might consider this 'lacking life'.

Give it a good scrub, dry it well so there aren't any water stains, and take it to your local jeweller and compare with other stones of various proportions in various types of light - by a window, under the spotlights, under a desk. See if yours actually lacks life (nothing to indicate that) or if it's just - being a diamond! Otherwise could be you just personally prefer an aesthetic that results from different types of proportions..

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Should be fine, maybe the paddles of 1, 7 o'clock case the downgrade. No way to tell without actual idealscope image. Obstruction occurs when you are viewing the stone too closely, if you are looking at it from an arm's length away and it does not look as well, then it is not due to obstruction, which is cause by the stone being too shallow.

Can you compare it with another AGS0 stone of similar size side by side? If both goes dark at the same lighting conditions, then it is the lighting condition.

DanMgy

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold11|1308526357|2949740 said:
Can you compare it with another AGS0 stone of similar size side by side? If both goes dark at the same lighting conditions, then it is the lighting condition.

That is the real hard part for two reasons. One, I have not been able to find anything close to that ct. weight with that kind of spread. Everything has been narrower and deeper.

The second reason is every single jeweler I have been to refuses to look at or acknowledge AGS stones as comparable to GIA and only carry GIA. I am located in South FL and the places I have been to seem to all be in a conspiracy against AGS and all tell me how it will have bad resell value (this is when I tell them I do not ever plan to sell the stone). But neither here nor there, the fact of the matter is I would have a better chance of finding a photo of the lockness monster sitting on the grassy knoll with a rifle than finding an AGS 000 in the Miami area.

Stone-cold11|1308526357|2949740 said:
maybe the paddles of 1, 7 o'clock case the downgrade.

I thought that, but I have seen many many other ASET images with far worse structure and disarray that have scored a 0 for Light Performance.

I called AGS and asked them if they could explain why this missed the 0 score. A very nice lady pulled up the report and had a hard time understanding it, but said that her records said it missed is by less that 0.5%. She pulled it up and said that she could not really tell and it is all based on same large math equation.

DanMgy

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1308526114|2949738 said:
diamonds aren't actually LEDs all the time, no matter how much it might seem that way from the way we talk about them ;)) in some lights it'll be a fireball of colour, in some lights it'll flash white, in still other lights you'll see ever-changing patterns of black and white facets as you move the stone... some might consider this 'lacking life'.

Give it a good scrub, dry it well so there aren't any water stains, and take it to your local jeweller and compare with other stones of various proportions in various types of light - by a window, under the spotlights, under a desk. See if yours actually lacks life (nothing to indicate that) or if it's just - being a diamond! Otherwise could be you just personally prefer an aesthetic that results from different types of proportions..

Under most light it is pretty decent and you are right, I guess I am just expecting it to always be bright, shiny and sparkle and probably (I hope) it is a diamond just being a diamond. :wacko:

I have tried viewing it using a tension setting so I can get a rough idea of what it will look like in a setting but not sure if it is helping or making it worse. Ultimately my FI and I have much different opions on how a diamond should look and since it's going on her finger we are going that route. She has the simple attitude bigger is better, just don't make it yellow and so you can see things looking at it. I think (hope) this stone will make the grade. Plus she will really only be wearing it for a few years until she gets her grandmothers, which is really a "rock" when compared to this stone.

DanMgy

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold11|1308594321|2950309 said:
Dutton's Diamond, is based in Fort Lauderdale, crafted by infinity dealer, he should have some AGS0 stones.

http://www.diamondexpert.com/

I greatly appreciate the thought and feedback, but like many of the places around here they are a "virtual" store in FL. No real store front and would have to order a stone for me to see.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results